Salary.sg Forums

Salary.sg Forums (https://forums.salary.sg/)
-   Investments and Net Worth (https://forums.salary.sg/investments-net-worth/)
-   -   How rich/poor am I compared to people my age(27)? (https://forums.salary.sg/investments-net-worth/7290-how-rich-poor-am-i-compared-people-my-age-27-a.html)

Unregistered 20-04-2018 04:33 PM

I suggest you keep on buying toto, sweep and 4D. The return generate much faster and luck is on your side.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 106680)
24(m) here
nitec holder here

bought a car recently so left around 600k+ worth in cash mainly due to toto a few month ago

doing a system admin it job 2.1k

any advice for me, I am quite stupid so maybe would be good to invest in some low risk stuffs that generate more $ than fd , should i get a private dip then move on to degree?

Unregistered 21-05-2018 12:00 AM

27 yrs old this year.

close to 300k in cash.

Unregistered 05-07-2018 02:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by icyboy (Post 85670)
I am just wondering how much savings I have compared to my peers?
How much do you have when you are 27yo?

I just reached 27yo, im male I have about 40k in my bank account and 35k in CPF. I know this is not a big amount by any means but still a small fortune. I spent alot on miscellaneous things though, could have been much more.

at your age. i probably had only less than 10k. had to clear all the uni loans etc.

even now at 37, i have less than half a mill excluding CPF.

you still got a long way to go. you will do well if you continue.

Unregistered 27-10-2020 11:21 PM

I reached 120k in savings when I was about 24, after doing some work on the side and saving aggressively while in Uni.

Turning 27 this year.

100k in savings and investments after purchasing a flat with the husband for 600k+, spent about 80k in renovations and furnishing.

If combined as a couple we have about 450k in assets. 200k in liquid assets (cash and investments) and 250k fixed (paid up portion of housing loan)
Not too sure how we’re doing, but hoping to build up passive streams of income to reduce reliance on work eventually.

Unregistered 28-10-2020 12:04 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 148221)
I reached 120k in savings when I was about 24, after doing some work on the side and saving aggressively while in Uni.

Turning 27 this year.

100k in savings and investments after purchasing a flat with the husband for 600k+, spent about 80k in renovations and furnishing.

If combined as a couple we have about 450k in assets. 200k in liquid assets (cash and investments) and 250k fixed (paid up portion of housing loan)
Not too sure how we’re doing, but hoping to build up passive streams of income to reduce reliance on work eventually.

Way to go, reviving such an old thread. You can try benchmarking yourself with tools like:

s://.salary.sg/2019/benchmark-your-monthly-pay-by-age-gender-2019/

s://stats.mom.gov.sg/bt/charts/OWS.aspx?a=true&c=Wages&sc=Occupational+Wage+Searc h

Unregistered 22-12-2020 12:30 AM

Just turned 27 two months ago, M.

Cash $95k
Money also goes into PruWealth $400/month - there’s about $10k stuck there now (bad decision!)
Only $5k invested in stocks currently
$37K in CPF OA

Thinking of how to grow my money faster and not sure where/ what to invest.

Anyone with some sound advice?

Unregistered 22-12-2020 01:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 151782)

Cash $95k
Money also goes into PruWealth $400/month - there’s about $10k stuck there now (bad decision!)
$37K in CPF OA

Take your cash out of pruwealth. take the hit now, take it as a 3k lesson. Better than reinforcing the mistake, putting in 30k over the next 10 years, and only getting back 40k.

Unregistered 29-12-2020 03:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 151782)

Cash $95k
$37K in CPF OA

Don't think you should include CPF OA into your networth calculation. You will never know when the government will change laws to lock it in permanently. Judging by the looks of it pretty soon.

Before talking about investment make sure you have at least the very least, 1 year of your GROSS income saved as emergency fund. Then save for marriage and HDB. Don't bother about investments until you get all these sorted

Invest in stable assets like etf of bonds. Then DCA in. Don't do stocks from the get go. Only set aside no more than 30% of your portfolio on stocks.

