Salary.sg Forums

Salary.sg Forums (https://forums.salary.sg/)
-   Investments and Net Worth (https://forums.salary.sg/investments-net-worth/)
-   -   What to invest? (https://forums.salary.sg/investments-net-worth/3559-what-invest.html)

Stressfullsociety 08-02-2014 05:35 PM

What to invest?

i'm new to investing. May i know as a new investor, what kind of investment can i go for? i will prefer low risk investment and i have around 10-20k of start up capital to invest.
Can anyone advise me? thank you.

Unregistered 10-02-2014 04:28 AM

I suggest u put that lump sum into CIMB starSaver account. it gives like 0.8% P.A. Safest. Lowest Risk.

If bank crashed, government will pay u back the money as insured by SDIC (SGD $50,000).
Put in $20,000 = $13 per month.

Unregistered 10-02-2014 08:39 AM

Epic fail advise. This is not investing. This is just like keeping money under the pillow.

Inflation is now at 2.5%, but was 4 - 5% just a year ago. So your money is losing value each day it stays in the fixed deposit.

But having said that, it is sometimes ok to do nothing (ie keep the cash ready) and wait for the right moment to pounce -on shares or property.

My approach was to accumulate blue chip stocks all my working life (30 odd years). In my early years, all I could afford was just 1 or 2 lots each time after receiving my bonus. Now my passive income from the dividends is $5k per month average. My approach is to buy and keep.

And yes, you will see your share value go up in good times and down in bad times. So you must only invest with money that you dont need for something else.

Good news, the SGX is trying to implement smaller lot trading to allow younger people (with lower income?) to buy into and accumulate good stocks. So look out and read up on the various listed companies and decide for yourself which ones to buy.

The feeling of getting money every month that you dont have to work for is undescribable. The dividends have paid for our yearly holidays overseas. Any remaining amounts are re-invested.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 48096)
I suggest u put that lump sum into CIMB starSaver account. it gives like 0.8% P.A. Safest. Lowest Risk.

If bank crashed, government will pay u back the money as insured by SDIC (SGD $50,000).
Put in $20,000 = $13 per month.

Unregistered 12-02-2014 07:42 AM

We all want to sit back, relax and have money coming in without having to work for it. But unless we have a large inheritance, or strike toto group 1 price, we have no choice but to go out and work for the money.

The answer to your question "what to invest?" is thus obvious. It is yourself - you are your biggest asset. Invest in yourself through continuous upgrading, courses and training. And work as long as you can. Our gahmen has been telling us to work till 65. Actually people in the US and UK are already working beyond that.

Even if you are earning a salary of $100k pa or say $50k pa, it is still way higher than what most people can get from their passive income.

From my own experience, rental income returns now is about 3% net of expenses and taxes. That means you need to invest in a $1m property just to have $30k pa passive income. Shares fare slightly better. If you plonk $1m into reits you could achieve $60k - $70k dividends. But there are risks.

The Maths therefore tells you that to have a comfortable passive income of $100k pa, you will need a principal sum of at least $2m to invest.

And you still need a place to stay, say an HDB flat costing about $600k. So minimum asset you need is $2.6m!

And you know what? Getting there is through working and saving up. When you acquire better skills, knowledge you increase your value to your company, and increase your promotional prospects.

Having worked 30 years already, and established a passive income stream of $80k - $90k pa, I know there is no way my passive income is ever going to replace my salary. So to me, work is still the way to go. Even now, although I am now training my younger colleagues, I still look out for courses to attend to upgrade myself. Learning never stops.

And yes, having that passive income coming in every month is satisfying. It does give an added peace of mind. You are more willing to indulge, to treat yourself and family to good meals and holidays.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Stressfullsociety (Post 48044)
i'm new to investing. May i know as a new investor, what kind of investment can i go for? i will prefer low risk investment and i have around 10-20k of start up capital to invest.

Unregistered 12-02-2014 09:27 AM

> rental income returns now is about 3% net of expenses and taxes. That means you need to invest in a $1m property

since most property purchases are funded by mortgages, the return is actually higher than 3% if you take leverage into account. on the other hand, retail investors don't usually borrow money to buy stocks (including reits).

Unregistered 11-08-2014 12:08 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by CST618 (Post 54452)
How 5%-8% investment return monthly ??

