Salary.sg Forums

Salary.sg Forums (https://forums.salary.sg/)
-   Income and Jobs (https://forums.salary.sg/income-jobs/)
-   -   should I change my job? (https://forums.salary.sg/income-jobs/9583-should-i-change-my-job.html)

lesmisrable 28-09-2017 12:52 PM

should I change my job?

I am a teacher earning 4.8k per month , been working for more than 10 years.
Mid age with young kid at home. Sole bread winner.

Recently I am thinking of making career switch, as I am now looking for a more flexible timing job, so as to arrange more time for family.

But I am not sure if it is a good choice to leave my current job.

Having said that the current job pay doesn't really tally with my workload and working experience, but it is still a stable job, at least still can take back those money home.

But this job is taking up too much of my time..

Would like to hear from you all, especially teachers who left the service and join new career , is it worth it to make a career switch?

Thanks!

Unregistered 28-09-2017 10:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by lesmisrable (Post 100482)

Recently I am thinking of making career switch, as I am now looking for a more flexible timing job, so as to arrange more time for family.

Having said that the current job pay doesn't really tally with my workload and working experience, but it is still a stable job, at least still can take back those money home.

Would like to hear from you all, especially teachers who left the service and join new career , is it worth it to make a career switch?

Thanks!

What jobs can you take up realistically? Any offers or advanced interviews to date?

You are making it sound like the decision is all about what you like and once decided just apply for the job you want and w***** comes the offer.

In reality for someone at your age with no relevant private work experience, your chances of getting an offer in a different career that is close to what you are drawing is very low. Unless by switch career you mean teach tuition then I suppose might work...

lesmisrable 02-10-2017 02:15 PM

It's really sad that a teacher has no value in the market ....
thanks....

In reality, a teacher can't compete in any private sector except tuition ......

Unregistered 02-10-2017 10:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by lesmisrable (Post 100623)
It's really sad that a teacher has no value in the market ....
thanks....

In reality, a teacher can't compete in any private sector except tuition ......

It's not teacher cannot compete, but you cannot expect to simply change career into something else in a different industry with zero relevant exp and expect employers to pay you 4.8k when you are no better than a fresh grad in their eyes.

Even if your pay expectation is competitive with fresh grads, there's still the problem of competing with the 20 year olds grads for entry level positions. I assume you are mid to late 30s already now...

Unregistered 03-10-2017 08:37 AM

Not only teachers are facing this issue.

I am from back office but I have no job satisfaction.
Bored with the paperwork and mundane tasks.
Have been wanting to switch but there seems little opportunities.
Employers would also prefer the younger ones.
Are there any opportunities for folks like us?

Unregistered 29-10-2017 11:43 AM

Would you leave? The company is big and offers long time stability, but you are bored with the job. Would you take the plunge and look elsewhere?

Unregistered 29-10-2017 03:56 PM

Chase your dream before it is too late.

If you dream to be a boss, you can drive grab or uber or taxi. It offers flexibility and satisfaction.

Be your own boss.

Unregistered 29-10-2017 06:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by lesmisrable (Post 100482)

Thanks!

A full time teaching job can be quite stressful. Part time tuition can be good. However please note that part time tuition has no bonus or cpf or other civil service benefits.

With your qualification it is easy to get $100-120 per hour in the private tuition market, Assuming five hours of work per week, (less than an hour a day) $2.4k is easy to get. And you can spend your free time doing whatever you like.

Sorry to burst your bubble but For other industry virtually zero chance of making the same amount of 4.8k. Unless you are talking abt the get rich scams, or suddenly overnight you transition into the best sales person ever in insurance or property.

Unregistered 29-10-2017 07:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 101310)
Chase your dream before it is too late.

If you dream to be a boss, you can drive grab or uber or taxi. It offers flexibility and satisfaction.

Be your own boss.

Are you working for Grab or as a Grab driver?

You would really give up a regular ( and boring) job for the unknown?

alphaboi123 02-11-2017 06:43 PM

Hi Lesmisrable,

Although I am not in the education industry or field. I would have to agree with the comments of some of the other individuals mentioned in this forums, regarding pay cut and starting everything from scratch.

Back then, didn't it ever cross your mind that something like this would have occurred - or you will be caught in this situation or scenario? Since that you have mentioned that you have been in the education industry for more than 10 years.

One of the comments that I can add is that - because of the pay structure that we pay to our graduates across the industry and board means that our opportunity cost is very high to begin with - be it in the private or public sector.

I can only add that you are not the only one who faced with this problem among those who worked in the public sector. And that the exit opportunities for those who are teaching in MOE can be quite limited - other than going into private and internationals schools or giving tuition.

The transition during the initial period can be very tough, especially when you have other commitment such as your children. Mind sharing how old are your kids?

Thanks