Salary.sg Forums

Salary.sg Forums (https://forums.salary.sg/)
-   Investments and Net Worth (https://forums.salary.sg/investments-net-worth/)
-   -   Whats your net worth (https://forums.salary.sg/investments-net-worth/817-whats-your-net-worth.html)

Unregistered 17-06-2013 05:19 PM

44, male, unemployed. Still looking for relevant work. Don't want to work as taxi driver or security guard as I am a graduate. Forced to resign due to office politics.
Own HDB flat, fully paid, now worth $800k.
Wife working, earning $4k a month.
What should I do now?
Should I swallow my pride and drive a cab? This would be very painful for me.
Or sell my HDB flat and buy a cheaper, smaller $300k flat so that I have about $400k to spend on? I need $2k a month to cover my family expense deficit or $12k a year. $400k can cover that deficit easily for 16 years. In 10 years, my kids would be independent and our expenses can be cut back significantly.
Any financial guru here to advise?

lazyplane 17-06-2013 06:42 PM

Instead of taxi driver or security guard or other blue collar work, can i check if you have done this since you are a grad :
1. Sign up with a few schools and do part time teaching. the daily rate is not too bad.

2. Similar to above, but go to tuition centers or reach out by getting your own students

3. If you really need to switch and retrain, consider to become medical worker. It is an "iron rice bowl" industry though the pay is not high.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 38752)
44, male, unemployed. Still looking for relevant work. Don't want to work as taxi driver or security guard as I am a graduate. Forced to resign due to office politics.
What should I do now?
Or sell my HDB flat and buy a cheaper, smaller $300k flat so that I have about $400k to spend on? I need $2k a month to cover my family expense deficit or $12k a year. $400k can cover that deficit easily for 16 years. In 10 years, my kids would be independent and our expenses can be cut back significantly.

Unregistered 17-06-2013 07:20 PM

Plenty of things you can do to survive actually. You can do your own business, if possible low capital business, that would be offering your professional services that you are good at. It could be anything from design, accounting, drawing, consultancy or whatever. You can also do it from home as well. You can google of plenty idea about it. Business somehow is much better off than any kind of investment. Most of investment requires high capitals to generate a small percentage of money. Business that sell a product are basically selling at higher price than buying price to earn profit. However service business is actually turning the thin air (could be your time, skill, expertise, profession or whatever) into money! But of cos you need a lot of hard work to be successful.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 38752)
What should I do now?

Unregistered 17-06-2013 07:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 38763)
Plenty of things you can do to survive actually. You can do your own business, if possible low capital business, that would be offering your professional services that you are good at. It could be anything from design, accounting, drawing, consultancy or whatever. You can also do it from home as well. You can google of plenty idea about it. Business somehow is much better off than any kind of investment. Most of investment requires high capitals to generate a small percentage of money. Business that sell a product are basically selling at higher price than buying price to earn profit. However service business is actually turning the thin air (could be your time, skill, expertise, profession or whatever) into money! But of cos you need a lot of hard work to be successful.

So what business do you do?

Unregistered 17-06-2013 11:42 PM

I just turned 50 in May, now retired. Need to take care of health.
Passive income $50k pa.
No liabilities, live a simple life in a condominium.
Net worth including 3 old condos, only $3m.
Annual family expenses $40k pa.
Eat simple food in hawker centers. Sometimes cook simple meals.
Drive a small, old Jap car.

Unregistered 18-06-2013 02:08 PM

Professional couple in our 40's.
Combined net worth including primary residence, $2.5m.
We need $5m to retire comfortably.
We are an average Singaporean couple.

Unregistered 18-06-2013 07:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 38786)

You are certainly not average.

Unregistered 18-06-2013 11:11 PM

You reminded me of my situation when I was in my 40s, ten years ago. So I am inclined to agree with you that on the average, a dual income family where both husband and wife are working professionals, will be able to accrue a net worth of around $2.5M by their mid 40s. I am just a little surprise that this amount hasn't gone up much from a decade ago.

Then my wife and I set ourselves a target to save $1m each (excluding our home) by 55 at which point we will retire. We achieved that last year at 53. We raised the bar to $1.5m each. At our current savings rate we are confident to reach the target next year at age 55. Including our home, our net worth will then be $4.5m

In your case, you can achieve $5m, if you can accrue over $200k savings per year till you reach 55. It is very possible especially if you have other sources of income eg dividends from stocks, rental etc..

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 38786)

Unregistered 19-06-2013 11:36 AM

36 years old this year, net worth excluding primary residence is only $1.8m++, hoping to chalk up to at least $5m in the next 10 years before retirement.

Unregistered 19-06-2013 06:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 38819)
36 years old this year, net worth excluding primary residence is only $1.8m++, hoping to chalk up to at least $5m in the next 10 years before retirement.

That is above average for your age, did you get most of your money from property flipping or work salary?