How much savings do you have? - Page 14 - Salary.sg Forums
Salary.sg Forums  

Go Back   Salary.sg Forums > The Salary.sg Discussion Forums: > Investments and Net Worth

Investments and Net Worth Talk all about money making exploits, shares, property and building net worth




How much savings do you have?

Reply
 
Thread Tools
  #131 (permalink)  
Old 22-09-2011, 10:54 PM
Unregistered
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by MeePokMan View Post
Hi, I am posting anonymously but I would like any constructive advice from any of you, not necessarily in financial planning. I will appreciate a tip or two from men around my age or older on how to manage my life from this point onwards. My wife and I are in our mid 40s.

Assets
- 3 private properties (includes the one we live in) worth about $4.5M, 2 totally paid up and one with a $1M mortgage outstanding
- $1M in the bank and some stocks
- 2 simple cars with no or minimal loans
- Nett business income $1M-$1.5M a year after tax
- 2 boys still in primary school, doing above average - I would like to send them abroad to study mainly for the more global exposure

We have no expensive hobbies, no parties or horse riding or watches or wines. We eat mostly at home or at coffeeshops and sometimes at a cafe. Almost no one knows how much we make because we dress very simply and do not talk about money very much.

If you are posting in response to me, please address your post to MeePokMan.

Grateful for your time. : )
Your wealth and income are far above that tolerated by many members of this forum. You will likely trigger the following
1. Someone will post to express disbelief.
2. Someone will tell you that a multi-millionaire like you should not be visiting this forum because you have to attend to your expensive hobbies, parties, ride horses, buy watches or wines 24/7.
3. Someone with the nickname "Bill Gates" or "Sultan of Brunei" or "Orang Utan" will soon appear to tell you that he earns billions.

Reply With Quote
  #132 (permalink)  
Old 22-09-2011, 11:41 PM
Unregistered
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default Char Kway Tiao Girl

Quote:
Originally Posted by MeePokMan View Post
Hi, I am posting anonymously but I would like any constructive advice from any of you, not necessarily in financial planning. I will appreciate a tip or two from men around my age or older on how to manage my life from this point onwards. My wife and I are in our mid 40s.

Assets
- 3 private properties (includes the one we live in) worth about $4.5M, 2 totally paid up and one with a $1M mortgage outstanding
- $1M in the bank and some stocks
- 2 simple cars with no or minimal loans
- Nett business income $1M-$1.5M a year after tax
- 2 boys still in primary school, doing above average - I would like to send them abroad to study mainly for the more global exposure

We have no expensive hobbies, no parties or horse riding or watches or wines. We eat mostly at home or at coffeeshops and sometimes at a cafe. Almost no one knows how much we make because we dress very simply and do not talk about money very much.

If you are posting in response to me, please address your post to MeePokMan.

Grateful for your time. : )

You are doing so well and need advice from commoners here??

Most of the readers here would probably envy and seeking advice on what business that you are in.

Setting up Mee Pok Chain?

Reply With Quote
  #133 (permalink)  
Old 23-09-2011, 03:27 AM
Unregistered
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unregistered View Post
You are doing so well and need advice from commoners here??

Most of the readers here would probably envy and seeking advice on what business that you are in.

Setting up Mee Pok Chain?
Mr Mee Pok,

I think you should get professional advice.

Reply With Quote
  #134 (permalink)  
Old 23-09-2011, 04:23 AM
Unregistered
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by MeePokMan View Post
Hi, I am posting anonymously but I would like any constructive advice from any of you, not necessarily in financial planning. I will appreciate a tip or two from men around my age or older on how to manage my life from this point onwards. My wife and I are in our mid 40s.

Assets
- 3 private properties (includes the one we live in) worth about $4.5M, 2 totally paid up and one with a $1M mortgage outstanding
- $1M in the bank and some stocks
- 2 simple cars with no or minimal loans
- Nett business income $1M-$1.5M a year after tax
- 2 boys still in primary school, doing above average - I would like to send them abroad to study mainly for the more global exposure

We have no expensive hobbies, no parties or horse riding or watches or wines. We eat mostly at home or at coffeeshops and sometimes at a cafe. Almost no one knows how much we make because we dress very simply and do not talk about money very much.

If you are posting in response to me, please address your post to MeePokMan.

Grateful for your time. : )
You don't need any financial planning advice from mere mortals here. You can afford to lose your entire savings and in 1 year you'll still make more than what commoners can't make in their entire lives.

Why don't you share a bit on how you made it rich.
Reply With Quote
  #135 (permalink)  
Old 23-09-2011, 02:02 PM
Unregistered
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unregistered View Post
Your wealth and income are far above that tolerated by many members of this forum. You will likely trigger the following
1. Someone will post to express disbelief.
2. Someone will tell you that a multi-millionaire like you should not be visiting this forum because you have to attend to your expensive hobbies, parties, ride horses, buy watches or wines 24/7.
3. Someone with the nickname "Bill Gates" or "Sultan of Brunei" or "Orang Utan" will soon appear to tell you that he earns billions.
Hi friend, thanks for your post. Yes, I have considered the possible types of responses but I believe there are men out there doing considerably better than me. They are the ones I would like to learn a lesson or two from. Not about making more money, but how to live meaningfully, and to use my resources as a tool for good. To those who wish to make negative remarks, I cannot stop you but maybe you will do well too and someday find yourselves in my shoes.
Reply With Quote
  #136 (permalink)  
Old 23-09-2011, 02:04 PM
MeePokMan
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unregistered View Post
Mr Mee Pok,

I think you should get professional advice.
Hi, thanks for the reply. I generally mistrust bankers and moneymen including insurance people because they keep trying to sell products. But I will keep that in mind.
Reply With Quote

  #137 (permalink)  
Old 23-09-2011, 02:10 PM
MeePokMan
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unregistered View Post
You are doing so well and need advice from commoners here??