If it is too good to be true, it probably is.

Unregistered 11-08-2014 01:43 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by CST618 (Post 54452)
How 5%-8% investment return monthly ??

Whoever can get 5-8% consistently PER MONTH ought to be the Chief Investment Officer for both GIC and Temasek Holdings.

Unregistered 11-08-2014 02:09 PM

insurance investment policy

Unregistered 12-08-2014 07:34 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by CST618 (Post 54491)
im getting my return every month on time. Capital is return upon reaching 18 mth

There's a sucker born every minute.

waterboy123 19-08-2014 07:55 PM

Sadly as per the advise above you need a huge amounts of money, tyou can start of with just 100 a month below. This would give you a kickstart

You may want to look at fundsupermart for unit trust.
You can look at bond funds and global equity

You may also consider getting a saver plans from manulife, ntuc income,....
Basically, you put in few hundred dollars a month and get back a small return
eg principal + 3% something like that

Unregistered 21-08-2014 06:19 PM

POSB Invest-Saver Account

Hi all,

Just like to get some opinion. What do you all think of the POSB Invest-Saver Account?

Appreciate any response.

Thank you

waterboy123 21-08-2014 07:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 55182)
Hi all,

Just like to get some opinion. What do you all think of the POSB Invest-Saver Account?

Appreciate any response.

Thank you

The charges will kill your investment

Advisor 24-08-2014 10:48 PM

You may want to consider investing in foreign property in a relatively safe environment..

thanks

Unregistered 17-02-2015 03:25 PM

Is it a good time to buy blue chips?

We have about 800k cash & 500k stocks/misc investments. House/Car paid up. 3 school going children. We are in our early 50s.

tq.

Unregistered 17-02-2015 04:11 PM

i have contacts in the managed futures funds business

Propower 25-02-2015 10:42 PM

Property Investment as force-saving, emphasises the savings aspect of real estate investment. And how it can be executed systematically, property investment can become one of the low risk ways of growing your assets over the long-term.
One of the key points in making a sound property investment is knowing what you can afford after taking into consideration the capital gain and rental yield potential.
Always commit on apurchase only after you have worked out th risk factors and potential capital gain.
It does not matter whether the property has a 99-year lease or is freehold. The most important factor is the location and the development plan around the location.
Good properties at good locations will always have strong potential upside even during a downturn. Their prices may drop but when the market rebounds, they will be the first to have a higher upward swing in price compared to others.
Some of the good property investment that can give you such returns in Singapore are in Shenton Way and within the Marina Bay Financial District.

newsgprop 18-05-2015 06:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 62912)
Is it a good time to buy blue chips?

We have about 800k cash & 500k stocks/misc investments. House/Car paid up. 3 school going children. We are in our early 50s.

tq.

be careful. something worse is going to happen pretty soon

Unregistered 18-05-2015 09:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by newsgprop (Post 66902)
be careful. something worse is going to happen pretty soon

Yes, don't ever invest in properties here whether resale or new launch, worse is new launch properties. We have massive oversupply coming.

Unregistered 23-05-2015 05:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 66913)
Yes, don't ever invest in properties here whether resale or new launch, worse is new launch properties. We have massive oversupply coming.

Property as an investment is the worst and highest risk form of investment as one's risk is concentrated in one single location. There is totally no diversification. Just buy a property for own occupation will do.

Unregistered 23-05-2015 07:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Stressfullsociety (Post 48044)

If you are young and can buy and hold for a long time, invest in globally diversified ETFs e.g. Ivv (U.S. S and p index ), vea (global markets ex US)
Buy these through your online broker from the NYSE (not the versions listed in Singapore which have high expenses and low liquidity)
If you are a patient buy and hold investor, this is the best way to get long run returns. Historically, U.S. SnP has returned 10 percent per year.

Unregistered 24-05-2015 12:30 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 67096)
If you are young and can buy and hold for a long time, invest in globally diversified ETFs e.g. Ivv (U.S. S and p index ), vea (global markets ex US)
Buy these through your online broker from the NYSE (not the versions listed in Singapore which have high expenses and low liquidity)
If you are a patient buy and hold investor, this is the best way to get long run returns. Historically, U.S. SnP has returned 10 percent per year.

