Salary.sg Forums

Salary.sg Forums (https://forums.salary.sg/)
-   Investments and Net Worth (https://forums.salary.sg/investments-net-worth/)
-   -   How much savings do you have? (https://forums.salary.sg/investments-net-worth/1199-how-much-savings-do-you-have.html)

Unregistered 14-11-2012 08:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 30256)
45, unemployed, ex-high flyer.

live in a condo, fully paid

what should i do? i dont want to go back to the nasty, hypocritical, corporate world.

what job should i do? taxi driver earning $7k pm or tuition teacher earning $10k pm, which is better, not only in monetary terms but also social standing? both are noble jobs.

Hmmm...interesting....you should have some valuable skills tuition is nt bad, pay it forward to the young gen...why be taxi driver ? $7k is not a steady figure as many cabbies responded

Unregistered 15-11-2012 06:26 AM

Quote:

what should i do? i dont want to go back to the nasty, hypocritical, corporate world.

what job should i do? taxi driver earning $7k pm or tuition teacher earning $10k pm, which is better, not only in monetary terms but also social standing? both are noble jobs.

Now is the opportunity for you to be your own boss.

I think tuition is the best since you are most likely to be highly educated. You can set up a tuition centre and eventually be a multi millionaire running a chain of tuition centers.

Go for it!

Unregistered 15-11-2012 08:15 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 30292)
I had 2X what you had at the same age, but how did SRS get to 250K? You would have contributed just about $130K if you've been contributing the maximum since the scheme was introduced. Have you been punting stocks with your SRS?

Where else can you gain double using SRS? Not rocket science.

Unregistered 19-11-2012 09:20 AM

This posting is rude but it is real. Landed property is the goal of every Singaporean who can afford it.

I am looking for a landed property somewhere in the Jurong Lake District. Upgrading from a condo. I'm targetting this inter-terrace at Westwood area asking for $2m. Hope to close at $1.9m. This is cheap as other places are selling above $3m.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 29095)
In Singapore, if you don't live in a private property, you are actually a nobody. That's a reality. Noone will tell you this in your face in the real world. We are now in an online forum so people will tell you the hard facts.

Those who live in hdb - nobody
Those who live in condo - almost there
Those who live in a landed property - you've arrived and indeed a somebody. Only 5% of Singaporeans live in a landed property

Work harder to be a somebody in your life

Unregistered 19-11-2012 03:10 PM

savings

You don't need savings to survive in singapore these days. Nowadays 1k can also buy a HDB flat. You can live very well in singapore without any savings or whatsoever. CPF help you to save so you can spend all your income and survive.

Unregistered 19-11-2012 04:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 30591)
This posting is rude but it is real. Landed property is the goal of every Singaporean who can afford it.

I am looking for a landed property somewhere in the Jurong Lake District. Upgrading from a condo. I'm targetting this inter-terrace at Westwood area asking for $2m. Hope to close at $1.9m. This is cheap as other places are selling above $3m.

not a good deal. i believe the landed property in Westwood is 99 year and not FH.

i would not advise anyone to purchase 99yr landed property, not even my worst enemy.

Unregistered 19-11-2012 05:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 30630)
not a good deal. i believe the landed property in Westwood is 99 year and not FH.

i would not advise anyone to purchase 99yr landed property, not even my worst enemy.

I disagree. It doesn't matter whether it is FH or 99 years. You see many 99 years LH selling at $3m, $4m and Sentosa $20m. The landed in Westwood is 99 years LH but with the Jurong Lake District development, prices will only go up.

Unregistered 19-11-2012 05:46 PM

Another sad case

Quote:

My 50+ yr old fren suffered a heart attack, spent a few weeks recuperating. Came back to work and not long after was retrenched. This after working for compnay for many years and often late into the night. Got housewife and young kid to feed. Luckily 5 room HDB already paid up. Thinking of selling off car, but family considered this as only luxury item left.

How to find another job at 50+ and somemore with a heart attack record?

Unregistered 19-11-2012 11:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 30632)
My 50+ yr old fren suffered a heart attack, spent a few weeks recuperating. Came back to work and not long after was retrenched. This after working for compnay for many years and often late into the night. Got housewife and young kid to feed. Luckily 5 room HDB already paid up. Thinking of selling off car, but family considered this as only luxury item left.

How to find another job at 50+ and somemore with a heart attack record?

Here's what he can do:

1. Sell his 5 room HDB flat at $600k and downgrade to a $300k 3 room flat, fully paid.
2. Use the $300k profit to buy a low risk government related bond, giving 3% per annum. This earns him $9k per year or $750 per month.
3. He works as a security guard, earning $1500 per month.
4. Wife works as dish washer earning $2000 per month.
5. Total income $4250.
6. Sell car, take bus. Saves $1000 plus per month.

Unregistered 21-11-2012 12:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 30631)
I disagree. It doesn't matter whether it is FH or 99 years. You see many 99 years LH selling at $3m, $4m and Sentosa $20m. The landed in Westwood is 99 years LH but with the Jurong Lake District development, prices will only go up.

sure Sean, if you say so. then might as well get the Semi-D (2173 sq feet land) for 1.8? much better value than the inter terrace (1615 sq feet land) isn't it?