Salary.sg Forums - View Single Post - Been trying very hard to improve my career, but I feel stuck
View Single Post
Old 07-09-2017, 06:21 AM
Unregistered

From an hiring manager's perspective -

Qualifications:

What university did you graduate from? Since you did not specify, the assumption would be some state university low in the rankings. Your LSE exchange program adds to your employability, but cannot help you if your BA is from a low ranked university. Taking an online certificate from Cornell does not qualify you for anything. It shows you have a willingness to learn more, but once again cannot help you if your BA is from a low ranked university.

A BA in International Relations from the US leads to nowhere. International Relation jobs require at least a directly relevant Masters degree. That is probably why you cannot get a job in Washington.

Relevant work experience:

You had internships in London and Singapore, but did not specify what they are about. Are they all coffee making "jobs"?

Current situation:

The fact that you are paid $2,250 means it is a diploma level job. How did you "spearhead" website revamps? How can you have the authority to negotiate contract. How did you have the IT skills to deploy it?

The most likely scenario is that you helped do all these from an admin and coordination point of view, but since you seem to be taking the credit for all of it, it sounds very bad for you.

Conclusion:

I think you are suffering from illusions of grandeur. You have an impression that you are very well qualified and capable, and so good that your managers are inept and are desperately trying to hold you down.

My guess is that you are a rogue operator that your managers have to keep an eye on to avoid randomly breaking things.