What are you investing in? - Page 10 - Salary.sg Forums
Salary.sg Forums  

Go Back   Salary.sg Forums > The Salary.sg Discussion Forums: > Investments and Net Worth

Investments and Net Worth Talk all about money making exploits, shares, property and building net worth

What are you investing in?

Old 19-01-2013, 02:25 PM
Administrator

admin has disabled reputation

I am the moderator but I don't usually check anything here.

It's likely that your posts contain too many links and were automatically flagged for moderaton. I've just approved a few such posts. Cheers.

Old 19-01-2013, 10:16 PM
Unregistered

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tracker View Post
Could be worthwhile if someone took the time and effort to subdivide and rent out small cubicles to foreign workers. Good returns from what I hear assuming one can manage them well lol. 8 maximum per house otherwise run afoul of the law, then again....

Not my cup of tea of course.

Zhang my other post went for moderation, maybe system think got inappropriate content lol
haha agreed, that's a good point, but this chap seems to spam all the treads with his Jurong 99yr landed "with lots of upside and potential" crap it's getting ridiculous. the minute you buy a 99yr landed your home starts depreciating! people buy landed for the LAND!

Old 20-01-2013, 11:38 PM

Tracker is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unregistered View Post
haha agreed, that's a good point, but this chap seems to spam all the treads with his Jurong 99yr landed "with lots of upside and potential" crap it's getting ridiculous. the minute you buy a 99yr landed your home starts depreciating! people buy landed for the LAND!
Agreed mate, buy land must be freehold or least 999 years with redevelopment potential (high plot ratio).

Unless its for own stay lah, but if its for own stay then its not an investment lol.

Old 21-01-2013, 05:32 PM
Unregistered

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tracker View Post
Agreed mate, buy land must be freehold or least 999 years with redevelopment potential (high plot ratio).

Unless its for own stay lah, but if its for own stay then its not an investment lol.

yup, i feel that 999 or FH landed is still a good investment even in this "cool" climate.

even if staying in it, in a very long term perspective it can still be considered an investment.

no matter how many condos or hdbs that are built by the government, landed supply will be always be limited.

the only disadvantage is the high quantum of entry.
Old 22-01-2013, 10:36 PM
Hedgie

I've been quite negative on SG property based on fundamentals, per my earlier posts. But post the cooling measures, developers have cut prices pretty aggressively and I think increasingly there is value in selective developments.

Just got an email from my longtime agent recommending D'Leedon - apparently with units starting at $1,243 psf (albeit #04-04).

Anyways, I am capped out by the 7% stamp duty, and the 50% LTV, but thought her views were pretty balanced, so thought I'd share her thoughts here.

<[email protected] says>

D'leedon discounts are, by far, one of the most attractive ones around offered by developers after the recent cooling measures.

The 3 bdrm has the best discount so far, offering 15% discount. Alot of the lower floors have been taken up and almost 60 units were snapped up over the wkend.

In terms of the general psf, I think it's quite reasonable for what you're getting - it's super near Farrer MRT and it's in D10 and definitely a ideal place for tenants to consider.

Of cos, if you are picking out the lowest psf of $12xx, then u'll notice that it's #04-04 or that it's a pretty big unit of 1507 sqft up.

In terms of quantum, #24-XX is not bad a deal for 3 bdrm 1216sqft and after 15% discount, it's about $1.7mil. It faces Leedon Heights Rd.

A 2 bdrm there, #22-XX, facing inwards, 1076sqft is already $1.74mil ($1618psf) after 10% discount.

Some info that I've received after the measure:

Star buy unit at Balestier is going for: FH, 1+1bdrm, 527sqft, #08-07: List price is $945K After 14% discount is $812,700 Nett ($1542psf)

The Seawind in District 15, east coast, FH, 1 bdrm 635sqft is going for $961K ( $1513psf ).

I think one of the things u have to consider is that there are 1715 units in D'leedon. The bulk being 1+S ( 262 units ) followed by the 3 / 3+S ( 194 units ), followed by 2 bdrms ( 190 units ) and so on.

It's TOP on paper is dec 2015 ( - usually earlier )

Leedon Residence, just beside D'leedon, by Guocoland is also under construction and it's also due for TOP end 2015.

It's FH and has 381 units and the smallest unit start from 1044sqft for a 2 bdrm.

It's psf for a 1044 sqft unit has been transacted for about $23xx psf so it's already about $2.4mil for it's smaller unit.

And D'leedon is much nearer to Farrer Rd MRT than Leedon Residence.

