Salary.sg Forums - Reply to Topic
Salary.sg Forums  

Go Back   Salary.sg Forums > The Salary.sg Discussion Forums: > Income and Jobs > Career advice for fresh grad

Income and Jobs Discuss jobs, career options and of course salaries




Salary.sg Forums

Thread: Career advice for fresh grad Reply to Thread
Your Username: Click here to log in
Human Verification To prove you are a human and not a computer program that spams, please check the box below and answer any further questions if prompted.

Title:
  
Message:
Post Icons
You may choose an icon for your message from the following list:
 

Additional Options
Miscellaneous Options

Topic Review (Newest First)
05-07-2015 02:47 PM
Unregistered
Quote:
Originally Posted by Unregistered View Post
quote for truth. I always wonder why grads limit themselves to finance industry. there are many other opportunities outside of finance.
most grads know nuts about finance, what they claim as love for finance is usually just a hazy concept of becoming some big shot banker or trader with big money rolling in after that. the ts is just like most grad dreamers - dun know anything about banking, but just want to do any job as long as it is in the bank trading dept.
04-07-2015 07:19 PM
Unregistered
Quote:
Originally Posted by Unregistered View Post
Might as well take a look at where you stand and go for normal PME jobs within & outside banking. Pay and career progression is decent enough for you to live on anyway.
quote for truth. I always wonder why grads limit themselves to finance industry. there are many other opportunities outside of finance.
26-06-2015 12:07 PM
bookwormm
Quote:
Originally Posted by Unregistered View Post
BO has recruiting cycles too... sounds like you missed another boat. Go for boutiques. Accept stipends or even unpaid internships.
That is probably the case. Thanks for your advice!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unregistered View Post
Why so fixated on banking jobs mate? It ain't all the glamourous as what the industry makes it out to be.

To be honest, you are requesting help from people here, to see if there are any other ways you could enter your dream job. But you're not revealing your qualifications. We don't even know which uni you're from, and what degree you have (can only assume its related to Comp Sci). It makes alot of diff if you're from Ivy leagues, local U, or long dist learning. Also makes alot of diff if you're Summa/FCH, or others.
Hi there, I know it's not as glamorous as it seems which is why I had a chat with my friend yesterday and we got into the topic about work versus interest. Unlike many others who demands to be in this industry, my stance is to learn more about the trade which, I am aware that can be accomplished through other means. With regards to why do I appear to be ignorant of the industry, perhaps it will be good only if the discussion is taken down to a private level.

I will love to reveal more if we were to communicate via private message, otherwise anything I mention here will probably get shot down one way or another. Having said all that, I really appreciate your thoughtful approach.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unregistered View Post
I dun think people are being particularly harsh here, just stating the facts. Nobody has called you names or insulted you in anyway, I'm not sure why you are so hostile calling people keyboard warriors, trying to psycho analyze that people who don't agree with you must be frustrated with reality etc. Seems like you are the one who can't accept reality.

You need to take stock where you are. You keep saying fluffy concepts about how you want to be a learned person but your actions so far don't display any enthusiasm at all.

First of all you never even tell anyone what exactly is your background, you muddled through 3-4 years in university (I assume) without any particular achievement or attempt to network or even understand how the banking sector works. Now that you graduate you haven't gotten anything, end up with a couple of IT temp jobs and still asking super basic questions like what jobs are there in the market is related to fx / securities.

And for a guy who professes such passion in banking, you are now telling us you haven't even applied for any BO roles. So let me get this straight, you claim earlier you are not looking for FO jobs, and now you tell us you haven't even applied for any BO jobs. So what exactly have you been doing so far? "Finding out" more? Jeez you are really taking it easy, maybe stat board is more suitable for you.
Yes you are right, the reality is placed right in front of me and that is the fact. I must apologize to sincere posters like yourself for my words in the earlier post, however I do stand by my point that some people here are plain keyboard warriors.

I do not deny that my words and actions are lacking enthusiasm and I might have missed the boat according to some earlier posts, however not everyone started off knowing what or how to navigate their career path; unfortunately I am probably the one that went around the entire forest. I shall make no excuses but neither am I giving in to the defeatist mentality. Perhaps my posting here isn't exactly to seek career advices but to unconsciously, get my well deserved wake up call and I really thank you for giving me a good one.
26-06-2015 11:03 AM
Unregistered Last time say want to be a oil trader & broker:
https://forums.salary.sg/income-jobs/...t-analyst.html

1 mth later become bank lover....
26-06-2015 09:44 AM
Unregistered I dun think people are being particularly harsh here, just stating the facts. Nobody has called you names or insulted you in anyway, I'm not sure why you are so hostile calling people keyboard warriors, trying to psycho analyze that people who don't agree with you must be frustrated with reality etc. Seems like you are the one who can't accept reality.

You need to take stock where you are. You keep saying fluffy concepts about how you want to be a learned person but your actions so far don't display any enthusiasm at all.

First of all you never even tell anyone what exactly is your background, you muddled through 3-4 years in university (I assume) without any particular achievement or attempt to network or even understand how the banking sector works. Now that you graduate you haven't gotten anything, end up with a couple of IT temp jobs and still asking super basic questions like what jobs are there in the market is related to fx / securities.

