What house should I buy after selling my small condo? - Salary.sg Forums
Salary.sg Forums  

Go Back   Salary.sg Forums > The Salary.sg Discussion Forums: > Investments and Net Worth

Investments and Net Worth Talk all about money making exploits, shares, property, building net worth and retirement matters




What house should I buy after selling my small condo?

 Citibank Cash Back Card - up to $350 cash back* - Click to Apply Now 
Reply
 
Thread Tools
  #1 (permalink)  
Old 06-11-2018, 01:45 AM
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2015
Posts: 37
tchen003 is on a distinguished road
Default What house should I buy after selling my small condo?

I am a 26 year guy who has been working for 2 years after uni. I bought a small condo early this year (parents help+my saving) and currently paying mortgage on my own.

I am planning to move out this condo in 6 year time (year 2024). Reason is: I may have a family (with kid) at that time. A small condo may not be enough.

In order to buy a bigger place, I cant buy BTO or first-hand EC because HDB authoity request applicant no owning priate property or property trading within the last 30 month.

Some options in my mind that need your advice:

Option 1: we (me and future wife) buy a bigger condo under wife name without selling this small condo.

Option 2: sell this condo and buy a bigger resale HDB. Any money left invest into stock,bond, REIT, etc to generate a 4-6% annual return.

Option 3: sell this condo and buy a bigger resale condo.

My personal view:
Option 1 is good. We could own 2 properties with low stamp duty tax. Whats more we could use small condo to rent. However, we may not have enough saving for the heavy downpayment without selling small condo (estimate 500k sgd at least)

Option 2: imagine I sell this condo at 900k sgd and pay the remaining mortage of 500k sgd. i could have 400k spare cash(I paid my mortage using cash). Using 100k for HDB, remaining 300k sgd go to investment. But hdb doesnít retain value.

Option 3: similar to option 2, but all 400k spare cash may need be used as downpayment. I donít favor this option personally.

What do you think?

Reply With Quote
  #2 (permalink)  
Old 06-11-2018, 08:19 AM
Unregistered
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by tchen003 View Post
I am a 26 year guy who has been working for 2 years after uni. I bought a small condo early this year (parents help+my saving) and currently paying mortgage on my own.

I am planning to move out this condo in 6 year time (year 2024). Reason is: I may have a family (with kid) at that time. A small condo may not be enough.

In order to buy a bigger place, I cant buy BTO or first-hand EC because HDB authoity request applicant no owning priate property or property trading within the last 30 month.

Some options in my mind that need your advice:

Option 1: we (me and future wife) buy a bigger condo under wife name without selling this small condo.

Option 2: sell this condo and buy a bigger resale HDB. Any money left invest into stock,bond, REIT, etc to generate a 4-6% annual return.

Option 3: sell this condo and buy a bigger resale condo.

My personal view:
Option 1 is good. We could own 2 properties with low stamp duty tax. Whats more we could use small condo to rent. However, we may not have enough saving for the heavy downpayment without selling small condo (estimate 500k sgd at least)

Option 2: imagine I sell this condo at 900k sgd and pay the remaining mortage of 500k sgd. i could have 400k spare cash(I paid my mortage using cash). Using 100k for HDB, remaining 300k sgd go to investment. But hdb doesnít retain value.

Option 3: similar to option 2, but all 400k spare cash may need be used as downpayment. I donít favor this option personally.

What do you think?
I am in a similar situation as you. My condo will be ready in 3 years time.

My plan is to stay in this condo whether I get married or not by then. If any kids come along the way, I will get a bigger new condo.

There are other considerations you should consider to make the decision.

For me these include central location of the house and living near parents. I don't intend to own a car.

Dont be overly concerned about housing as marriage is not certain as of now. The govenment also makes constant housing or property policy changes. You can just make the decision when things are more firmed up.

Reply With Quote
  #3 (permalink)  
Old 07-11-2018, 08:45 AM
Unregistered
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default

Option 2 would be my choice


Quote:
Originally Posted by tchen003 View Post
I am a 26 year guy who has been working for 2 years after uni. I bought a small condo early this year (parents help+my saving) and currently paying mortgage on my own.

I am planning to move out this condo in 6 year time (year 2024). Reason is: I may have a family (with kid) at that time. A small condo may not be enough.

In order to buy a bigger place, I cant buy BTO or first-hand EC because HDB authoity request applicant no owning priate property or property trading within the last 30 month.

Some options in my mind that need your advice:

Option 1: we (me and future wife) buy a bigger condo under wife name without selling this small condo.

Option 2: sell this condo and buy a bigger resale HDB. Any money left invest into stock,bond, REIT, etc to generate a 4-6% annual return.

Option 3: sell this condo and buy a bigger resale condo.

