Salary.sg Forums

Salary.sg Forums (https://forums.salary.sg/)
-   Income and Jobs (https://forums.salary.sg/income-jobs/)
-   -   Stagnant with no opportunities (https://forums.salary.sg/income-jobs/965-stagnant-no-opportunities.html)

quik00 27-07-2010 04:48 PM

Stagnant with no opportunities

i'm 28 years of age in my 3rd year of employment in a small consulting company, with a pretty decent pay at $6k/mth. i don't see myself progressing, not in the nature of the work i'm doing nor the opportunities that the company is able to provide.

i see co-workers of the same rank leaving and achieving something higher (as what i perceived eg. working in bigger renowned corporations therefore higher chances of progression), while i'm still stuck here desperately searching for better opportunities every single day.

i was given a few chances at interviews for potentially exciting & fulfilling careers but i messed up each time. i felt i wasn't able to portray myself expressively/favourably in front of the interviewers to the point that i doubt i'll ever succeed getting a job in a big corporation which definitely values a confident individual in its working sphere.

at this juncture, i feel if i dun move on, i'll never be able to "succeed" in worklife (my definition: move on progressively in a big corporation & find work fulfillment along the way). the current pay i draw may already be the early-management salary that some are commanding. but the level of work/accomplishments is about the furthest i can reach in my current employment. if given a chance to jump, i'll have no qualms in taking up the job even if it means a substantial paycut.

but the major problem is, i couldn't find fresh opportunities in online job portals (besides the interviews i bungled) that is remotely related to what i'm doing now (hence 3 yrs of experience is essentially null). furthermore, from the history of my bungled interviews, you can discount my abilities of charming/smoking my way through interviews at jobs that are not related to my current field (this could be the reason why my ex-coworkers have moved on while I'm still here).

i feel miserable every day having to go through this like a lifeless soul. should i just forget about developing my career & move on to enriching other aspects of my life? or is there still a shred of hope left?

Unregistered 28-07-2010 09:52 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by quik00 (Post 6660)
i'm 28 years of age in my 3rd year of employment in a small consulting company, with a pretty decent pay at $6k/mth. i don't see myself progressing, not in the nature of the work i'm doing nor the opportunities that the company is able to provide.

i see co-workers of the same rank leaving and achieving something higher (as what i perceived eg. working in bigger renowned corporations therefore higher chances of progression), while i'm still stuck here desperately searching for better opportunities every single day.

i was given a few chances at interviews for potentially exciting & fulfilling careers but i messed up each time. i felt i wasn't able to portray myself expressively/favourably in front of the interviewers to the point that i doubt i'll ever succeed getting a job in a big corporation which definitely values a confident individual in its working sphere.

at this juncture, i feel if i dun move on, i'll never be able to "succeed" in worklife (my definition: move on progressively in a big corporation & find work fulfillment along the way). the current pay i draw may already be the early-management salary that some are commanding. but the level of work/accomplishments is about the furthest i can reach in my current employment. if given a chance to jump, i'll have no qualms in taking up the job even if it means a substantial paycut.

but the major problem is, i couldn't find fresh opportunities in online job portals (besides the interviews i bungled) that is remotely related to what i'm doing now (hence 3 yrs of experience is essentially null). furthermore, from the history of my bungled interviews, you can discount my abilities of charming/smoking my way through interviews at jobs that are not related to my current field (this could be the reason why my ex-coworkers have moved on while I'm still here).

i feel miserable every day having to go through this like a lifeless soul. should i just forget about developing my career & move on to enriching other aspects of my life? or is there still a shred of hope left?

6k job based on your 3 yrs experience? Mind to state what are your job responsibilities?

quik00 28-07-2010 11:00 AM

i'm doing analytical work for a petchem consulting company, basically running report, churning production cost supply/demand numbers, some liaision with clients to explain our methodologies or to exchange market info. nothing very high level like making management decision. basically the company's hierachy is flat, there isn't much management to speak for particularly for the singapore branch.

Unregistered 28-07-2010 12:55 PM

you are over paid

you are over paid

quik00 28-07-2010 01:34 PM

haha thanks for the insight, with that established should i stay on & continue to feel miserable over my prospects or move on to a junior role with a big paycut but something more fulfilling & provides better career path?

ngpl99 29-07-2010 02:11 PM

stay lah for the sake of money

quik00 29-07-2010 03:12 PM

ya looks like i have very little choice since the jobs market, although reportedly more vibrant than ever, seems shut to me.

the caveat is if i give up looking for new prospects, the chances of me moving on will diminish proportionately with my age, i'm 28 now

Unregistered 29-07-2010 04:27 PM

Do MBA Do MBA Do MBA

Unregistered 29-07-2010 05:30 PM

MBA does not mean anything as it will also depend on your boss or company culture.

I am working in a Japanese mid size company and I ask my Japanese boss (company owner) of the prospect if equip with an MBA. His reply: experience is more important.

My Singapore office MD is just a diploma holder with no company managing experience or people management experience in his previously job. Only that he has 10 years of sales experiences in another company which is selling the same product.

I will consider lucky for him to get the job as 10 years sales experiences does not means that he can contribute to the new company in term of sales revenue. Needless to say, managing a company with no experience in it.

So, quik00, stay on and wait for your opportunity like my MD. He has waited for 10 years!

Good luck.

Unregistered 30-07-2010 11:12 AM

TS, I'm in a similar situation like you.

Same age, same salary and progression in the small company seemed stagnant.

I'm already holding a managerial position and I report to the boss directly.

Apart from me are a few managers and we are considered the same in hierarchy. Where can we advance to if the next position available is the MD which is held by the boss? Although there may be no progression in career, salary increment is decent at about 5 - 10% every year.

Thus, dilemma sets in cos I'll not be able to find another job elsewhere that pays similar or higher salary.

If I want a job with better career advancement, I'll have to settle for a pay cut of at least 20%, maybe 30%.

How?

Stay in my comfort zone or take the cut?