What are you investing in? - Page 7 - Salary.sg Forums
Salary.sg Forums  

Go Back   Salary.sg Forums > The Salary.sg Discussion Forums: > Investments and Net Worth

Investments and Net Worth Talk all about money making exploits, shares, property and building net worth

What are you investing in?

Old 03-01-2013, 12:29 AM

Kenn is on a distinguished road

We've digress off the topic on - What are you investing on?
As for the charitable topics, we can create a new forum subject and share our ventures and plights, cheers.

Singapore Properties - Piping Hot and Demand exceeds Supply (leading to rocket prices)
M'sia Properties - Paradigm shift as SGD currency stands strong (lower investments and decent gains, K.L has Reverse D&S curve whereby Supply exceeds Demand)
HK Properties - Definitely not landing a finger due to berserk prices (question our sanity for investment rationals)

Warmest Regards,
Kenn

Old 03-01-2013, 08:04 AM
Unregistered

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kenn View Post
We've digress off the topic on - What are you investing on?
As for the charitable topics, we can create a new forum subject and share our ventures and plights, cheers.

Singapore Properties - Piping Hot and Demand exceeds Supply (leading to rocket prices)
M'sia Properties - Paradigm shift as SGD currency stands strong (lower investments and decent gains, K.L has Reverse D&S curve whereby Supply exceeds Demand)
HK Properties - Definitely not landing a finger due to berserk prices (question our sanity for investment rationals)

Warmest Regards,
Kenn
Buy landed properties near the Jurong Lake District. These 3 storey houses have a lot of upside price potential.

Old 03-01-2013, 10:02 AM
Unregistered

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unregistered View Post
Buy landed properties near the Jurong Lake District. These 3 storey houses have a lot of upside price potential.
Ya that sounds interesting, especially with the upcoming development of the lake district. How much are properties there on a psf basis (both build up and land)? And are these freehold?

Old 03-01-2013, 07:04 PM

Tracker is on a distinguished road

Thanks for sharing mate,

I will write down my personal views, if you feel otherwise feel free to just point them out. I am here to learn

Also would help if you signed off with a nickname makes it easier to identify you.

Quote:
We hv a HDB and a freehold semi detached in district 10. My parents are staying in one house and we are staying in the other so no rental yield but potential rental yield is approx 4.5% for HDB and approx 2.2% for the semi d.

For Malaysia, am looking primarily at JB and at KL. Basically JB is a bet on Iskandar (should be more positive pursuant to positive relations between singapore and malaysia post the land swap agreement between msia and singapore - and temasek now pumping money into iskandar projects) and on the impact of the MRT (expected in 2018 - broad agreement already announced - and expected to be located in the tanjung puteri area).

Plus there are still arbitrage opportunities there. New launches are going at about MYR1000 to MYR 1500 psf, but we can still get condos within minutes walk to the MRT station for MYR 300 to 400 psf. So limited downside.
I believe the MRT was also help bring up the value of the area surrounding, from what I know about the MRT location will be in the tanjung puteri area as well near the customs building. I think that is the only location that is 70% confirm, the question is if the MRT will get extended beyond that to benefit the area around which is a question mark. Malaysia being Malaysia hard to say assuming other politicians with difference don’t get involved. But I agree with what you mentioned about getting residential condo around there I believe it will be beneficial as well.

The Nusajaya section is quite interesting with a lot of changes and is easily accessible via the 2nd link, I doubt the MRT lines will really benefit there unless an extension happens. For me a safer play in that area would be commercial (retail) as opposed to residential which has lower rental benefits (compared to the residential with Golf courses etc unless you intend to use it as a holiday house)

That said certain developments near Puteri Harbour is worth a look if the Msia government can really pull off what they say and build an entire city there. (Right now its sort of Barren)

I have concerns about property safety in JB though, hear many stories about either metal gates getting stolen, wires ripped out, illegal occupants etc. Do they have reliable property management firms in Msia? I have doubts about their property maturity for such services.

Quote:
KL is also interesting, probably better from a rental perspective because there are more expats there. But prices have climbed quite a bit over the last few years (vs Johor, where prices have largely stagnated over the past decade) so some of the upside is probably already priced in. And also not was to figure out where exactly to buy. KLCC and damansara heights are probably the no brainers but prices are already sky high, so I think limited upside. Mont kiara is another favourite but I heard rental not so easy. So am looking at Taman desa (cheap and very central but not fantastic for rental) and perhaps cyberjaya (many expats and potentially good appreciation but execution risk) now.

What are your thoughts re KL?

Just a couple of points to add to above.

For KL, what mode of exposure would you prefer - i.e. landed residential (any restriction re foreigner buying landed ? Am hearing different things from different people), resale condo, new condo, or commercial / industrial ?
I like KL because the city is growing (Abeit slowly) from the increasing investments and tourism from the region and middle eastern states, also the Singapore government ties getting warmer with Malaysia would definitely benefit the capital. I was looking into the KL Sentral area primarily because of the upgraded rail lines. As a holiday house I find it ideal to take a train to KL and then walk to the condo, also since it’s a transit hub I believe the government would do more to enhance the area (they are already) which would add further enhancement.

Quote:
Also, let me tap your thoughts on this project I'm looking at specifically- a place called Royal Domain in KL.
- About 3km from Mont Kiara, where new launches are at MYR1k psf, and existing developments are at about MYR700 to 800 psf
- Apparently, there's going to be a large scale mixed development coming up just opposite in 2015 with MRT and LRT linkage (approvals in place apparently + Naza TTDI is the developer of the proposed metropolis)
- Secondary market pricing c. MYR400+ psf
- Rental c. MYR2.6k

Again, positives are fantastic location + arbitrage pricing vs Mont Kiara + potential upside from new development + transit linkage via MRT / LRT.