Unregistered 29-12-2020 03:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 152183)
Don't think you should include CPF OA into your networth calculation. You will never know when the government will change laws to lock it in permanently. Judging by the looks of it pretty soon.

Before talking about investment make sure you have at least the very least, 1 year of your GROSS income saved as emergency fund. Then save for marriage and HDB. Don't bother about investments until you get all these sorted

Invest in stable assets like etf of bonds. Then DCA in. Don't do stocks from the get go. Only set aside no more than 30% of your portfolio on stocks.

Horrible advice. You just need to set aside 6 months of expenses as emergency fund. If you do not have marriage/hdb on the horizon, feel free to invest your money elsewhere.

At such a young age, you can afford >50% equities in your portfolio. Bond yields are pretty low and unattractive atm.

Unregistered 30-12-2020 11:56 AM

32m
100k investments
15k cash
15k cpf

cpf kenna screwed by housing...leaving a poor life paying monthly house instalments.

Unregistered 01-01-2021 01:53 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 152183)

just tell him to read a book, instead of your copy and paste answer

Unregistered 01-01-2021 08:22 PM

Most people before 40 are already retrenched before in private sector

Most people in private are being retrenched more than once in private sector.

Before talking about retirement please think of being retrenched

Only civil servants are safe, no retrenchments even at Covid.

Unregistered 02-01-2021 01:34 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 152186)
Horrible advice. You just need to set aside 6 months of expenses as emergency fund. If you do not have marriage/hdb on the horizon, feel free to invest your money elsewhere.

At such a young age, you can afford >50% equities in your portfolio. Bond yields are pretty low and unattractive atm.

6 months of expenses in emergency fund may not be enough. One could take longer than 6 months to get a job esp in times like these. And you don't want to rush into getting a job which you might regret.

Its stupid to invest 50% of your income into equities at such a young age. Too much risk. You could end up with nore losses than gains. All your hard earned money gone. Especially if you get greedy and buy spec stocks. Go with the safe route. Save money first then go into AAA rated bonds and if you have extra allocate not more than 30% of your portfolio into stocks. Don't be like those people who lose hundreds of thousands in stock market only to have to realise losses because you were retrenched and took longer than 6 months to find another job.

Unregistered 02-01-2021 01:37 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 152363)
just tell him to read a book, instead of your copy and paste answer

Alot of people are making fatal mistakes by diving head first into risky investment like stocks without fully understanding the risk involved, buoyed by the talks of "so and so earned $xxx from the stock market" only to be burnt badly when they attempt to do it. Don't be silly. Its hard earned money and what works for them might not work for you.

Unregistered 02-01-2021 03:37 AM

Any good bonds to recommend? Rates for SSB seems incredibly low though.
(I’m the same original poster of post #48)

Unregistered 03-01-2021 11:56 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 152416)
6 months of expenses in emergency fund may not be enough. One could take longer than 6 months to get a job esp in times like these. And you don't want to rush into getting a job which you might regret.

Its stupid to invest 50% of your income into equities at such a young age. Too much risk. You could end up with nore losses than gains. All your hard earned money gone. Especially if you get greedy and buy spec stocks. Go with the safe route. Save money first then go into AAA rated bonds and if you have extra allocate not more than 30% of your portfolio into stocks. Don't be like those people who lose hundreds of thousands in stock market only to have to realise losses because you were retrenched and took longer than 6 months to find another job.

Ignore this guy pls.

1. You’re so young, it’s much easier for you to find a job even if you get retrenched (chances of you getting retrenched are, again, low since you’re young)

2. You have a higher risk appetite and a longer investment time horizon. Investing max of 30% in equities is stupid. No one is asking you to buy penny/spec stocks. Even if you invest in S&P, the historic 10, 20,30 year returns are high enough (you can ride out market corrections/shocks even if you’re lazy to do active management)

Unregistered 11-01-2021 08:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 152416)

just like the other guy said, what you said pretty stupid.
you are young, just go full YOLO in stock.

there are many safe bets in equity, considering SATS (at current price) and also defensive play like e.g Sheng siong.

if not simply buy into a index like S&P and you will make your money worth 20-30 years later, unless america will be down 20 years later.

nobody know where a stock will go, but think of stocks as a company like they are

the worse thing you can keep is cash, what do you want so much cash for? the value of it depricate every year, if u want to be extremely safe, top up CPF is a viable option too, you get compound interest.