Levelz, which is across the road from D'leedon, is considered one of the newer ones in the area. It TOP in 2004 and a 990sqft unit transacted in nov for $1.4mil ($1414psf). A 743sqft transacted there in dec at a record price of about $1.26mil ( $1703 psf ). Levelz is a small project of only 126 units.

Spanish Village, which is just beside Levelz, is super old 1987, only 5 storeys high and I think it's psf is quite expensive. A 1528sqft unit transacted in dec 2012 for $2.48mil (1623psf ) and a 700sqft unit transacted in sept 2012 for $1.085mil ( $1551psf )
Old 23-01-2013, 09:39 AM
Unregistered

I came across this forum and found this thread. Interesting discussion indeed. I've been investing in real estate for many years and can share these few tips.

Most important is location - these are properties where there are lots of economic activities. Saw a comment on properties in the Jurong area, tend to agree that the properties there, despite 99 LH, has a lot of upside potential due to the new CBD plan. Did some research on the claims about the landed in the Jurong area, I found that there are hardly many landed properties there, only two landed estates in the area - the Lakeside Grove and Westwood landed estates, prices have been on an uptrend and not many on sale currently. I think owners are holding on for further upside. If you look at Sentosa and Marina Bay, last time not many people interested to buy there but now prices have increased by many fold. I think the same will happen in Jurong.

Primary School English Grammar and Vocabulary Drills
Primary School English Grammar and Vocabulary Drills

SG Bus Timing App
SG Bus Timing App - the best bus app - available on iOS and Android

Bursa Stocks Android App - check share prices
Bursa Stocks [Android] App - check latest share prices on the go

SGX Stocks Android App - check share prices
SGX Stocks [Android] App - check latest share prices on the go

SGX Stocks for iPad - check latest Singapore share prices
SGX Stocks [iPad] app
| SGX Stocks [iPhone] app

Old 23-01-2013, 11:39 PM

Tracker is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hedgie View Post
I've been quite negative on SG property based on fundamentals, per my earlier posts. But post the cooling measures, developers have cut prices pretty aggressively and I think increasingly there is value in selective developments.

Just got an email from my longtime agent recommending D'Leedon - apparently with units starting at $1,243 psf (albeit #04-04).

Anyways, I am capped out by the 7% stamp duty, and the 50% LTV, but thought her views were pretty balanced, so thought I'd share her thoughts here.

<[email protected] says>

D'leedon discounts are, by far, one of the most attractive ones around offered by developers after the recent cooling measures.

The 3 bdrm has the best discount so far, offering 15% discount. Alot of the lower floors have been taken up and almost 60 units were snapped up over the wkend.

In terms of the general psf, I think it's quite reasonable for what you're getting - it's super near Farrer MRT and it's in D10 and definitely a ideal place for tenants to consider.

Of cos, if you are picking out the lowest psf of $12xx, then u'll notice that it's #04-04 or that it's a pretty big unit of 1507 sqft up.

In terms of quantum, #24-XX is not bad a deal for 3 bdrm 1216sqft and after 15% discount, it's about $1.7mil. It faces Leedon Heights Rd.

A 2 bdrm there, #22-XX, facing inwards, 1076sqft is already $1.74mil ($1618psf) after 10% discount.

Some info that I've received after the measure:

Star buy unit at Balestier is going for: FH, 1+1bdrm, 527sqft, #08-07: List price is $945K After 14% discount is $812,700 Nett ($1542psf)

The Seawind in District 15, east coast, FH, 1 bdrm 635sqft is going for $961K ( $1513psf ).

I think one of the things u have to consider is that there are 1715 units in D'leedon. The bulk being 1+S ( 262 units ) followed by the 3 / 3+S ( 194 units ), followed by 2 bdrms ( 190 units ) and so on.

It's TOP on paper is dec 2015 ( - usually earlier )

Leedon Residence, just beside D'leedon, by Guocoland is also under construction and it's also due for TOP end 2015.

It's FH and has 381 units and the smallest unit start from 1044sqft for a 2 bdrm.

It's psf for a 1044 sqft unit has been transacted for about $23xx psf so it's already about $2.4mil for it's smaller unit.

And D'leedon is much nearer to Farrer Rd MRT than Leedon Residence.

Levelz, which is across the road from D'leedon, is considered one of the newer ones in the area. It TOP in 2004 and a 990sqft unit transacted in nov for $1.4mil ($1414psf). A 743sqft transacted there in dec at a record price of about $1.26mil ( $1703 psf ). Levelz is a small project of only 126 units.

