Whats your net worth - Page 159 - Salary.sg Forums
Salary.sg Forums  

Go Back   Salary.sg Forums > The Salary.sg Discussion Forums: > Investments and Net Worth

Investments and Net Worth Talk all about money making exploits, shares, property and building net worth

Whats your net worth

Old 10-10-2013, 11:04 PM
Unregistered

Said Nicholas Mak, executive director, research and consultancy department at SLP International:

"For the whole of 2013, the private residential property price index is projected to increase by 1-3 per cent year-on-year.

The price index for CCR and RCR could register a 0 to -2 per cent year-on-year change.

For non-landed properties located in the OCR, the price index is likely to increase 7-9 per cent year-on-year," he said.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

The Total Debt Servicing Ratio (TDSR) framework has made its presence felt, crimping prices and volumes in pocket segments of the private and public residential markets.

Prices of Singapore's private homes rose a marginal 0.4 per cent in Q3, according to the Urban Redevelopment Authority's (URA) flash estimate, compared with the one per cent gain seen in the previous quarter.

Specifically, prices of non-landed homes in the Core Central Region (CCR) slipped 0.5 per cent in Q3, compared with a 0.2 per cent dip the previous quarter.

In a similar vein, prices of city-fringe homes dropped 1.1 per cent, reversing a 0.2 per cent rise in Q2. This is the first decrease since the first quarter of last year.

"The third quarter's price changes are significant in that two market segments, that is, CCR and Rest of Central Region (RCR) posted price declines simultaneously. As these two segments rely more on investor demand, this group of buyers has been affected more significantly by all the cooling measures in place, including the TDSR curbs," said Ong Teck Hui, national director, research and consultancy, at Jones Lang LaSalle.

But the prices of city-fringe homes might register a larger drop when the finalised index is released, given that the preliminary numbers are based on caveats lodged during the first 10 weeks of the quarter, said Desmond Sim, associate director, CBRE Research.

"CBRE expects that when the transactions from recent new launches such as Thomson Three and Sky Vue have been included, the final Q3 2013 islandwide price index might turn out to be the same level as the Q2 2013 index," he said.

Lowering price expectations in light of the new curbs on housing loans has been one way developers have tried to overcome the slower sales momentum, said Chia Siew Chuin, director of research and advisory at Colliers International.

Some developers have also opened showflats a couple of weeks before sales bookings begin to allow potential homebuyers time to obtain approval for housing loans.

That being said, transaction volumes have dropped across all market segments. According to data provided by Knight Frank Singapore, total volume in the CCR and RCR fell 61 per cent and 72 per cent quarter-on-quarter. In the Outside Central Region (OCR), where mass market homes are located, transaction volumes fell 50 per cent quarter-on-quarter.

While prices in the OCR rose in Q3, the increase of 2.1 per cent was overshadowed by the 3.8 per cent gain seen in Q2.

According to Knight Frank, average prices of new sale private non-landed homes in the OCR was around $1,332 psf in Q3, compared with $1,096 in Q2.

Looking ahead, Mr Ong said that he expects the OCR price increase to continue moderating over the next few quarters, while CCR and RCR prices could show a gradual softening trend.

He noted: "Year-to-date, OCR prices have risen 7.4 per cent while CCR and RCR prices are practically flat. The vulnerability of CCR and RCR is more apparent since over the last seven quarters, CCR had three quarters of price dips while RCR had two."

Said Nicholas Mak, executive director, research and consultancy department at SLP International: "For the whole of 2013, the private residential property price index is projected to increase by 1-3 per cent year-on-year. The price index for CCR and RCR could register a 0 to -2 per cent year-on-year change. For non-landed properties located in the OCR, the price index is likely to increase 7-9 per cent year-on-year," he said.

Indeed, the sustained interest in mass market homes is partially supported by the introduction of another group of buyers, mainly the newly minted Singapore permanent residents who have to wait out three years before they can buy resale HDB flats, said Eugene Lim, key executive officer at ERA Singapore.

This has resulted in those with sufficient funds purchasing suburban homes instead of waiting to buy a resale HDB flat, he said.

That being said, the projected weaker resale prices of HDB flats ahead could affect the affordability of the upgrader's segment of the private residential market, pointed out Ms Chia.

"All things considered and barring any unforeseen shocks, overall private residential home prices are expected to flat line in Q4 and register a mild increase for the whole of 2013," she said.

Old 11-10-2013, 12:32 AM
Unregistered

property price is dipping, developer Early Bird DISC is just a gimmick, whoever buy later gets lower price. go to aunches that has been set up for a few months perhaps still trying to dump the last remaining units, they Will give even more DISC than Early Birds.

frankly now there are quite a few projects that has very low take up rate.

get ready for a roller coaster ride. ...

Old 11-10-2013, 09:00 AM
Unregistered

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unregistered View Post
what nonsense. most just follow what their clients want. as long as clients are happy, pay them, they are happy as they will get their bonuses. many don't last long as the job is demanding and there is no life. for the good ones, they make their money and leave. these high flyers would retire as soon as they could. yes, many actually make money from buying properties. i know one guy who made enough and now he is retired, sepnding most of his time in his D10 gym and pool. he would dabble in stocks for fun. he has enough to feed his children and any future grandchildren.
You are talking nonsense. If clients are happy, it means clients made money. Otherwise why would clients pay them. All high paying jobs, there is no life. So what? It's not about making a quick buck and leaving to become rich but sustaining high pay for a long time. Everyone makes money in Singapore from property whether HDB or D10. Many are retired from selling HDB. What you say is nothing new.