My personal view:
Option 1 is good. We could own 2 properties with low stamp duty tax. Whats more we could use small condo to rent. However, we may not have enough saving for the heavy downpayment without selling small condo (estimate 500k sgd at least)

Option 2: imagine I sell this condo at 900k sgd and pay the remaining mortage of 500k sgd. i could have 400k spare cash(I paid my mortage using cash). Using 100k for HDB, remaining 300k sgd go to investment. But hdb doesnít retain value.

Option 3: similar to option 2, but all 400k spare cash may need be used as downpayment. I donít favor this option personally.

What do you think?

Reply With Quote
  #4 (permalink)  
Old 07-11-2018, 11:22 AM
Unregistered
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default

Option 1 and 3 is out. More debt n uncertain future will make life edgy for you. Your health and mental state may suffer. Option 2 is best. Go for bto. I'm already sitting on paper gain of more than half a million, of course these days u wont see such a high quantum. But u never know.
Reply With Quote
  #5 (permalink)  
Old 07-11-2018, 01:15 PM
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2015
Posts: 37
tchen003 is on a distinguished road
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unregistered View Post
Option 2 would be my choice
Thanks for ur input
Reply With Quote
  #6 (permalink)  
Old 07-11-2018, 01:17 PM
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2015
Posts: 37
tchen003 is on a distinguished road
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unregistered View Post
Option 1 and 3 is out. More debt n uncertain future will make life edgy for you. Your health and mental state may suffer. Option 2 is best. Go for bto. I'm already sitting on paper gain of more than half a million, of course these days u wont see such a high quantum. But u never know.
Thanks.

I guess I cant go for bto given tat I must not have owned condo or transact condo within last 30 months.

Guess resale hdb maybe a choice though value not retained..
Reply With Quote

  #7 (permalink)  
Old 08-11-2018, 12:33 AM
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2018
Posts: 2
Mentos is on a distinguished road
Default

What if there is option number 4? Why don't you rent your condo and buy bigger property in Singapore? Like this you have extra money to pay for your loan and you still have 2 properties at the end of the day... What do you think?
Reply With Quote
  #8 (permalink)  
Old 08-11-2018, 12:46 AM
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2015
Posts: 37
tchen003 is on a distinguished road
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mentos View Post
What if there is option number 4? Why don't you rent your condo and buy bigger property in Singapore? Like this you have extra money to pay for your loan and you still have 2 properties at the end of the day... What do you think?
Thanks. This is my option 1 actually.

Detail plan:
year 2018: my small condo worth 750k, my housing loan 600k
year 2024: my small condo worth 900k (assume only), my housing loan 500k.

If I take home equity loan, which is 80% of market price-existing loan-CPF used for payment, I can cash out 900kx80%-500k=220k.

Together with my future wife, we might probably afford downpayment of 500k for a 3rm new condo in OCR area.

But the catch is: we will be on debit of 1.2million....for 30 years......
Reply With Quote
  #9 (permalink)  
Old 08-11-2018, 08:15 AM
Unregistered
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default

Ask yourself these questions:

1. Are you in a secure job, ie do you see career longevity in your current job?
2. Will you be able handle a financial emergency? Such as expensive medical emergency? This requires at least 6 months of salary on standby all the time.
3. If you own 2 properties and have to handle two housing loans or even just one big loan, will you be able to hack the monthly mortgage payment if there is no rental income for an extended period of time say 2 to 6 months?
4. Will you be ale to handle the mortgage payment on a single salary should your wife decides to take a break to look after your kids?


I am putting out these questions because I have walked the path before, and survived! My wife and I have 2 properties after 10 years of our marriage till today - different properties but always 2. One to stay, one to earn rental.

By the way, we dare go into this because we are both civil servants and already worked 35 years!

Quote:
Originally Posted by tchen003 View Post
Thanks. This is my option 1 actually.

Detail plan:
year 2018: my small condo worth 750k, my housing loan 600k
year 2024: my small condo worth 900k (assume only), my housing loan 500k.

If I take home equity loan, which is 80% of market price-existing loan-CPF used for payment, I can cash out 900kx80%-500k=220k.

Together with my future wife, we might probably afford downpayment of 500k for a 3rm new condo in OCR area.

But the catch is: we will be on debit of 1.2million....for 30 years......
Reply With Quote
  #10 (permalink)  
Old 08-11-2018, 04:36 PM
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2015
Posts: 37
tchen003 is on a distinguished road
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unregistered View Post
Ask yourself these questions:

1. Are you in a secure job, ie do you see career longevity in your current job?
2. Will you be able handle a financial emergency? Such as expensive medical emergency? This requires at least 6 months of salary on standby all the time.
3. If you own 2 properties and have to handle two housing loans or even just one big loan, will you be able to hack the monthly mortgage payment if there is no rental income for an extended period of time say 2 to 6 months?
4. Will you be ale to handle the mortgage payment on a single salary should your wife decides to take a break to look after your kids?


