Salary.sg Forums

Salary.sg Forums (https://forums.salary.sg/)
-   Investments and Net Worth (https://forums.salary.sg/investments-net-worth/)
-   -   How much savings do you have? (https://forums.salary.sg/investments-net-worth/1199-how-much-savings-do-you-have.html)

Unregistered 31-03-2013 09:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 35092)
Age: early 40's, 2 kids

Annual Income: $100K (mine), wife (not working any more)
Cash: $548K (mine), $439K (wife)

My CPF: $38K (OA), $112K (SA)
My Stock: $20K
My SRS: $12K
My Insurance current value: $12K

Wife CPF: $1K (OA), $7K (SA)
Wife Stock: $4K
Wife Insurance current value: $149K

5rm HDB balance loan $127K
Jap car fully paid

Don't know what to invest for passive income. Thinking property too high, waiting for opportunity to buy more stocks and plan to start up new business.

Time running out as soon would be in the 50's, 60's.

I am not a risk taker and that's explain why I have no 2nd prty and much stocks.

Appreciate for current situation advise.

Thanks.

How did you accumulate so much cash?

I would suggest investing half your cash when the next recession comes. It will be sooner than people expect.

Unregistered 31-03-2013 10:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 35092)
Age: early 40's, 2 kids

Annual Income: $100K (mine), wife (not working any more)
Cash: $548K (mine), $439K (wife)

My CPF: $38K (OA), $112K (SA)
My Stock: $20K
My SRS: $12K
My Insurance current value: $12K

Wife CPF: $1K (OA), $7K (SA)
Wife Stock: $4K
Wife Insurance current value: $149K

5rm HDB balance loan $127K
Jap car fully paid

Don't know what to invest for passive income. Thinking property too high, waiting for opportunity to buy more stocks and plan to start up new business.

Time running out as soon would be in the 50's, 60's.

I am not a risk taker and that's explain why I have no 2nd prty and much stocks.

Appreciate for current situation advise.

Thanks.

Can understand your urgency to deploy your cash, but this forum is not exactly the right place to seek genuine advice. Have to take things thrown here with more than a pinch of salt.

Sadly though inflation risk is real. For eg, $131k today will be worth only $87K in 10 years time with current inflation rate of 5%. I am having the same problem / worry. What I did was to max out both mine and my spouse's CPF SA to earn the 4% yearly. Because we max it out some years back, and with compounding interest, both our CPF SA have $157K each now!

I have also thrown some money into Reits earning 6 - 8 % returns. So far so good.

Unregistered 02-04-2013 12:24 AM

Me and wife, both 35

5 room flat: Owes bank 110k, currently valued around 600k
Cash: Combined 270k
Stocks: 130k, yields around 6k dividend a year
Car: Korean, fully paid, left 6 years of COE

Annual income: me, 100k, wife 75k

2 kids.

Any suggestions to grow further? Salary is going to be stuck at this level for a long time. Stock market too high. No money to pay 60% down payment for second property.

This seems to be the same problem many other middle income friends are stuck with.

Unregistered 02-04-2013 02:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 35147)
Me and wife, both 35

5 room flat: Owes bank 110k, currently valued around 600k
Cash: Combined 270k
Stocks: 130k, yields around 6k dividend a year
Car: Korean, fully paid, left 6 years of COE

Annual income: me, 100k, wife 75k

2 kids.

Any suggestions to grow further? Salary is going to be stuck at this level for a long time. Stock market too high. No money to pay 60% down payment for second property.

This seems to be the same problem many other middle income friends are stuck with.

Build a small online business, or go MBS and RWS! :D

Unregistered 02-04-2013 06:28 PM

Im graduating and starting a job soon (salary 3.6k)

Managed to save 9k in cash so far
And 6.5k in PM investment
CPF holds 9k in OA (worked part time during uni)

Outstanding loan 7k

Unregistered 03-05-2013 03:21 PM

me and wife, both 34 year old. wife not working.
renting 3 room HDB

cash in bank account: 120k
CPF: 30k
monthly salary: 5k

I know i am doing badly. any advice on how to maximise use of cash in bank? Thank you.

Unregistered 03-05-2013 05:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 36388)
me and wife, both 34 year old. wife not working.
renting 3 room HDB

cash in bank account: 120k
CPF: 30k
monthly salary: 5k

I know i am doing badly. any advice on how to maximise use of cash in bank? Thank you.

Try RWS or MBS. If not comfortable, try stocks or forex.

Unregistered 03-05-2013 11:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 36398)
Try RWS or MBS. If not comfortable, try stocks or forex.

thanks for your reply. I cannot do gambling. So that option is off.
Stocks and forex, i keep hearing about them. I cannot move around much can I do online?

Unregistered 20-06-2013 03:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 35039)
Age : late 30s.
Annual : 150K, wife not working, small family.
Cash : 400K
Stock: 100K
Car: Japanese Sedan, fully paid up.

5 room HDB, took up 30 years loan. I have enough in my CPF to repay loan but prefer to keep cash in CPF account.

Considered debt free. Job is stable and gets to spend time with family. Sure, lots of friends doing better, but why compare. Happy as it is.

I think you better pay off your HDB loan instead of stored on your CPF account. Don't need to pay interest rate anymore.

Unregistered 20-06-2013 04:44 PM

I think your family qualify under the low income group scheme. You should apply for HDB BTO and get many grants meant for low income household. You can buy a 3 room flat for $100k after grants. The government is helping many low income families. See your MP for help if necessary.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 36388)
me and wife, both 34 year old. wife not working.
renting 3 room HDB

cash in bank account: 120k
CPF: 30k
monthly salary: 5k

I know i am doing badly. any advice on how to maximise use of cash in bank? Thank you.



All times are GMT +8. The time now is 01:39 AM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.5
Copyright ©2000 - 2021, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.3.2