Worst thing is to keep cash.

Unregistered 03-03-2021 10:16 PM

32 yo Male, Single, Doctor

Just bought a $~3 million condo in Orchard last year - planning to rent it out for passive income and to help service the mortgage.

Still living with parents, so expenditure is v v low. The biggest "expenditure" is my parents' allowance.

I also have CPF $250k, basically untouched.

In my profession I believe I'm just mediocre. Many others are doing way better than me.

Unregistered 06-03-2021 01:30 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 157644)
32 yo Male, Single, Doctor

Just bought a $~3 million condo in Orchard last year - planning to rent it out for passive income and to help service the mortgage.

Still living with parents, so expenditure is v v low. The biggest "expenditure" is my parents' allowance.

I also have CPF $250k, basically untouched.

In my profession I believe I'm just mediocre. Many others are doing way better than me.

Isn't this thread for 27 year olds? What is a 32 year old doing here?

Unregistered 03-04-2021 09:02 PM

Around 243k in stocks (fluctuate +-30k for now) and 15k cash. 40k in CPF.

Unregistered 22-05-2021 08:26 PM

Turning 27 end of the year
Cash 270k
Stocks 45k
Other investments 25k

Did put 2 years of 8k into Manulife Ready Life income plan. Got talked into it by my DBS RM.

Feel that can do much better. Too under invested.

Unregistered 23-05-2021 08:20 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 170021)
Turning 27 end of the year
Cash 270k
Stocks 45k
Other investments 25k

Did put 2 years of 8k into Manulife Ready Life income plan. Got talked into it by my DBS RM.

Feel that can do much better. Too under invested.

Thats alot of cash for age 27. What did you do to gain so much cash?

Unregistered 23-05-2021 04:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 170089)
Thats alot of cash for age 27. What did you do to gain so much cash?

He sell backside or parents money lo.

Assuming he worked for 3 years & say 200k out of the 270k cash savings was accumulated after he started working, that means he has to save 66.6k every year.

66.6k per year = 5.56k per month

His salary after tax and expenses got even 5.56k/month bo? Don’t tell me he fking balls deep invest in Bitcoin

Unregistered 07-06-2021 12:57 AM

Singaporean 34 Male

Folks seeking recommendation/advice.

34/M/married 1 kids
Property : small condo with o/s mortgage
Car : small jap car

Cash 160k
Fixed Income 370k
Equity 120k (took profit recently and reduced allocation)
Cpf 330k

Any comments will be appreciated thanks

Unregistered 14-07-2021 12:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 172851)

34/M/married 1 kids

Cash 160k
Fixed Income 370k
Cpf 330k

Too much Fixed Income and too little Equity allocation. In fact it should be the reverse. Cash is fine given you have a kid.

Unregistered 14-07-2021 06:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 172851)

34/M/married 1 kids

Cash 160k
Fixed Income 370k
Cpf 330k

Should reduce cash holdings to less than 10k.

You are still young and can afford to take more risk.

Unregistered 23-07-2021 01:14 PM

30/M/married and don’t want kids
Property : 4 rm HDB with HDB loan (left 80k to pay)

Cash (self) : 30 K
Cash (joint with wife) : 32 K
Investment (mainly shares) : 110 K

Working since 2017 and salary started at 4.2 K, currently drawing 5.6 K but thinking to go set up my own business instead.

Anyone here have experience of letting go of iron rice bowl and then go do business at 30 ?

Unregistered 23-07-2021 03:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 178296)
30/M/married and don’t want kids
Property : 4 rm HDB with HDB loan (left 80k to pay)

Cash (self) : 30 K
Cash (joint with wife) : 32 K
Investment (mainly shares) : 110 K

Working since 2017 and salary started at 4.2 K, currently drawing 5.6 K but thinking to go set up my own business instead.

Anyone here have experience of letting go of iron rice bowl and then go do business at 30 ?

What business will you be keen to do?