Just to clarify, can I buy thru SCB online trading platform or RHB online portal?

Thank you.

Unregistered 24-05-2015 09:45 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 67107)
Just to clarify, can I buy thru SCB online trading platform or RHB online portal?

Thank you.

Yes you can buy through scb online. I have not tried rhb

Unregistered 24-05-2015 10:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 67096)

Sorry, how do you mean by ...not the versions listed in Sg.....low liquidity? Is there another version?

Real Person 19-10-2015 12:30 PM

Invest In STI, Vanguard Etfs S&P500

Came across this topic and like to share my opinions. The first thing to note is low risk results in decent returns. If you're comfortable with slow but conservative progression, investing in etfs should suffice.

STI etf may be the first viable option as you're clear of the companies listed in the index.

Vanguard can be in your choice as it's diversified and demonstrated good spreads

S&P500 is an alternative which focuses on US companies, relatively safe over the years

I've stated the ones who proven themselves to endure the markets through statistics

Unregistered 02-05-2016 12:46 AM

hi all, coming in here for some advice.

i would like to take out say around 10k for investments as a start, any advice on where to start?

etfs seem like for long term
stocks too volatile and i have no experience
saving plans seems more for retirement
fixed deposits for 10k payout is minimal.

TIAs

Unregistered 04-07-2016 11:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 84809)

i would like to take out say around 10k for investments as a start, any advice on where to start?

TIAs

great eastern max growth enhanced , throw lump sum in and let it roll. Returns 3%. Low risk.

Unregistered 04-07-2016 11:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 84809)

TIAs

The question is whether you have an emergency fund as a buffer. Assuming yes, 10K can't really build anything thus continue saving up. Another way is to partner with someone and set up a small ecommerce/offline business.

lazyplane 05-07-2016 09:21 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 88152)
great eastern max growth enhanced , throw lump sum in and let it roll. Returns 3%. Low risk.

Might as well throw into CPF SA. 4% .

Unregistered 06-07-2016 10:52 AM

I am new to investing as well. I think there must be some plan being made before you start your investment.

After reading through a couple of financial blogs and article i think that there are few factors you need to soncider. I have wrote all these factors in my blog ://jyklmoneyblog.blogspot.sg/2016/07/what-is-good-investment-plan-part-one.html.

Not sure if it will help you with your planning

Unregistered 07-07-2016 10:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jonesalice34 (Post 88262)
It is not enough to invest in real estate, what do you think about investing in a real estate investment fund?

Buy and hold blue chip stocks on a monthly basis for the long term (20 years and above). Dividends and capital appreciation over the long term will earn u large amount of passive income.

Unregistered 26-02-2017 09:34 AM

The schroder Asian income fund pays about 5% interest per annum. Every month can get interest. How is this avenue for parking idle funds ?

newlaunchguru 21-03-2017 08:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 94979)
The schroder Asian income fund pays about 5% interest per annum. Every month can get interest. How is this avenue for parking idle funds ?

guess it's non-guaranteed...not sure what risk it is

BusinessSingapore 11-07-2017 03:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 94979)

This is a popular and quite an ok fund for parking money. I prefer however, UOB Asian high yield bond fund. HY has been the yield monster for the past 3 years, went down just a bit for the last few months and looking at markets now it is set to remain as a yield monster.

I prefer this HY as it did not have any oil related HY bonds exposure and avoided the swiber and related meltdown that cause most global HYa 8-10% drop in value. Almost a one year return for investors.

Unregistered 02-08-2017 08:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BusinessSingapore (Post 98624)
This is a popular and quite an ok fund for parking money. I prefer however, UOB Asian high yield bond fund. HY has been the yield monster for the past 3 years, went down just a bit for the last few months and looking at markets now it is set to remain as a yield monster.

I prefer this HY as it did not have any oil related HY bonds exposure and avoided the swiber and related meltdown that cause most global HYa 8-10% drop in value. Almost a one year return for investors.

Lazy mans way: DCA into STI ETF

BusinessSingapore 27-09-2017 02:08 PM

Lazy indeed, I wish more people would put their money into ETFs. That way, finding value would be much easier.

sbs 01-08-2018 02:11 AM

Well! If I give you CTR and CR stats you will ready to organize logistic line to processing income paid online orders outside of Singapore?