Salary.sg Forums

Salary.sg Forums (https://forums.salary.sg/)
-   Investments and Net Worth (https://forums.salary.sg/investments-net-worth/)
-   -   How much savings do you have? (https://forums.salary.sg/investments-net-worth/1199-how-much-savings-do-you-have.html)

Unregistered 04-02-2016 08:01 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 79291)
Are you looking for a right partner? I thought you prefer sibglehood?

Hmmm, U have to be aware of which unregistered one is who-most of us are unregistered. This one different from the one choosing singlehood

Unregistered 04-02-2016 12:03 PM

My spouse and I are in our late forties. Our household income $152k pa. Our expenditure $120k pa. We stay in a condo, now worth $1m with an outstanding loan of $200k. We will clear our property loan in 10 years time. Our car is 2 years old, paid up. Our combined household net worth $1.2m.

Besides CPF Life, we do not have any other preparations for retirement. What should we do so that we can retire comfortably? We do not want to sell our condo to downgrade as we love our area.

Unregistered 04-02-2016 01:25 PM

Taking into account your age and retirement age, you have 15+/- years of economic earnings. Save regularly 50k per year into non conventional (but well protected) investments and you should get a cozy sum on retirement. Ask me if you are keen in my kind of investment and I am most open to share/ link you up with my consultant. (I won't share details as I am aware n mindful of skeptical or conservative mindset/savers here-I respect, to each their preference). I have ruled out properties for you because of the continuing mortgage possibly after your retirement unless you have good amount of reserves for payment. If you do not have the time, stocks are better left to the professionals doing what they do best - like me -leaving them to my remisier cousin.
All the best
Julie

Unregistered 04-02-2016 03:08 PM

Are u sure he can save $50k per year?

Unregistered 04-02-2016 03:37 PM

Well, 32k/year decent sum too, if not 50k.
Julie

Unregistered 06-02-2016 12:18 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 79315)
Well, 32k/year decent sum too, if not 50k.
Julie

2% FD the way to go. Bao jiak.

Unregistered 09-02-2016 06:16 PM

Car dealers report surge in sales after COE prices drop

By Olivia Siong, Channel NewsAsia
07 Feb 2016

In particular, some have seen bookings for larger Category B cars triple as premiums in the category dipped to a six-year low.

SINGAPORE: Car dealers say they have seen a surge in sales since Certificate of Entitlement (COE) prices fell in the last bidding exercise on Wednesday (Feb 3). In particular, some have seen bookings for larger Category B cars triple as premiums in the category dipped to a six-year low.

Toyota agent Borneo Motors had planned to close for Chinese New Year on Saturday, but decided against it amid strong demand from customers. Many were also seen shopping for a good deal when Channel NewsAsia visited the Hyundai and Nissan showrooms.

"I wanted to buy another five years of COE for my car which expires in March," said one Kim Yeo. "But when I heard about the drop, I decided to come down and see if I could get a new car."

Another, Mr Peter Scully said: "The car that we own is reaching its 10-year mark. When you have to buy a car and it's cheaper, it's a bigger motivation. It maybe forces us to want to make a decision faster because it's cheaper."

All three dealerships said they have seen an increase in sales. Hyundai agent Komoco Motors saw overall bookings go up by 50 per cent, while Nissan dealer Tan Chong Motors said overall sales have tripled. Both also recorded three times the number of bookings for larger Category B cars.

In the last exercise, premiums in Category B dipped by 22.9 per cent, falling by more than S$11,000 to S$38,600 - its lowest since July 2010.

That is even lower than Category A premiums for smaller cars, which fell by 9 per cent to S$46,700.

The last COE bidding exercise on Wednesday was the first for the February to April quarter which has more COEs on offer compared to the previous three months. But while COE premiums may be down across the board, industry experts have said that such prices are unsustainable and may see a rebound in subsequent exercises.

That is also why car prices have not fallen in tandem with COEs. Category B car prices have been adjusted downwards by between S$5,000 and $10,000 among dealers we checked with.

"I'm looking at an MPV because we have a growing family," said Ms Eileen Fu. "Now we can get a Cat B car, which has a bigger capacity and engine plus more power. It's a lot better than what we could afford half a year ago, which was a smaller car."

Another buyer, Sharong Ng said: "Cat B has dropped so much, so unless Cat A drops then I will consider Cat A. But for now it seems Cat B is a better deal."