And for a guy who professes such passion in banking, you are now telling us you haven't even applied for any BO roles. So let me get this straight, you claim earlier you are not looking for FO jobs, and now you tell us you haven't even applied for any BO jobs. So what exactly have you been doing so far? "Finding out" more? Jeez you are really taking it easy, maybe stat board is more suitable for you.
26-06-2015 09:01 AM
Unregistered Why so fixated on banking jobs mate? It ain't all the glamourous as what the industry makes it out to be.

To be honest, you are requesting help from people here, to see if there are any other ways you could enter your dream job. But you're not revealing your qualifications. We don't even know which uni you're from, and what degree you have (can only assume its related to Comp Sci). It makes alot of diff if you're from Ivy leagues, local U, or long dist learning. Also makes alot of diff if you're Summa/FCH, or others.
26-06-2015 01:54 AM
Unregistered
Quote:
Originally Posted by bookwormm View Post
Hi there, thanks for your kind input! I really appreciate your effort to break down my issue and kindly explain things in detail perspective unlike others trying to shoot me down.

I understand how my current status looks like and I've just applied to the related posts not too long ago (since they are just posted), and yes I fully understand your advices/ message. I will see what can I do from here. Thank you so much!

To the other posters, yes reality isn't kind and I can see why you people are so frustrated. To clear things up, i didnt apply for any BO positions (yet) since im still exploring. As for the contractual offer, i didnt apply for that as well. I am not publishing any more info since I'm still getting shot down either way.

Being a keyboard warrior is easy, but being a helpful is difficult. Call my attitude shitty, label me as emotional, as I've said, being a keyboard warrior is easy I'm sure you know.

Thank you for all your kind input.
BO has recruiting cycles too... sounds like you missed another boat. Go for boutiques. Accept stipends or even unpaid internships.
26-06-2015 12:37 AM
bookwormm
Quote:
Originally Posted by Unregistered View Post
From what I understand, your top-most preferred career is in the Securities/FX industry. Unfortunately, you've not managed to obtain a job there despite multiple applications. Nevertheless, although you're still ultimately interested in the Securities/FX industry, you don't mind trying out other job functions in a bank as long as they are decently good.

Current Status: Recent Graduate in NUS Economics; Have a contract offer at the IT department in a bank.

I don't like to discourage people, but like the other posters, my opinion is that it'll be a tough challenge to get into your preferred job. The reason being: (1) You're a graduate, and thus will not fit into the "undergraduate" criteria for internships in most companies; (2) The securities/fx industry is competitive to get into; (3) The securities/fx industry is getting even tougher every year; (4) Qualifications - I'm not sure of your class of honours and relevant internships.

If you would still like to try, your best bet would be to reach out for connections/people:
1) School: Your Alma Mater's career services and Alumni
2) Personal contacts: Family, Friends, Relatives, etc.
3) Publicly-available information: Apply/network/call/etc to all available Securities/FX jobs in all companies, whether they are in banks, boutiques or family offices.

Doing the above can be very time-consuming and it doesn't guarantee that you'll get a job in the end. However, you'll never know if you never try. One thing to note is that life will not be all rainbows and sunshine even if you manage to get into one in the end. The industry is tough and will be even tougher in the years ahead. Don't think too much about compensation/etc; it may not be as attractive as what you may think it is to be. Job may be quite volatile too.

Anyway, I would think that Tech isn't too bad these days as their roles are changing. However, this would depend on what you actually do within the bank (e.g. pioneering the bank's transformation towards digital platforms, or, just solving technical issues?).
Hi there, thanks for your kind input! I really appreciate your effort to break down my issue and kindly explain things in detail perspective unlike others trying to shoot me down.

I understand how my current status looks like and I've just applied to the related posts not too long ago (since they are just posted), and yes I fully understand your advices/ message. I will see what can I do from here. Thank you so much!

To the other posters, yes reality isn't kind and I can see why you people are so frustrated. To clear things up, i didnt apply for any BO positions (yet) since im still exploring. As for the contractual offer, i didnt apply for that as well. I am not publishing any more info since I'm still getting shot down either way.

Being a keyboard warrior is easy, but being a helpful is difficult. Call my attitude shitty, label me as emotional, as I've said, being a keyboard warrior is easy I'm sure you know.

Thank you for all your kind input.
25-06-2015 07:18 PM
Unregistered
533

Those roles are probably filled up before ur final exam. Why you so late then apply?
25-06-2015 05:32 PM
Unregistered It is an open secret that in order to go into lucrative banking jobs, the standard way is to go for summer internships in global banks. Worse come to worse should at least have a short intern stint with local banks or related FIs. Now already graduate then say want to explore what kind of fx or securities jobs is too late already.

If all you are getting so far is only temp IT contract jobs, means not only your network is missing, even your CV & interview performance is very weak. Normal local uni grads should at least be able to get a perm offer for some BO jobs.
This thread has more than 10 replies. Click here to review the whole thread.

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off




All times are GMT +8. The time now is 04:45 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.5
Copyright ©2000 - 2022, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.3.2