Salary.sg Forums

Salary.sg Forums (https://forums.salary.sg/)
-   Investments and Net Worth (https://forums.salary.sg/investments-net-worth/)
-   -   What to invest? (https://forums.salary.sg/investments-net-worth/3559-what-invest.html)

Unregistered 24-05-2015 12:30 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 67096)
If you are young and can buy and hold for a long time, invest in globally diversified ETFs e.g. Ivv (U.S. S and p index ), vea (global markets ex US)
Buy these through your online broker from the NYSE (not the versions listed in Singapore which have high expenses and low liquidity)
If you are a patient buy and hold investor, this is the best way to get long run returns. Historically, U.S. SnP has returned 10 percent per year.

Just to clarify, can I buy thru SCB online trading platform or RHB online portal?

Thank you.

Unregistered 24-05-2015 09:45 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 67107)
Just to clarify, can I buy thru SCB online trading platform or RHB online portal?

Thank you.

Yes you can buy through scb online. I have not tried rhb

Unregistered 24-05-2015 10:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 67096)
If you are young and can buy and hold for a long time, invest in globally diversified ETFs e.g. Ivv (U.S. S and p index ), vea (global markets ex US)
Buy these through your online broker from the NYSE (not the versions listed in Singapore which have high expenses and low liquidity)
If you are a patient buy and hold investor, this is the best way to get long run returns. Historically, U.S. SnP has returned 10 percent per year.

Sorry, how do you mean by ...not the versions listed in Sg.....low liquidity? Is there another version?

Real Person 19-10-2015 12:30 PM

Invest In STI, Vanguard Etfs S&P500

Came across this topic and like to share my opinions. The first thing to note is low risk results in decent returns. If you're comfortable with slow but conservative progression, investing in etfs should suffice.

STI etf may be the first viable option as you're clear of the companies listed in the index.

Vanguard can be in your choice as it's diversified and demonstrated good spreads

S&P500 is an alternative which focuses on US companies, relatively safe over the years

I've stated the ones who proven themselves to endure the markets through statistics

Unregistered 02-05-2016 12:46 AM

hi all, coming in here for some advice.

i would like to take out say around 10k for investments as a start, any advice on where to start?

etfs seem like for long term
stocks too volatile and i have no experience
saving plans seems more for retirement
fixed deposits for 10k payout is minimal.

TIAs

Unregistered 04-07-2016 11:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 84809)

i would like to take out say around 10k for investments as a start, any advice on where to start?

TIAs

great eastern max growth enhanced , throw lump sum in and let it roll. Returns 3%. Low risk.

Unregistered 04-07-2016 11:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 84809)

TIAs

The question is whether you have an emergency fund as a buffer. Assuming yes, 10K can't really build anything thus continue saving up. Another way is to partner with someone and set up a small ecommerce/offline business.

lazyplane 05-07-2016 09:21 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 88152)
great eastern max growth enhanced , throw lump sum in and let it roll. Returns 3%. Low risk.

Might as well throw into CPF SA. 4% .

Unregistered 06-07-2016 10:52 AM

I am new to investing as well. I think there must be some plan being made before you start your investment.

After reading through a couple of financial blogs and article i think that there are few factors you need to soncider. I have wrote all these factors in my blog ://jyklmoneyblog.blogspot.sg/2016/07/what-is-good-investment-plan-part-one.html.

Not sure if it will help you with your planning

Unregistered 07-07-2016 10:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jonesalice34 (Post 88262)
It is not enough to invest in real estate, what do you think about investing in a real estate investment fund?

Buy and hold blue chip stocks on a monthly basis for the long term (20 years and above). Dividends and capital appreciation over the long term will earn u large amount of passive income.