What are you investing in? - Page 6 - Salary.sg Forums
Salary.sg Forums  

Go Back   Salary.sg Forums > The Salary.sg Discussion Forums: > Investments and Net Worth

Investments and Net Worth Talk all about money making exploits, shares, property and building net worth

What are you investing in?

Old 30-12-2012, 01:19 PM

Sam Adams is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unregistered View Post
Not a newspaper, just an online broadcast. The local buyer's a 25 year old girl's just a proxy for her brother and wife based overseas in the US.
I'm also 26 and based in the US. Why can't I afford a 2m EC.

Old 30-12-2012, 10:12 PM
Unregistered

I was just reading thru and one forummer posted:

"1 aussie property bout 900k with monthly rental income of 4.6k"

Any pros and cons to this? Hope you guys can share tips on Aussie property!

Old 31-12-2012, 08:31 AM
Unregistered

Quote:
I was just reading thru and one forummer posted:

"1 aussie property bout 900k with monthly rental income of 4.6k"

Any pros and cons to this? Hope you guys can share tips on Aussie property!
Yes, that would be interesting. Specifically, are there any hidden costs, and which part of Australia would you look at in particular and why.

As mentioned, I have looked at US property as well. Saw a us$275k landed property, with rental of about us$1.6k and mortgage payments of us $988 per month (30y fixed rate).

Sounded like a easy decision at first (positive carry of us $612 per month on a fixed rate mortgage), but turns out the additional monthly fees made it a lot less attractive (ie insurance of $100, property management of $150 (like property agency fees), property tax of $200, monthly estate maintenance of $200 etc).

Old 31-12-2012, 11:33 PM
Unregistered

Invest in spending your time with your loved ones.
Invest in doing good deeds and giving donation to the poor and destitute.
Just think before you buy that 20th luxury bag - would it be better to donate the money to the destitute and old.
Don't just think of yourself but think and care for the unfortunate and poor.

Primary School English Grammar and Vocabulary Drills
Primary School English Grammar and Vocabulary Drills

SG Bus Timing App
SG Bus Timing App - the best bus app - available on iOS and Android

Bursa Stocks Android App - check share prices
Bursa Stocks [Android] App - check latest share prices on the go

SGX Stocks Android App - check share prices
SGX Stocks [Android] App - check latest share prices on the go

SGX Stocks for iPad - check latest Singapore share prices
SGX Stocks [iPad] app
| SGX Stocks [iPhone] app
Old 01-01-2013, 11:24 AM

Tracker is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Ok perhaps let me start the ball rolling.

Personally, I still like property because of the leverage effect, and if you get rental consistently, are effectively only on the hook for the downpayment.

So, the next question is where.

Personally am looking at Malaysia because of proximity, low capital outlay, potential 3rd world type appreciation, and the Singapore effect (investments in Iskandar and upcoming mrt from Singapore).

But important to go in with eyes open as there are obvious risks in execution (malaysian govt plans do not necessarily materialise), exchange rate exposure, failure to get rental (apparently not say in Malaysia as locals do not rent, and expat population is limited).

Was also thinking about the US as property prices there in man states are depressed post subprime and have been picking up of late as employment numbers have improved, but was detered as it is not easy to understand the local dynamics as property investment does require intimate local knowledge.

Am keen to hear about other investment ideas from forum. In difficult investment times like this, need to hear more ideas !
I would like to hear more about your Singapore based property investments if you are comfortable in sharing.

If you read my earlier I am also involved in the SG market both residential and commercial.

My family invest in properies in Msia, Aust and london but as they are family based investments so I won't mention them in details but it gives me some insight to both markets. I write the generic bits here but there are much more areas which really ought to be covered.

Malaysia - Certain parts of KL are growing in terms of rental viability from expat pools and also upcoming malls and infrastructure. Persoanlly I like the KL Sentral area with good links to the transit system and the KTM train which I hear is being upgraded to a higher speed dual track system as opposed to what it is now. Prices are high now but if they do dip I will be keen on doing a 2nd look. Also parts within the KL golden triangle can be considered. I will skip out JB and Malacca states for now.

London - Rental yield is good in the UK, main issue we face is maintenance of the property. If you buy landed to rent out you need a very solid house because the landed properties there take a beating from the weather. Apartments generally near the tube lines near the Square mile/Oxford street (Kings College/Goodge Street area)/Canary Wharf do get a decent rental yield and good tenant pool (i.e they don't trash and run away). Usually the tenants are working professionals or overseas students. Bear in mind UK has alot of charges like council tax/ground rent etc that will eat into your rental. I think the law does not allow you to borrow locally for rental of property so either you seek financing in SG or pay upfront.

Some might disagree but that's from our personal experience.
Old 01-01-2013, 08:35 PM
Unregistered

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tracker View Post
I would like to hear more about your Singapore based property investments if you are comfortable in sharing.

If you read my earlier I am also involved in the SG market both residential and commercial.

My family invest in properies in Msia, Aust and london but as they are family based investments so I won't mention them in details but it gives me some insight to both markets. I write the generic bits here but there are much more areas which really ought to be covered.

