On Margin Call for Property - Page 4 - Salary.sg Forums
Salary.sg Forums  

Go Back   Salary.sg Forums > The Salary.sg Discussion Forums: > Investments and Net Worth

Investments and Net Worth Talk all about money making exploits, shares, property and building net worth

On Margin Call for Property

Old 08-11-2011, 05:22 PM
Unregistered

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unregistered View Post
Hello, first thing first, did Mr. Mah lose to opposition? I think Mr. Khaw is better, so price will continue to shoot up.....................

Away from these political figures, look at the situation now, US high unemployment, Europe on the brink of recession (thanks to Greece and now, Italy). Our price is stablizing. Now, if by a small chance, the economy is improving in both states. What do you expect the price will head? Confdence level will be towards Asia countries. Which countries are safe to invest?
Well, the other argument is that income has not grown as fast as housing prices, implying young people are finding it hard to afford a roof.

Take another example. Car prices are now beyond the reach of normal wage earners, shattering many dreams. Young people basically have nothing to look forward to.

Old 08-11-2011, 06:12 PM
Margin call your head

Quote:
Well, the other argument is that income has not grown as fast as housing prices, implying young people are finding it hard to afford a roof.

Take another example. Car prices are now beyond the reach of normal wage earners, shattering many dreams. Young people basically have nothing to look forward to.
Hello friend, it is the same for every generation regarding income. But hey, look at the present revision of the income ceiling for BTO, from 8k to 10k. Doesn't it show that the younger generation is better off than the older gen. Of course, price of housing will keep rising (actually that is what we are discussing now). Just look at the present BTO, price also increase, do you think the private sector will stay the same or crash? If so, more people (from having public housing) will bang wall. I will always advise young generation to start getting a flat once they are eligible. Don't wait till it is so high, then you really have to bang head. Once you are stable, upgrade to other properties.

Please, forget about car first. You cannot sleep in a car for the price you are paying. Also, it lasts for 10 yrs. Might as well use that $ to pay for your house and clear any debt as soon as possible.

You have to decide what you want in life. If a person dream the "impossible", definitely it will be impossible to achieve. Go step by step and focus on what you want to achieve by 30yrs, 40 yrs, 50yrs old. It will be easier in life. Trust me.

Old 08-11-2011, 08:41 PM
Unregistered

Quote:
Originally Posted by Margin call your head View Post
Hello friend, it is the same for every generation regarding income. But hey, look at the present revision of the income ceiling for BTO, from 8k to 10k. Doesn't it show that the younger generation is better off than the older gen. Of course, price of housing will keep rising (actually that is what we are discussing now). Just look at the present BTO, price also increase, do you think the private sector will stay the same or crash? If so, more people (from having public housing) will bang wall. I will always advise young generation to start getting a flat once they are eligible. Don't wait till it is so high, then you really have to bang head. Once you are stable, upgrade to other properties.

Please, forget about car first. You cannot sleep in a car for the price you are paying. Also, it lasts for 10 yrs. Might as well use that $ to pay for your house and clear any debt as soon as possible.

You have to decide what you want in life. If a person dream the "impossible", definitely it will be impossible to achieve. Go step by step and focus on what you want to achieve by 30yrs, 40 yrs, 50yrs old. It will be easier in life. Trust me.
Because housing prices have far outpaced wage growth and by a lot, the only natural outcome is a hard landing. My advice for young people is different: wait it out, or rent, or stay with parents.

You alluded that car prices are exorbitant, so when in your opinion will housing prices be exorbitant as well? $1m for a 3rm HDB?

Old 09-11-2011, 01:33 AM
Unregistered

Quote:
Because housing prices have far outpaced wage growth and by a lot, the only natural outcome is a hard landing. My advice for young people is different: wait it out, or rent, or stay with parents.
On Dec 14, 2009, Minister Mentor Lee said "Singaporeans can expect the prices of HDB flats to keep on rising as long as the economy continues to grow." The HDB Resale Price Index was 150.8.

On March 20, 2011, Minister Mentor Lee told Tanjong Pagar residents "'85% of Singaporeans are living in HDB flats and we intend to keep the values of these homes up. It will never go down." The HDB Resale Price Index was 174.8.

On Nov 7, 2011, Minister Mentor Lee told Holland Drive resident Mr. Lim Tow Nam "Don't sell your HDB flat. The price will go up". The HDB Resale Price Index stands at 187.2.

Young people would have been better off listening to Minister Mentor's hard truths rather than advice on hard landing.
Old 09-11-2011, 09:43 AM
Unregistered

Quote:
On Dec 14, 2009, Minister Mentor Lee said "Singaporeans can expect the prices of HDB flats to keep on rising as long as the economy continues to grow." The HDB Resale Price Index was 150.8.

On March 20, 2011, Minister Mentor Lee told Tanjong Pagar residents "'85% of Singaporeans are living in HDB flats and we intend to keep the values of these homes up. It will never go down." The HDB Resale Price Index was 174.8.

On Nov 7, 2011, Minister Mentor Lee told Holland Drive resident Mr. Lim Tow Nam "Don't sell your HDB flat. The price will go up". The HDB Resale Price Index stands at 187.2.

Young people would have been better off listening to Minister Mentor's hard truths rather than advice on hard landing.
So your advice is to borrow to the hilt for that roof over your head?