Negatives are high density development (1000+ units, and Royal Regent with 600+ units coming up soon) + terrible traffic along Jalan Kuching.

What do you think?
That said I would like to understand more about the government plans for the city first (MRT Lines, Economic plans etc) as you know Malaysia government is all over the place. I’m the type who will only consider an area if there are some future potentials to it, I do not know any details about Royal Domain but I would definitely check it out but it seems to tick the correct boxes (Near the city centre, future transit links, shopping malls). If the area is quite quiet a moderate increase in the population may help attract more investments in the area to cater to them?

As you mentioned the low cost outlay per condo (250 – 300K SGD) makes them very attractive.

Things/Risk to consider

- Other charges – Best get the total charges you will incur every month/year on the property i.e Taxes, MCST charge etc and use minimal rental to calculate lowest return as part of the risk consideration
- All Cash – I am assuming you are doing an all cash investment (no borrowing from Msia banks?)
- CCY fluctuations – MYR most likely will depreciate against SGD in the long run have to factor this in.
- Definitely location – Is there room to build more condo’s in the area? Do not want it turning into another Mont Kiara.
- There was some talk about foreigners being restricted to buy properties above 1 Million MYR, not sure if this will be implemented but if it is it will probably hit the resale market harder and forcing foreign owned properties below 1 M to be sold only to locals.
Landed
- We have bought a landed property in one of the smaller states (not KL) before and the process itself was fairly complex but the lawyer knew what he was doing and there were no restrictions I was aware of, I am not sure if it differs from state to state though. Also foreigners can buy landed property in Iskander no restrictions there that I am aware either.

- Unless you know people in Malaysia who can help you take care of the landed property or perhaps one of those landed properties in a really gated compound might be advisable to stay clear of them. The advantage will be a higher resale value (Cause locals prefer landed) but the downside is property safety which is apparently quite high especially if people know that hardly anyone resides there

- Personally I would prefer a non landed as an investment property in a foreign country.

Breakdown
- Mont kiara – Oversaturated with Condo’s, rental will be tough. From my friends opinions (who live in MK) I would not consider.
- Taman desa – Heard its really jammed although central, however if rental is not there there’s probably a reason for it.
- Cyberjaya – I don’t have much details about this area, but isn’t this quite far out from the City area?

I will look into Royal Domain, is there a sales office here you know of? Also check out the sammyboy forum (clean one) a lot of guys there are heavily into Msia investments. They helped me quite abit when I went into Iskandar to take a look.

Besides Malaysia there are some Singapore properties one can consider as well, I believe areas along the Thompson line should benefit immensely though it’s a long term play (2019?). Currently my focus is still more on SG then any area, primarily because I am more familiar with the market here and safety factor of course. Lets see if the market corrects or not.

Is your HDB fully paid up? If not you might want to consider paying that up first as it will restrict your investments in SG.

Just my thoughts
Old 03-01-2013, 07:15 PM

Tracker is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Life is short, make the best of your life. Don't think too much of being rich, you will not bring all the wealth in this world to your grave. Give to your children? You will spoil them an worse create disharmony when they squabble over your wealth.

Invest in relationships, raise children with string character and morale, not lawyers and bankers who are out to cheat people. Do lots of charity, feed the poor and build communities and eradicate ghettos.

Your success as a human is not how much wealth you have but how much you have touched the lives of others, how much you made a difference in your community. When you leave this world, you will be sorely missed, that is your true worth as a human.
Actually we're investing in passive investment to make our money work for us (does not require a lot of time), most of us would want to be able to receive incomes and work less so we can spend more time establishing relationships , so we can raise children with string character and morals (not morale) and not lawyers and bankers who are out to cheat people.

With this free time and income we can then do lots of charity, feed the poor and build communities and eradicate ghettos.

After which our success as a human will be not how much wealth we have but how much we have touched the lives of others, then when we look back we can see how much difference we made in our community. Hence when we leave this world well we just leave to be honest. Properties and stuff can be put in a irrevocable family trust to take care of the family for generations to prevent disharmony

Old 04-01-2013, 12:10 AM
Unregistered

Thumbs up Anyone interested in investment?

Anyone interested in earning at least 40% returns of your investment?

Old 04-01-2013, 08:12 AM
Unregistered

Quote:
Anyone interested in earning at least 40% returns of your investment?
I am and certainly everyone will be. What's the catch?
Old 04-01-2013, 12:17 PM
Unregistered

Thumbs up

Investment and trading in shares, unit trust, syndicate in horse ownership, properties.

I am a remisier and always on a lookout for money-making opportunites that I will share with interested clients...

If you are keen or interested to trade, please contact me at [email protected]

Cheers & wishing all a great 2013 ahead!
Old 04-01-2013, 12:25 PM
Unregistered

Thumbs up

Quote:
38yo, wife 35yo. combined:

cash 600k, 1% interest
stocks 300k, ~2% dividend yield overall
Hi dear wife,

interested to join my brokerage house as my client, will provide competitive rate?

If interested, please contact me at [email protected]

Cheers & thanks!
Old 04-01-2013, 01:06 PM
Unregistered

38yo, married, no kid

Cash - 150k
Investments - 500k based on YTD values on stocks, bonds, equities, commodities and CPF

Likes to enjoy life to the fullest with wife, family and friends so no plan (yet) to join the property madness. No regret if die tomorrow and too bad for my kids if they can't learn to fish for themselves as I don't plan to leave them big legacy.