Spanish Village, which is just beside Levelz, is super old 1987, only 5 storeys high and I think it's psf is quite expensive. A 1528sqft unit transacted in dec 2012 for $2.48mil (1623psf ) and a 700sqft unit transacted in sept 2012 for $1.085mil ( $1551psf )
Personally I am not too keen on D'leedon as an investment (then again I'm not really into 99 year projects). Mainly because

- There are 1715 units which means steep competition for rental, especially if its an investment property. The owners of the smaller projects might gain if the tenant pool does not like too much crowds and decides to stay there.

- Traffic, Have to see how the traffic is gonna get but ignoring the small road. Only Holland and Farrer roads being the main roads it could potentially be quite jam assuming the Condo has 75% occupancy at 50% of them drive. Also Farrer can be quite bad during peak hour. Did not study the layout so I may be wrong on this.

- Farrer MRT to me is not fantastic, cause it literally does not hit the city, one would still have to change one stop at Botannical once the downtown line is up. Target tenants would be those working maybe around Biopolis or with office along the CCTL?

Compared to the other projects yes D'leedon is cheap, but given current market sentiments buying and selling 5 years later to make a profit would be tough given that nothing is really going to change in the area that I can see. Plus the developer might push out more discounts if they cannot clear stock if they cannot meet the 5 year timeline where the govt hits them with more tax for the unsold units.

As for Spanish Village, sometimes its overlooked that the reason why its expensive is because of En Bloc potential. It was possible the previous developer did not max out the GFA or new rules allow for more GFA if it were to be rebuilt.

For example I bought a place built in the 80's as well, they are proposing en bloc using the additional GFA which can be utilized as the selling point for their price which would nett me about 80% profit it it goes thru. (I doubt it will though)

Just something to think about...
Old 24-01-2013, 12:58 AM
Unregistered

Quote:
I came across this forum and found this thread. Interesting discussion indeed. I've been investing in real estate for many years and can share these few tips.

Most important is location - these are properties where there are lots of economic activities. Saw a comment on properties in the Jurong area, tend to agree that the properties there, despite 99 LH, has a lot of upside potential due to the new CBD plan. Did some research on the claims about the landed in the Jurong area, I found that there are hardly many landed properties there, only two landed estates in the area - the Lakeside Grove and Westwood landed estates, prices have been on an uptrend and not many on sale currently. I think owners are holding on for further upside. If you look at Sentosa and Marina Bay, last time not many people interested to buy there but now prices have increased by many fold. I think the same will happen in Jurong.
I too by happenstance chanced upon this worthy forum. Many seasons have i been investing in real estate, and i would love to give some useful pointers.

Chiefmost of import is the location - i saw a comment on properties in the Jurong area, and i most definitely agree that there is a lot of upside potential there- as long as the investments are done in the condo sector! However, new investors must be very careful of 99 year leasehold landed properties as they are very unlikely to have any capital upside! Some property agents have been trying to offload these properties by going to forums to spread nonsense and thus we must all be on the lookout for these idiots. They use different writing styles but the information is the same - "BUY MY 99 YEAR LANDED PROPERTY PRETTY PLEASE". This will not be the last we will see of them, do beware.
Old 24-01-2013, 09:51 AM
Unregistered

Quote:
I too by happenstance chanced upon this worthy forum. Many seasons have i been investing in real estate, and i would love to give some useful pointers.

Chiefmost of import is the location - i saw a comment on properties in the Jurong area, and i most definitely agree that there is a lot of upside potential there- as long as the investments are done in the condo sector! However, new investors must be very careful of 99 year leasehold landed properties as they are very unlikely to have any capital upside! Some property agents have been trying to offload these properties by going to forums to spread nonsense and thus we must all be on the lookout for these idiots. They use different writing styles but the information is the same - "BUY MY 99 YEAR LANDED PROPERTY PRETTY PLEASE". This will not be the last we will see of them, do beware.
Please respect the diversity of views in this forum. This forum is meant to share opinions. Looks like you are not capable of appreciating the views of others. Please respect others. Thank you.
Old 24-01-2013, 02:49 PM
Unregistered

Quote:
Please respect the diversity of views in this forum. This forum is meant to share opinions. Looks like you are not capable of appreciating the views of others. Please respect others. Thank you.
Respect is earned. Not given.

You earn respect by giving cogent views, backed up by facts and figures. That kind of analysis adds value to the forum.

Random unsubstantiated arguments with an obvious bias does not.