Unregistered 23-07-2021 05:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 178311)
What business will you be keen to do?

Tbh, my wife and myself are planning to rent a stall in coffee shop (not hawker) and slowly work from there. Many people are discouraging us cause i earn 5.6 K while she earn about 4 K.

Our lifestyle quite simple and rarely dine out. So long can earn 3 K combined actually enough to survive.

Unregistered 24-07-2021 11:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 170143)

Assuming he worked for 3 years & say 200k out of the 270k cash savings was accumulated after he started working, that means he has to save 66.6k every year.

His salary after tax and expenses got even 5.56k/month bo? Don’t tell me he fking balls deep invest in Bitcoin

This is salary.sg, land of high fliers.

Unregistered 25-07-2021 12:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 170143)

A simpler explanation, without any fancy numbers, would be to claim nominated CPF monies at 18 years old, and claim trust funds / estate funds at 21 years old.

Unregistered 26-07-2021 12:46 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 178425)
A simpler explanation, without any fancy numbers, would be to claim nominated CPF monies at 18 years old, and claim trust funds / estate funds at 21 years old.

Means parents or grandparents money la

Unregistered 01-08-2021 04:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 153166)
just like the other guy said, what you said pretty stupid.
you are young, just go full YOLO in stock.

there are many safe bets in equity, considering SATS (at current price) and also defensive play like e.g Sheng siong.

if not simply buy into a index like S&P and you will make your money worth 20-30 years later, unless america will be down 20 years later.

nobody know where a stock will go, but think of stocks as a company like they are

the worse thing you can keep is cash, what do you want so much cash for? the value of it depricate every year, if u want to be extremely safe, top up CPF is a viable option too, you get compound interest.

Worst thing is to keep cash.

Worse advice ever. If one is young, greedy, inexperienced and did not do due diligence then go all in on stocks then all the money earned goes to the drain. Lots of people got burned in meme stocks and options. One even lost his life.

And cash is cool when you get retrenched. Don't be fool into thinking just because one is young one cannot be retrenched. And its also a fallacy to think you will get a job quickly if you are retrenchedeven if you are young, in todays job market.

Unregistered 13-08-2021 09:53 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 178916)
Worse advice ever. If one is young, greedy, inexperienced and did not do due diligence then go all in on stocks then all the money earned goes to the drain. Lots of people got burned in meme stocks and options. One even lost his life.

And cash is cool when you get retrenched. Don't be fool into thinking just because one is young one cannot be retrenched. And its also a fallacy to think you will get a job quickly if you are retrenchedeven if you are young, in todays job market.

boomer train of thoughts basically. buying into a world etf or even just the s&p 500 etf is not as volatile as you think it is. analyse the drawdown % and balance it with bond to the drawdown% that allow you to sleep well at night.

Unregistered 04-09-2021 04:24 PM

28yo Female, started working 6.5 yr ago

Savings: $50k

Investments: $39k

CPF OA MA SA: $109k

Lost a lot $ due to bailing my divorced mom out of loans. 🥲

Unregistered 05-09-2021 09:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 182090)
28yo Female, started working 6.5 yr ago

Savings: $50k

Investments: $39k

CPF OA MA SA: $109k

Lost a lot $ due to bailing my divorced mom out of loans. 🥲

How did you start working at 21.5 years old might I ask?

Unregistered 12-09-2021 08:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 182172)
How did you start working at 21.5 years old might I ask?

Why not? She did say she is female so skipped 2 years of NS. And she never said she studied for a degree. So entirely possible.

Unregistered 13-09-2021 12:39 PM

28 year old.

net worth 20 mil. fk ya'll

Unregistered 13-09-2021 12:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 182897)
28 year old.

net worth 20 mil. fk ya'll

Back to sucking on mom's tits

Unregistered 15-09-2021 01:46 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 178320)
Tbh, my wife and myself are planning to rent a stall in coffee shop (not hawker) and slowly work from there. Many people are discouraging us cause i earn 5.6 K while she earn about 4 K.

Our lifestyle quite simple and rarely dine out. So long can earn 3 K combined actually enough to survive.

rent will kill you dreams faster you can spell a b c