Malaysia - Certain parts of KL are growing in terms of rental viability from expat pools and also upcoming malls and infrastructure. Persoanlly I like the KL Sentral area with good links to the transit system and the KTM train which I hear is being upgraded to a higher speed dual track system as opposed to what it is now. Prices are high now but if they do dip I will be keen on doing a 2nd look. Also parts within the KL golden triangle can be considered. I will skip out JB and Malacca states for now.

London - Rental yield is good in the UK, main issue we face is maintenance of the property. If you buy landed to rent out you need a very solid house because the landed properties there take a beating from the weather. Apartments generally near the tube lines near the Square mile/Oxford street (Kings College/Goodge Street area)/Canary Wharf do get a decent rental yield and good tenant pool (i.e they don't trash and run away). Usually the tenants are working professionals or overseas students. Bear in mind UK has alot of charges like council tax/ground rent etc that will eat into your rental. I think the law does not allow you to borrow locally for rental of property so either you seek financing in SG or pay upfront.

Some might disagree but that's from our personal experience.
We hv a HDB and a freehold semi detached in district 10. My parents are staying in one house and we are staying in the other so no rental yield but potential rental yield is approx 4.5% for HDB and approx 2.2% for the semi d.

For Malaysia, am looking primarily at JB and at KL. Basically JB is a bet on Iskandar (should be more positive pursuant to positive relations between singapore and malaysia post the land swap agreement between msia and singapore - and temasek now pumping money into iskandar projects) and on the impact of the MRT (expected in 2018 - broad agreement already announced - and expected to be located in the tanjung puteri area).

Plus there are still arbitrage opportunities there. New launches are going at about MYR1000 to MYR 1500 psf, but we can still get condos within minutes walk to the MRT station for MYR 300 to 400 psf. So limited downside.

KL is also interesting, probably better from a rental perspective because there are more expats there. But prices have climbed quite a bit over the last few years (vs Johor, where prices have largely stagnated over the past decade) so some of the upside is probably already priced in. And also not was to figure out where exactly to buy. KLCC and damansara heights are probably the no brainers but prices are already sky high, so I think limited upside. Mont kiara is another favourite but I heard rental not so easy. So am looking at Taman desa (cheap and very central but not fantastic for rental) and perhaps cyberjaya (many expats and potentially good appreciation but execution risk) now.

What are your thoughts re KL?

Old 01-01-2013, 11:56 PM
Unregistered

Just a couple of points to add to above.

For KL, what mode of exposure would you prefer - i.e. landed residential (any restriction re foreigner buying landed ? Am hearing different things from different people), resale condo, new condo, or commercial / industrial ?

Also, let me tap your thoughts on this project I'm looking at specifically- a place called Royal Domain in KL.
- About 3km from Mont Kiara, where new launches are at MYR1k psf, and existing developments are at about MYR700 to 800 psf
- Apparently, there's going to be a large scale mixed development coming up just opposite in 2015 with MRT and LRT linkage (approvals in place apparently + Naza TTDI is the developer of the proposed metropolis)
- Secondary market pricing c. MYR400+ psf
- Rental c. MYR2.6k

Again, positives are fantastic location + arbitrage pricing vs Mont Kiara + potential upside from new development + transit linkage via MRT / LRT.

Negatives are high density development (1000+ units, and Royal Regent with 600+ units coming up soon) + terrible traffic along Jalan Kuching.

What do you think?
Old 02-01-2013, 07:48 AM
Unregistered

Don't waste your time.

Quote:
Just a couple of points to add to above.

For KL, what mode of exposure would you prefer - i.e. landed residential (any restriction re foreigner buying landed ? Am hearing different things from different people), resale condo, new condo, or commercial / industrial ?

Also, let me tap your thoughts on this project I'm looking at specifically- a place called Royal Domain in KL.
- About 3km from Mont Kiara, where new launches are at MYR1k psf, and existing developments are at about MYR700 to 800 psf
- Apparently, there's going to be a large scale mixed development coming up just opposite in 2015 with MRT and LRT linkage (approvals in place apparently + Naza TTDI is the developer of the proposed metropolis)
- Secondary market pricing c. MYR400+ psf
- Rental c. MYR2.6k

Again, positives are fantastic location + arbitrage pricing vs Mont Kiara + potential upside from new development + transit linkage via MRT / LRT.

Negatives are high density development (1000+ units, and Royal Regent with 600+ units coming up soon) + terrible traffic along Jalan Kuching.

What do you think?
Old 02-01-2013, 08:28 AM
Unregistered

Quote:
Don't waste your time.
I think this is an interesting thread.

Why don't you add some value either by quantifying your comments or by sharing what you are investing in instead?
Old 02-01-2013, 07:11 PM
Unregistered

Life is short, make the best of your life. Don't think too much of being rich, you will not bring all the wealth in this world to your grave. Give to your children? You will spoil them an worse create disharmony when they squabble over your wealth.

Invest in relationships, raise children with string character and morale, not lawyers and bankers who are out to cheat people. Do lots of charity, feed the poor and build communities and eradicate ghettos.

Your success as a human is not how much wealth you have but how much you have touched the lives of others, how much you made a difference in your community. When you leave this world, you will be sorely missed, that is your true worth as a human.