My advice is to up stakes and leave Singapore for good. Make enough here while you're young and then migrate / settle at those poorer but developed western countries (lots of them after this crisis).
Old 10-11-2011, 12:04 PM
Margin call your head

Quote:
So your advice is to borrow to the hilt for that roof over your head?

My advice is to up stakes and leave Singapore for good. Make enough here while you're young and then migrate / settle at those poorer but developed western countries (lots of them after this crisis).
Bye bye to you then. If you think the forest is greener outside.

You thinking is quite childish, I am surpised. Every time a policy change by the so called "poorer" countries, then you have to pack your bags and move again ? Hello, please wake up.

Your roots is here, so better make full use of it. Every people buy flats, so why not. It will never drop to zero, not like shares of other investments. The worst you will still got a roof over your head. Who ask you to borrow the max? Only senseless ppl will do so. Be frugal in your lifestyle, pay off your debt as soon as possible and go for other properties (if affordable). Stop procastinating about going to developing countries, you think the security is better than Sg, think twice. Do you think the international school is better than Sg neighbourhood schools, think again.

Be realistic about what you have and not what you want to have.

Old 10-11-2011, 08:55 PM
hedgie

Quote:
Bye bye to you then. If you think the forest is greener outside.

You thinking is quite childish, I am surpised. Every time a policy change by the so called "poorer" countries, then you have to pack your bags and move again ? Hello, please wake up.

Your roots is here, so better make full use of it. Every people buy flats, so why not. It will never drop to zero, not like shares of other investments. The worst you will still got a roof over your head. Who ask you to borrow the max? Only senseless ppl will do so. Be frugal in your lifestyle, pay off your debt as soon as possible and go for other properties (if affordable). Stop procastinating about going to developing countries, you think the security is better than Sg, think twice. Do you think the international school is better than Sg neighbourhood schools, think again.

Be realistic about what you have and not what you want to have.
Mark my words - there will be a 30% or more drop in property prices within 5-yrs.

Current lvls are unsustainable by every fundamental measure. And with the world on the cusp of a liquidity crisis, the liquidity argument has limited life.

I've been in the global markets business for 20yrs and I've seldom been as clear about anything as I'm about this.
Old 10-11-2011, 11:10 PM
Millionaire Member

Wiseman1 is on a distinguished road

Quote:

You are just one of the many stupid naive idiots here who dance to the tunes of whatever the PAP says....remember.....the PAP government played a large role in driving up the property prices to the ridiculous levels we are seeing today....with their stupid asset enhancement policies starting in the 1990s....making everyone asset rich but cash poor....they have realised long ago that this policy is not sustainable but is too far down the road of no return....what they can only do now is to say things which would prop up property prices as frequently as possible in public.....a drop in property prices which would trigger margin calls by banks on the huge loans taken up by sillyporeans is unthinkable.....but for how long???
Maybe on the day that happens they would have to use the reserves to bail out the banks facing sillyporeans who can no longer service their humongous debts....the alternative is for this place to sink.....
Old 11-11-2011, 09:32 AM
Margin call your head

Quote:
Originally Posted by hedgie View Post
Mark my words - there will be a 30% or more drop in property prices within 5-yrs.

Current lvls are unsustainable by every fundamental measure. And with the world on the cusp of a liquidity crisis, the liquidity argument has limited life.

I've been in the global markets business for 20yrs and I've seldom been as clear about anything as I'm about this.
Used saliva to mark? Pui.

30% drop? Come on, you can do better than that with your so called global markets business for 20yrs. You are not even sure in which segments of the properties market will be impact and you dare to put across 30%. Please, don't say that without any justification and analysis. In properties markets, there are few segment which would be impact, but I would think the no. would be hovering around 5% to 8% drop. Those are in the commercial and industrial sectors. Residential sectors (private) would not be affected much except for landed properties at near city location. Suburban leasehold will be able to maintain at present psf.

My advice to already committed owner, to keep your job and continue to service your properties loan, don't rush into such unjustified speculation that was is happening in US and Europe will affect your properties price. Those are just coffee shop uncle speculation.

HDB flats resales price will continue to rise, until 2008. However, if our population reaches 7 million by then, it will continue the momentun.

Primary School English Grammar and Vocabulary Drills
Primary School English Grammar and Vocabulary Drills

SG Bus Timing App
SG Bus Timing App - the best bus app - available on iOS and Android

Bursa Stocks Android App - check share prices
Bursa Stocks [Android] App - check latest share prices on the go

SGX Stocks Android App - check share prices
SGX Stocks [Android] App - check latest share prices on the go

SGX Stocks for iPad - check latest Singapore share prices
SGX Stocks [iPad] app
| SGX Stocks [iPhone] app
Old 11-11-2011, 10:18 AM
Unregistered

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wiseman1 View Post
You are just one of the many stupid naive idiots here who dance to the tunes of whatever the PAP says....remember.....the PAP government played a large role in driving up the property prices to the ridiculous levels we are seeing today....with their stupid asset enhancement policies starting in the 1990s
I don't mind being a stupid naive idiot since it is so profitable. Every quarter just watch the HDB resale price index go up and get a five-figure bonus dropping from heaven every year without having to do anything.

Quote:
HDB flats resales price will continue to rise, until 2008. However, if our population reaches 7 million by then, it will continue the momentun.
How can be until 2008? Do you mean 2018 or 2080? I hope it will continue to rise until 2080.