Most of the readers here would probably envy and seeking advice on what business that you are in.

Setting up Mee Pok Chain?
Hi Char Kway Tiao Girl, I am sorry if I have stirred up feelings of envy. That was never my intention. But envy exists, and we all have to live with it. I sometimes envy others in my social circle too. There are those who are doing even better or have smarter kids or happier. I am also a commoner. You will not be able to tell me apart from another guy at the wet market or the coffee shop.

I cannot reveal which business I am in. Singapore is a very small place and people in the same industry know one another. I hope you understand. I do not sell mee pok. But I do enjoy eating it. : )
Reply With Quote
  #138 (permalink)  
Old 23-09-2011, 02:22 PM
MeePokMan
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unregistered View Post
You don't need any financial planning advice from mere mortals here. You can afford to lose your entire savings and in 1 year you'll still make more than what commoners can't make in their entire lives.

Why don't you share a bit on how you made it rich.
Hi, I am just a mere mortal like everyone else. And I am not looking for financial planning advice, but more on how to live wisely and in a meaningful way. My savings and business earnings were accumulated over the years and not a windfall. So I do not spend as if I had just hit toto.
Reply With Quote
  #139 (permalink)  
Old 23-09-2011, 05:01 PM
Unregistered
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by MeePokMan View Post
Hi, I am just a mere mortal like everyone else. And I am not looking for financial planning advice, but more on how to live wisely and in a meaningful way. My savings and business earnings were accumulated over the years and not a windfall. So I do not spend as if I had just hit toto.
Hi MeePokMan,

I think you can live wisely by having your favourite Mee Pok.

It would be meaningful to share part of your fortune to those misfortune.

And if you have accumulated enough passive income, try to volunteer and help out those unfortunate.

Believe your life would be much fulfiling when you share and care. But first take care of your immediate family, then try to achieve little by little in giving.
Reply With Quote
  #140 (permalink)  
Old 23-09-2011, 11:01 PM
Unregistered
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by MeePokMan View Post
Hi Char Kway Tiao Girl, I am sorry if I have stirred up feelings of envy. That was never my intention. But envy exists, and we all have to live with it. I sometimes envy others in my social circle too. There are those who are doing even better or have smarter kids or happier. I am also a commoner. You will not be able to tell me apart from another guy at the wet market or the coffee shop.

I cannot reveal which business I am in. Singapore is a very small place and people in the same industry know one another. I hope you understand. I do not sell mee pok. But I do enjoy eating it. : )
Even if you can't reveal your line of business, could you share your experience on how you got started? Did you quit a comfortable job to plunge head-on into the wilderness of business? Where did you pick up the know-how? Did some mentor guide you along?

We've heard too many stories about the common salaryman, and yearn to hear more about genuine business upstarts.
Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks

Tags
condo, cpf, house, retirement, savings, shares, stocks

« Previous Thread | Next Thread »
Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Not enough savings for retirement Salary.sg Investments and Net Worth 0 14-05-2007 07:59 PM

» 30 Recent Threads
Q: Big4 - Yearly salary increment ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
14,626 Replies, 4,832,277 Views
Factual Local Bank Salaries - DBS... ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
1,725 Replies, 1,339,729 Views
MINDEF DXO (All FAQ on it) ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
5,776 Replies, 4,563,087 Views
LTA (Land Transport Authority) ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
609 Replies, 357,431 Views
Roles in accenture singapore ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
7,063 Replies, 2,232,852 Views
How is life as a doctor in... ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
7,174 Replies, 3,310,236 Views
MAS for Mid Career Professionals ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
1,745 Replies, 1,006,478 Views
Singapore Airlines ( 1 2)
17 Replies, 9,009 Views
MOT (Ministry of Transport)
5 Replies, 5,510 Views
IBM salaries ( 1 2)
16 Replies, 7,576 Views
DBS tech seed programme ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
3,745 Replies, 1,467,019 Views
Lawyer Salary ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
20,864 Replies, 10,157,033 Views
Jobs with travel opportunities
7 Replies, 3,593 Views
HTX (Home Team Science and... ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
618 Replies, 315,553 Views
GovTech ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
4,960 Replies, 2,084,454 Views
Career as Teacher ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
10,208 Replies, 6,358,992 Views
Work culture in IHiS ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
700 Replies, 519,762 Views
Compilation of MAs/Analysts Gross... ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
1,262 Replies, 697,196 Views
UOB Management Associate Program ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
1,264 Replies, 735,451 Views
Compare civil service salary ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
16,235 Replies, 12,262,915 Views
Enterprise Singapore hiriing... ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
180 Replies, 221,752 Views
Civil Svc/ Statboard - Typical... ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
6,066 Replies, 3,664,978 Views
ITE (lecturer) ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
275 Replies, 377,461 Views
Civil Service Performance Bonus ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
4,983 Replies, 4,498,210 Views
Anyone work in JPM/GS/Morgan... ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
413 Replies, 155,094 Views
ST Electronics ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
3,638 Replies, 1,487,539 Views
Salary ranges in Big Tech in...
0 Replies, 316 Views
Micron starting pay ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
701 Replies, 384,332 Views
Powered by vBadvanced CMPS v3.2.2



All times are GMT +8. The time now is 12:29 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.5
Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.3.2