Salary.sg Forums

Salary.sg Forums (https://forums.salary.sg/)
-   Investments and Net Worth (https://forums.salary.sg/investments-net-worth/)
-   -   Whats your net worth (https://forums.salary.sg/investments-net-worth/817-whats-your-net-worth.html)

Unregistered 14-03-2012 05:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 22284)
Ok I will be the first.

Married with 2 children still in school. not graduate (poly + O lvls). 45-50yo.

5rm flat in good location: 600k - 650k fully paid. If we sell it, we got no place to stay.
CPF: 110k combined.
cash and shares: maybe 20-30k.

It is a struggle daily to see living expenses in Singapore going up every year. We worry about whether we can afford to send our children to university, so maybe they will have to go to poly first and work a few years. Basically we are living hand to mouth until the children start working. Even then, we worry about them getting married and will need our help to pay for their house. Quite shameful that my wife and I will not be able to help much unless we sell our HDB and move in with them or downgrade to a studio. We also think of moving to live in JB when we retire or get retrenched.

Frankly I am quite jealous of the riches of many people here. But I guess I only have myself to blame for not working smart/hard enough.

Things are not so groomy. First of all, if you want to get more cash, you can sell your current flat and buy another one. You will be able to unlock your profits and get back several hundred Ks and then use your monthly CPF contribution to pay off new flat loan over the next 15-20 years. Secondly, if your children do well enough to qualify for local U, you can pay the fees using CPF or take study loan. Thirdly, your children should be independent once they started working. You shouldn't worry about paying for their house.

My Dad was a gambler who borrowed money from friends, relatives, acquintances and anyone he knows just to feed his habit and pay off debts. Money was never enough but I still consider him a good father because of the affection and love he showed us despite the sufferings he brought upon us.. But now, he can shake leg and enjoy life because we (the children) are doing relatively well to support him and he no longer have to worry about money. Think of the bright side and invest in your children

Unregistered 14-03-2012 05:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 22289)
Things are not so groomy. First of all, if you want to get more cash, you can sell your current flat and buy another one. You will be able to unlock your profits and get back several hundred Ks and then use your monthly CPF contribution to pay off new flat loan over the next 15-20 years. Secondly, if your children do well enough to qualify for local U, you can pay the fees using CPF or take study loan. Thirdly, your children should be independent once they started working. You shouldn't worry about paying for their house.

My Dad was a gambler who borrowed money from friends, relatives, acquintances and anyone he knows just to feed his habit and pay off debts. Money was never enough but I still consider him a good father because of the affection and love he showed us despite the sufferings he brought upon us.. But now, he can shake leg and enjoy life because we (the children) are doing relatively well to support him and he no longer have to worry about money. Think of the bright side and invest in your children

thank you for your advice. Yes we did think about cashing out on the HDB (we were lucky to have a good location HDB) and buying another BTO. But I dare not take on loan 15-20years because I am not sure I will always have a job. As long as still employed, we are ok so no need to sell house now, unless when children go to University. they are not scholars and in case cannot get into local U, it will be very expensive to send them overseas. So we also considered downgrade to studio or JB to cash out more.

Thank you very much for sharing your background. Your father is indeed lucky to have children like you. Because we are not really poor, my children didn't experience hardship (got enough food to eat and shelter, and no harassment from loan shark because I cannot afford to gamble. Not even buy 4D/TOTO). Don't know if you call them spolt but we try to provide for them as much as possible. I think there is a certain expectation from the parents. Children nowadays are different. I think they have peer pressure more than our generation, e.g. their friends have iphone/ipad, if we cannot buy for them they will be faced with some embarrassment when their circle of friends discuss apps and social networking games etc. I don't expect them to be very successful and allow me to shake legs with car and driver etc because I know live is getting more difficult for our youngsters.

Sorry for the rant from old uncle...ha ha. All the best.

a normal teenager 20-03-2012 09:43 PM

Consider poor compare to rich people

I am just a normal teenager 15yo.my parents net worth.consider poor.no joke.
Cpf (idk)
stock or bond i think they dun have
cash (idk)
income (idk) i think less than 200 000 per year
car toyota second hand 130000 (loan)
condo bought for 650000+++ now worth 1 million (loan) (going to sell)want to buy shop worth 2500000+++
semi d. Bought in 2009 1900000+++ worth over 3.2million now (loan)
corner ter. Bought this month 2800000+++ absd 6% therefore 3000000+++ (loan)
singapore shop bought 600000+++ now worth at least 1.3 million (loan)
china two shops worth 500 000 + (loan)

Unregistered 21-03-2012 04:38 PM

Property: $6.6m (3 properties, one houses parents, other is rented)
Stocks & Unit Trusts: $5.1m
CPF: $1.5m
Cash: $300K
Other Assets: A few cars
Loans: $3m (both property and margin financing)
Income: $450K (salary plus bonus - used to be higher when I worked harder) & $350K of passive income from rental, interest & dividends

We did gain $800K from sale of 1 property a few years ago, otherwise all of the value of the financial investments was through earning, saving and investing.

Unregistered 21-03-2012 04:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 22654)
Property: $6.6m (3 properties, one houses parents, other is rented)
Stocks & Unit Trusts: $5.1m
CPF: $1.5m
Cash: $300K
Other Assets: A few cars
Loans: $3m (both property and margin financing)
Income: $450K (salary plus bonus - used to be higher when I worked harder) & $350K of passive income from rental, interest & dividends

We did gain $800K from sale of 1 property a few years ago, otherwise all of the value of the financial investments was through earning, saving and investing.

Is it a good time to buy or sell big chips stocks now?

Unregistered 24-04-2012 11:05 PM

property net worth = $1m
cash = $100K
equities and bonds = $50K

how am i doing?

Unregistered 25-04-2012 12:10 AM

Agency Dentist 72
Cash 1.65 mil - 480000 from deceased wife's insurance claims.
Property 2.5mil
Children nil!

Unregistered 25-04-2012 11:03 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 24197)
Agency Dentist 72
Cash 1.65 mil - 480000 from deceased wife's insurance claims.
Property 2.5mil
Children nil!

72 years old or born in year 72?

mid 30s couple 25-04-2012 11:52 PM

our assets:

cash: S$700K
stocks: S$120K
property: terrace house S$2.3M with 800K loan

i guess we are doing above average for a graduate couple with 2 kids? 40% of our net worth was built from savings, the rest from property and stocks investing

not sure if buying a landed house was a good choice though, as a cheaper condo would have freed up more cash to use for investments..

Unregistered 26-04-2012 12:30 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mid 30s couple (Post 24238)
our assets:

cash: S$700K
stocks: S$120K
property: terrace house S$2.3M with 800K loan

i guess we are doing above average for a graduate couple with 2 kids? 40% of our net worth was built from savings, the rest from property and stocks investing

not sure if buying a landed house was a good choice though, as a cheaper condo would have freed up more cash to use for investments..

Could you kindly share how you made more than $1.5m through property and stock investments?