However, there are some car-buyers who are not rushing in just yet.

"For me it's not necessary a Cat B, a small cc is good enough," said a Woo Keng Fie. "If you buy a two-litre car, the consumption is definitely higher and you have to pay more road tax."

Ms Elaine Samboo said she would "wait and see": "I'm keeping my fingers crossed that the COE prices will dip like before, when I only had to pay S$200 for COE. (If that happens,) I might just get my car."

The next COE bidding exercise will be in the third week of February.

Unregistered 09-02-2016 06:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 79559)
Car dealers report surge in sales after COE prices drop

By Olivia Siong, Channel NewsAsia
07 Feb 2016

In particular, some have seen bookings for larger Category B cars triple as premiums in the category dipped to a six-year low.

SINGAPORE: Car dealers say they have seen a surge in sales since Certificate of Entitlement (COE) prices fell in the last bidding exercise on Wednesday (Feb 3). In particular, some have seen bookings for larger Category B cars triple as premiums in the category dipped to a six-year low.

Toyota agent Borneo Motors had planned to close for Chinese New Year on Saturday, but decided against it amid strong demand from customers. Many were also seen shopping for a good deal when Channel NewsAsia visited the Hyundai and Nissan showrooms.

"I wanted to buy another five years of COE for my car which expires in March," said one Kim Yeo. "But when I heard about the drop, I decided to come down and see if I could get a new car."

Another, Mr Peter Scully said: "The car that we own is reaching its 10-year mark. When you have to buy a car and it's cheaper, it's a bigger motivation. It maybe forces us to want to make a decision faster because it's cheaper."

All three dealerships said they have seen an increase in sales. Hyundai agent Komoco Motors saw overall bookings go up by 50 per cent, while Nissan dealer Tan Chong Motors said overall sales have tripled. Both also recorded three times the number of bookings for larger Category B cars.

In the last exercise, premiums in Category B dipped by 22.9 per cent, falling by more than S$11,000 to S$38,600 - its lowest since July 2010.

That is even lower than Category A premiums for smaller cars, which fell by 9 per cent to S$46,700.

The last COE bidding exercise on Wednesday was the first for the February to April quarter which has more COEs on offer compared to the previous three months. But while COE premiums may be down across the board, industry experts have said that such prices are unsustainable and may see a rebound in subsequent exercises.

That is also why car prices have not fallen in tandem with COEs. Category B car prices have been adjusted downwards by between S$5,000 and $10,000 among dealers we checked with.

"I'm looking at an MPV because we have a growing family," said Ms Eileen Fu. "Now we can get a Cat B car, which has a bigger capacity and engine plus more power. It's a lot better than what we could afford half a year ago, which was a smaller car."

Another buyer, Sharong Ng said: "Cat B has dropped so much, so unless Cat A drops then I will consider Cat A. But for now it seems Cat B is a better deal."

However, there are some car-buyers who are not rushing in just yet.

"For me it's not necessary a Cat B, a small cc is good enough," said a Woo Keng Fie. "If you buy a two-litre car, the consumption is definitely higher and you have to pay more road tax."

Ms Elaine Samboo said she would "wait and see": "I'm keeping my fingers crossed that the COE prices will dip like before, when I only had to pay S$200 for COE. (If that happens,) I might just get my car."

The next COE bidding exercise will be in the third week of February.

Stopped reading at car dealers.

Unregistered 09-02-2016 07:52 PM

Totally irrelevant to subject matter here😬

Unregistered 11-02-2016 02:58 PM

Don't worry.

For those retrenched ex-PMETs out there, such as ex-engineers and ex-bankers, do not be sad. Instead of worrying so much, you can just retire assuming you no longer have any dependents at age 55.

Good retirement plan in KL or Penang for a 55 years old retired couple.

Passive income
Rent out fully paid HDB flat S$2.5k pm or RM7.5k pm

KL or Penang cost of living
Rent a 2 bedroom condominium RM1.5k pm
Car expenses RM500 pm (assume buy used car in cash RM30k)
Food, groceries and utilities RM1.5k pm
Misc RM1k pm
Total spending RM4.5k pm
Savings RM3k pm

This retirement plan allows you to live in a condo and drive a car.

Your key retirement asset: HDB flat (we are very fortunate since we all get to buy cheap BTO HDB flats when we got married)