Salary.sg Forums - Reply to Topic
Salary.sg Forums  

Go Back   Salary.sg Forums > The Salary.sg Discussion Forums: > Income and Jobs > High Finance Thread

Income and Jobs Discuss jobs, career options and of course salaries




Salary.sg Forums

 Citibank Cash Back Card - up to $350 cash back* - Click to Apply Now 
Thread: High Finance Thread Reply to Thread
Your Username: Click here to log in
Human Verification To prove you are a human and not a computer program that spams, please check the box below and answer any further questions if prompted.

Title:
  
Message:
Post Icons
You may choose an icon for your message from the following list:
 

Additional Options
Miscellaneous Options

Topic Review (Newest First)
06-08-2020 09:45 AM
Unregistered Deutsche Bank, duh
05-08-2020 08:20 PM
Unregistered
Quote:
Originally Posted by Unregistered View Post
Hey guys

This post isnt for asking for career advice.

What do you think about DB moving their apac hq to Singapore. I assume this is due to them distancing themselves from China. However, is it likely that they will move back immediately after the november election when things cool down?

Cheers
what tf is a DB?
04-08-2020 04:20 PM
gutenberg03129g
Quote:
Originally Posted by Unregistered View Post
Hey guys

This post isnt for asking for career advice.

What do you think about DB moving their apac hq to Singapore. I assume this is due to them distancing themselves from China. However, is it likely that they will move back immediately after the november election when things cool down?

Cheers
It would be pretty silly for them to move their APAC HQ to Singapore only to move it back to Hong Kong within a year or two. Anyway, from what I understand, the HQ isnít actually moving, itís just that the CEO will be based here. And this has happened before; itís nothing really new, and DB's APAC office recently reaffirmed the dual Hong Kong-Singapore hub strategy.
03-08-2020 04:18 PM
equiteer
Quote:
Originally Posted by Unregistered View Post
Hi I am a singaporean studying economics in UK(LSE/Cambridge). I am trying to move back to Singapore after I graduate next year. I have done an internship at a EB in london (evercore/lazard) and gotten an ft offer.

However, my aim is to be move back to Singapore, preferably the buyside(PE) after i graduate. How is the PE industry in Singapore? I know a few US megafunds such as KKR have a presence here as well as regional players such as hiltonhouse and also the SWFs.

Do these funds have an analyst program or do they recruit for associate only?
Also how does the compensation vary (eg for the associate level, does KKR/Apollo pay the same as their NY counterparts?)
To my knowledge, megafunds don't run structured analyst/associate programs here--hiring is usually as needed / ad-hoc. Teams are small and seats are few so competition is arguably even tougher.

If you're set on building a career in PE in this region, I'd say broaden your horizons to smaller mid-mkt / regional firms as well. The pay may be slightly lower than at the megas but it's still at the top end of most financial careers. Deal flow also tends to be better and promotions faster if you get into the right seat at the right time.
03-08-2020 04:04 PM
equiteer
Quote:
Originally Posted by Unregistered View Post
To the author of this thread (Equiteer), I wonder if there is any method we can connect here in sg haha, would like to have a tea with you (and it is on me).

Basically I am currently in public investing for less than 2 years but thinking of making a switch to private equity. I am wondering if the risk/reward is worth it for me to make the move.
yes, pm me--i made the same move.
03-08-2020 04:33 AM
Unregistered
Quote:
Originally Posted by Unregistered View Post
I have recently graduated from one of the 3 local unis with a fin/acc degree. I have previously interned with a global AM fund for 7 mths in an investment analyst role. Unfortunately, the firm does not hire fresh grads. I graduated with a gpa of 3.9+/5 (second lower). With my cv, is it possible to get into any decent AM firms. If not, would I stand a chance for smaller firms and how much do they pay for fresh grads?

Thanks!
Probably low chance with AM firms. But why not just try and apply?
02-08-2020 09:38 PM
Unregistered
bad gpa

I have recently graduated from one of the 3 local unis with a fin/acc degree. I have previously interned with a global AM fund for 7 mths in an investment analyst role. Unfortunately, the firm does not hire fresh grads. I graduated with a gpa of 3.9+/5 (second lower). With my cv, is it possible to get into any decent AM firms. If not, would I stand a chance for smaller firms and how much do they pay for fresh grads?

Thanks!
02-08-2020 11:35 AM
Unregistered Hey guys

This post isnt for asking for career advice.

What do you think about DB moving their apac hq to Singapore. I assume this is due to them distancing themselves from China. However, is it likely that they will move back immediately after the november election when things cool down?

Cheers
01-08-2020 06:00 PM
Unregistered
Quote:
Originally Posted by Unregistered View Post
Unfortunately PE isn't that big in Asia. Most of the largest shops don't even have an office in Singapore.

If you're really looking for a role in buy-side, you should look at our local SWFs (GIC/Temasek) or vanilla asset management (Fidelity/Templeton/Blackrock/Capital), many more opportunities in these areas compared to PE.
Hi Thanks for the response.

I am the guy who in studying econs in uk. I am just a student so i may be extremely inaccurate.

Why do you say that most big shops(I assume u mean mf) dont have a Singaporean presence. I thought apollo, kkr, warburg, carlyle have a pe team in sg. Do you mean that most of the sea deals are sourced in the hk office instead of Singapores.

Im not interested in being in asset management or pwm although i know that Singapore is a regional hub for it.

Just wanted to ask why you said that the Asian pe market is small. I understand that the pe market is not mature in asia as compared to europe/us. However, dosent the new kkr, apollos or bxs asia fund size indicate that LPs are interested in getting the chinese/sea investment despite lower returns.

Again, im just a student so I might be highly inaccurate.
26-07-2020 01:11 PM
Unregistered
Quote:
Originally Posted by Unregistered View Post
Currently a student pursing a diploma in International trade and business in Ngee ann poly.

Interested in working in the banking/investment industry (probably M&A, PE, Capital/debt underwriting, etc).

My GPA is aroud 3.6. Might not be able to enter local Uni.

What are the options and paths for me to enter this industry?

Is it very challenging to get hired?

Which jobs in banking and investment do not require 10+ hours/ day and still pay a high pay?
I really like this question. I also want to know. Basically he is asking how does a dumb**** (him and me) with no money, no connection, no background in IB/PE and no looks (me. Not sure about him) can get a high paying job with max pay (for me preferably starting at >$10k p.m.)and min work hours (preferably 9-5 sharp. Not one min more). If anyone know of such jobs please let me know too....
This thread has more than 10 replies. Click here to review the whole thread.

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off




All times are GMT +8. The time now is 05:11 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.5
Copyright ©2000 - 2020, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.3.2