I am putting out these questions because I have walked the path before, and survived! My wife and I have 2 properties after 10 years of our marriage till today - different properties but always 2. One to stay, one to earn rental.

By the way, we dare go into this because we are both civil servants and already worked 35 years!
That's really useful advice from the experienced. Thanks!!!

I will talk about numbers based on estimation:

Year 2024, I cash out 220k SGD from my 900k SGD small condo. This loan is 30 year tenure at interest rate 2% pa. Therefore, monthly mortgage is 739 SGD.

Year 2024, we buy a 3rm condo in OCR at 1.5 million price under my wife name. [email protected]%=375k. [email protected] ONLY (assume wife Singaporean, no property under her name) = 44600, miscellaneous fee (legal, etc) =10k. Total estimate 430k SGD. Loan 1.125million for 30 year tenure at interest rate 2%pa. Therefore monthly mortage is 4158 SGD.

Total monthly mortage = 739+4158=4897 SGD or 5000 SGD to be safe. The small condo can rent out at 2000 SGD per month.
Our monthly salary should be above 12k SGD/per month in year 2024.

So back to your questions:

Q1: I work as IT support in banks. It's a relative more stable job compare to traders or dealers. However I havent finalized my career path yet.

Q2:I have ISP, Rider, ECI (multiple) to support me in case of illness. However I dun have emergency fund now.

Q3: Given my family monthly income at at least 12k per month with 5k monthly mortage, I think it's a bit challenging and need careful planning.

Q4: If wife stay at home. Very challenging for me given that my salary need go to kid, parent, mortage, family and probably myself. Unless I can earn 12k per month in 2024


SG Bus Timing App
SG Bus Timing App - the best bus app - available on iPhone


SGX Stocks Android App - check share prices
SGX Stocks [Android] App - check latest share prices on the go


SGX Stocks for iPad - check latest Singapore share prices
SGX Stocks [iPad] app
| SGX Stocks [iPhone] app
Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks

Tags
condo for investment, hdb flat, investment, loan, propery investment

« Previous Thread | Next Thread »
Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Top Selling Executive Condo Ė Sol Acres | 61001778 PropertySalesSG General Discussions 0 27-01-2017 03:43 PM
Lakeville - Singapore condo in the upcoming Biz District selling at super affordable newsgprop Marketplace and Find Work 0 08-11-2014 05:39 PM
Lakeville - Singapore condo in the upcoming Biz District selling at super affordable newsgprop General Discussions 0 08-11-2014 05:38 PM
Small companies that pay well? oldbird Income and Jobs 11 09-10-2013 01:19 PM
Small Businesses qoolbox Investments and Net Worth 1 07-09-2011 04:23 PM

» 30 Recent Threads
Submitting My Resume To ST... ( 1 2)
17 Replies, 21,888 Views
Compare civil service salary ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
10,095 Replies, 5,578,324 Views
DBS Management Associate Program... ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
1,757 Replies, 269,403 Views
ST Electronics ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
669 Replies, 210,385 Views
Please Share DBS Average Months... ( 1 2)
14 Replies, 2,800 Views
Sharing my Passive and Active...
2 Replies, 353 Views
Lawyer Salary ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
7,557 Replies, 2,599,638 Views
Feeling helpless, need advice...
8 Replies, 553 Views
where can i buy nintendo stock?
6 Replies, 3,318 Views
Roles in accenture singapore ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
376 Replies, 250,292 Views
[advice] Recruitment agency... ( 1 2)
15 Replies, 1,884 Views
HR Career advice
3 Replies, 1,400 Views
Anyone being hired during covid... ( 1 2)
15 Replies, 829 Views
Anyone jobless for a long time... ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
2,910 Replies, 1,083,507 Views
Civil Svc/ Statboard - Typical... ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
2,185 Replies, 968,379 Views
How much do you earn and save? ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
98 Replies, 12,724 Views
anyone working at NCS ? ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
387 Replies, 286,769 Views
High Finance Thread ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
89 Replies, 15,390 Views
Queries about Cpib application ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
1,089 Replies, 499,336 Views
Can share your your car...
2 Replies, 194 Views
Pay for digital marketing agencies
7 Replies, 2,124 Views
Any Kaplan students here can land... ( 1 2)
14 Replies, 1,031 Views
How is life as a doctor in... ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
1,291 Replies, 906,702 Views
Sign On After 30? ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
33 Replies, 2,849 Views
Android, iPhone and iPad Apps For...
2 Replies, 2,367 Views
What's the graduate officer... ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
53 Replies, 12,772 Views
Whats your net worth ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
2,728 Replies, 796,995 Views
MINDEF DXO (All FAQ on it) ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
3,292 Replies, 1,904,689 Views
Powered by vBadvanced CMPS v3.2.2



All times are GMT +8. The time now is 09:28 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.5
Copyright ©2000 - 2020, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.3.2