Old 11-10-2013, 09:05 AM
Unregistered

Quote:
If you read their analysis report and recommendation, most likely you lose money.. Do you buy shares? (not those reits for dividend), Their job is to invest in stocks for the banks and make money from that. Do you think they will recommend you good ctr? or recommend you something to increase their profit? They earn a lot not because they are good at what they are doing (most of them), but because they are licensed to do a lot of things which others cant do.. They can publish a report with official bank title on it and ppl will rush to buy it. and of cos there are many angles to judge whether a stock is good or no good.. and they are expose to a lot of corporate internal news. Can you publish something yourself?
I read their analysis and recommendation, but I make my own decision. You are too cynical. There are plenty of reports which are good. But if you are an investor, you have to distinguish the good ones from the bad ones. It's quite easy actually if you have been doing it for awhile.

People like you are keyboard warriors, posting all sorts of nonsense, but not knowing anything really. Not all the professionals are honest, but there is good stuff out there. Far more than you can possibly come up with.
Old 11-10-2013, 10:08 AM
Unregistered

Quote:
I read their analysis and recommendation, but I make my own decision. You are too cynical. There are plenty of reports which are good. But if you are an investor, you have to distinguish the good ones from the bad ones. It's quite easy actually if you have been doing it for awhile.

People like you are keyboard warriors, posting all sorts of nonsense, but not knowing anything really. Not all the professionals are honest, but there is good stuff out there. Far more than you can possibly come up with.
If you look at today's world, esp the economy, US debt, EU debt... all these are created by IB.. I don't know what is your expertise in, but certainly not finance. You don't seem to understand what is going on..

Primary School English Grammar and Vocabulary Drills

SG Bus Timing App
SG Bus Timing App - the best bus app - available on iOS and Android

Bursa Stocks Android App - check share prices
Bursa Stocks [Android] App - check latest share prices on the go

SGX Stocks Android App - check share prices
SGX Stocks [Android] App - check latest share prices on the go

SGX Stocks for iPad - check latest Singapore share prices
SGX Stocks [iPad] app
| SGX Stocks [iPhone] app
Old 11-10-2013, 10:47 AM
Unregistered

Ever since the crisis which was created by bankers who developed all the toxic financial assets and derivatives, I have liquidated all my financial assets and bought properties with the money. All my properties, which are in OCR, are making good money. Since they are fully paid, I don't worry about any future price correction or interest rate hikes. At least I know their value will not go to zero in the long run. I can also touch and see my properties, they are there physically and I enjoy driving with my family to show my kids the various properties I own. Hope to pass these down to my kids. I continue to save my bonuses every year and when I have accumulated enough over the next few years, I will add more properties. I will not take any loan. Since my wife and I save in total $200k pa, I will buy a condo in cash every 5 years. Buying over time is like doing dollar cost averaging. So if prices drop in 5 years time, I will be able to buy a bigger unit with the same amount of cash.

Old 11-10-2013, 11:31 AM
Unregistered

Quote:
Actually, I'm already retired. My investment portfolio is about US$1m and I get a passive income of US$50k per year (S$62k). This is more than enough for me as I lead a simple life.
You can lead more than a simple life with $62k a year.

SG Bus Timing App

SGX Stocks [iPad] app
Old 11-10-2013, 12:08 PM
Unregistered

Quote:
If you look at today's world, esp the economy, US debt, EU debt... all these are created by IB.. I don't know what is your expertise in, but certainly not finance. You don't seem to understand what is going on..
You have something against bankers. Perhaps you failed as a banker or are one of those investors who lost money because you listened to a banker without properly understanding the product. If you did, its your fault.

There are a lot of people who think they know whats going on because they have some qualification in finance, but actually they are quite useless and have shallow conclusions. The most knowledgeable and successful people are experienced investors who have been investing for long periods of time and who have been through several cycles and don't come from finance backgrounds.
Old 11-10-2013, 12:12 PM
Unregistered

Quote:
Ever since the crisis which was created by bankers who developed all the toxic financial assets and derivatives, I have liquidated all my financial assets and bought properties with the money. All my properties, which are in OCR, are making good money. Since they are fully paid, I don't worry about any future price correction or interest rate hikes. At least I know their value will not go to zero in the long run. I can also touch and see my properties, they are there physically and I enjoy driving with my family to show my kids the various properties I own. Hope to pass these down to my kids. I continue to save my bonuses every year and when I have accumulated enough over the next few years, I will add more properties. I will not take any loan. Since my wife and I save in total $200k pa, I will buy a condo in cash every 5 years. Buying over time is like doing dollar cost averaging. So if prices drop in 5 years time, I will be able to buy a bigger unit with the same amount of cash.
I suppose this is probably best for you since you are a lousy investor in financial products. However, I wouldn't be surprised if your more diversified and leveraged friends surpass you significantly in wealth over time.
Old 11-10-2013, 02:06 PM
Unregistered

Quote:
You have something against bankers. Perhaps you failed as a banker or are one of those investors who lost money because you listened to a banker without properly understanding the product. If you did, its your fault.

There are a lot of people who think they know whats going on because they have some qualification in finance, but actually they are quite useless and have shallow conclusions. The most knowledgeable and successful people are experienced investors who have been investing for long periods of time and who have been through several cycles and don't come from finance backgrounds.
Then what is the reason for the global economy collapse?

SG Bus Timing App

SGX Stocks [iPad] app