Salary.sg Forums - View Single Post - Help needed for career progression
View Single Post
Old 12-09-2017, 04:12 PM
Unregistered

I think you are overpaid for your experience and capability. You would better stay at your current role or apply a less senior position for maybe 20-40% paycut to make yourself more competitive if you really want to venture out.

Quote:
Originally Posted by lostsoul View Post
Dear all seniors,

I am looking for some advice on a prospective career switch.

I am 30 this year, with a general degree (political science) from NUS FASS (2.1). Have a professional diploma in HR from SHRI. 5 years + working exp in HR - have been specialized in one/two specific functions - employee engagement and talent management.

My first job was at a stat-board for 4years - last drawn per annum was 90k.

I switched in early 2016 to a job to a gahment-linked entity (corporatized :P), title is AD - per annum around 110k (received around 120k for 16/17 due to good performance for the past performance year)

However, seeing that all the fellows on top of me are in their 40s and 50s with kids and all - they will never leave and hence I will probably never progress. The culture is very dated, true old skool public entity style - far worse than the stat-board I was in - mentality is : if it ain't broke, nobody needs to bother.

My boss finds me pretty entertaining and appreciates my work but will never allow me to drive any projects for change - just stick to status quo. Just gave me a good grade and expects me to shut up.

I would like to venture to the private sector as a Regional HR Business Partner/Country HRBP - have been interviewed by a few MNCs but I seem to falter in the 2nd/3rd round as they feel I do not have enough HR knowledge in multiple functions (to be a true HRBP) and they rather hire someone with the requisite skillsets. However, my hit-rate seems to be around 10% (I send to 10 MNCs - only 1-2 will revert)

Am I stuck? Do I have to take a massive paycut?

I am pretty miserable going to work daily. Any senior HR folks that has any good advice for me?