Salary.sg Forums - View Single Post - Been trying very hard to improve my career, but I feel stuck
View Single Post
Old 06-09-2017, 05:33 PM
Midas

It seems to me you are simply not good at playing the corporate game.

Let me put it to you directly even though you might not like it - it's going to be the same in 99% of any organization with sizable scale.

Do you really think everyone around you is really that stupid and nobody can see the obvious except your goodself? Chances are these people know exactly what you are on about and for their own interest choose to play the corporate game and act dumb on work matters to navigate the office politics.

You have 2 options really:

1) Be humble and start to learn how to play the real game. You might have impressive certs and excel skills, but that counts for squat in the real world. In skillsets that really matter for thriving in a large organization, you are a babe in the woods. This is evident by the fact that you seem only vaguely aware of the undercurrents in your present workplace despite working there for a year and also your poor interviewing skills resulting in no offers despite a decent CV and below market wages.

2) Remove yourself from the game and place yourself in situations where you don't need to play such games. Alternatives include taking up sales roles where pay is directly dependent on your own individual volumes, taking up freelance jobs whereby you are paid according to what you can deliver or join micro start ups where business is still building and everyone is trying to stay afloat and there is no time for such games.

Do not follow the worst and also most common path to failure - jump from company to company and insist on doing things your own "smart" way without properly managing stakeholders' interest, openly treat corporate politics with disdain, whine about how dumb your boss and colleagues are year after year without any tangible career progress.