Salary.sg Forums

Salary.sg Forums (https://forums.salary.sg/)
-   Investments and Net Worth (https://forums.salary.sg/investments-net-worth/)
-   -   How much savings do you have? (https://forums.salary.sg/investments-net-worth/1199-how-much-savings-do-you-have.html)

Unregistered 03-11-2012 10:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Wiseman1 (Post 29744)
What is the problem with making house buyers pay 100% cash for their 2nd or 3rd properties?? In other countries, it is unheard of for people to be holding so multiple mortgages all at the same time. It is basically courting the financial grave.

In fact, that is the only way to tame the current irrational demand for properties which contributed to the ever spiralling prices. If you cant afford to pay cash for investment properties, then you should not be buying in the first place. Dont pretend to be rich when you are not!!

Not point shouting.

I agree that this is prudent policy. All I'm saying is that this will NEVER happen because it will crash the market, and the govt does not want to do that - they want a soft landing not a crash.

You crash the market and your banks get in trouble and your citizens are not happy. You basically create the very problem which you are trying to avoid (a crash).

... and who's claiming to be rich ? I live in a 4 rm hdb, still paying my mortgage.

Unregistered 07-11-2012 10:11 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 16544)
After reading all these savings and assets you guys have, I've become depressed. Very depressed.

I'm in my late 20s and currently, i ONLY have ~$2k in my bank a/c. Zero assets.

i guess i have to sell my kidney. Interested?

Sigh...

Haiz me too. I am 29 and after reading all these, feel demoralised. no assets, no car, no hdb (currently staying with parents), don't own any designer bags or clothes. Savings at only 20k. And hate the aftermath feelings when i spent my savings on travels and food and left with little excess.

Unregistered 07-11-2012 06:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 29706)
Sigh. I don't know what is so difficult to understand.

Statistics 101. If you are in a closed system, like dealing cards, you can assign probabilities easily. But in an open system, there is no way to do so reliably. Assume Real Madrid plays Barcelona, and assume its an even match. If Messi, Barcelona's star gets injured, it is clear Real Madrid has the better odds, but can you reliably put a percentage to it? Now assume Xavi, the other Barcelona star gets injured, how much better does that make Real Madrid's odds?
?

actually i think they can calculate the ODDS. thats what singapore pools is doing. DOH.
but you make good points.

Unregistered 07-11-2012 06:50 PM

Landed property prices are moving up fast, esp those in the West region, the Jurong Lake District.

Only fools are in denial.

Unregistered 07-11-2012 10:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 29935)
actually i think they can calculate the ODDS. thats what singapore pools is doing. DOH.
but you make good points.

There's a slight difference. Those are betting odds not predictive odds.

What they do is to make certain assumptions in the absence of perfect information to come up with betting odds, not with the aim of predicting the outcome of the game, but for the aim of getting people to bet one way or another. Of course the odds must be reasonably fair such that you attract people to bet on both sides because you are basically aiming to make the spread, and not take a position either way.

And if you get more people on one side, you adjust the odds so that you get back to a riskless position.

So it's possible to come up with odds but if you are looking for reliably predictive odds, I maintain its not possible for open ended systems.

If you're looking for other examples, you can just go and pick up the economic forecasts from 20 banks over the past 10 yrs and compare their forecasts to the actual data numbers. Or pick up equity research reports for for com companies in the 90s.

Unregistered 08-11-2012 04:15 PM

not this calculate odd nonsense again, you either know where the market is going or you don't. you and the other guy write so much & in the end still nothing at all.

if you know, tell us what will happen and we see later if you are right. if dont know say dont know. dont try and confuse the issue by using all this boliao words, what open system close sytem predictive odd betting odd riskless position bla bla. first time i see people buy property buy until so many things to think about and still no answer on market going up or down.

all talk no action.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 29942)
There's a slight difference. Those are betting odds not predictive odds.

What they do is to make certain assumptions in the absence of perfect information to come up with betting odds, not with the aim of predicting the outcome of the game, but for the aim of getting people to bet one way or another. Of course the odds must be reasonably fair such that you attract people to bet on both sides because you are basically aiming to make the spread, and not take a position either way.

And if you get more people on one side, you adjust the odds so that you get back to a riskless position.

So it's possible to come up with odds but if you are looking for reliably predictive odds, I maintain its not possible for open ended systems.

If you're looking for other examples, you can just go and pick up the economic forecasts from 20 banks over the past 10 yrs and compare their forecasts to the actual data numbers. Or pick up equity research reports for for com companies in the 90s.

Unregistered 08-11-2012 04:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 29965)
not this calculate odd nonsense again, you either know where the market is going or you don't. you and the other guy write so much & in the end still nothing at all.

if you know, tell us what will happen and we see later if you are right. if dont know say dont know. dont try and confuse the issue by using all this boliao words, what open system close sytem predictive odd betting odd riskless position bla bla. first time i see people buy property buy until so many things to think about and still no answer on market going up or down.

all talk no action.

The above 2 quarrelling poster is classic. Write so many wot pages then say:

Poster 1 – No opinion on property market
Poster 2 – Odds are maybe property will go down

If really into property investing, they will be at showrooms and project launches liao, where got waste time in a forum quarrelling over unrelated things like betting odds.

Unregistered 10-11-2012 08:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 29965)

all talk no action.

Aiyoh I read the above post buah tahan.

You obviously have reading problems man. My grandma also can tell the earlier poster thinks property prices will go down **slaps head**

He write so many post u still don't get it

Unregistered 11-11-2012 01:07 AM

Omg. everyone seems so rich
My parents:
cash: 2-3k i guess
stock:maybe 1k
i thought we belonged to low income. I guess should be lower-low income

Unregistered 11-11-2012 02:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 30125)
Omg. everyone seems so rich
My parents:
cash: 2-3k i guess
stock:maybe 1k
i thought we belonged to low income. I guess should be lower-low income

i think you're below poverty line. just saying.

work hard and do your parents proud.