Salary.sg Forums

Salary.sg Forums (https://forums.salary.sg/)
-   Income and Jobs (https://forums.salary.sg/income-jobs/)
-   -   Too many foreigners in Singapore? (Poll) (https://forums.salary.sg/income-jobs/946-too-many-foreigners-singapore-poll.html)

Unregistered 17-07-2010 02:18 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ??? (Post 6535)
coz those countries are reproducing above 2.1 and have natural resources. we don't.

dang, it's our fault again. wait, aren't we paying top dollars to our best & brightest ministers? given singapore's constraints, can't they think of a better solution other than importing cheap labour? as someone said above, importing cheap labour is such an easy solution. we don't need to pay millions to get this lousy solution.

Thomas Yeo 19-07-2010 11:59 AM

equal opportunities

If we have standardized the pay/salary based on qualification and experience for all nationalities in all levels of industries including pr and citizen. Then we will not have the problems currently encountered by the citizens. (e.g. no more sweeper works for S$600/mth on 12/7, engineer works for S&1800 on 12/7. regional IT manager works for S$ 2800 on 60 to 70hrs/week, and etcs)

admin 20-07-2010 11:19 PM

Bumping this thread up.

admin 22-07-2010 12:06 AM

Bumping this thread up.

admin 22-07-2010 03:05 PM

Bumping this thread up.

admin 23-07-2010 01:34 PM

Bumping this thread up.

admin 24-07-2010 09:20 PM

Bumping this thread up.

Unregistered 25-07-2010 11:21 AM

If we want MNC we need to embrace MNs too ...

I am a PR working for a MNC. I came to Singapore when my company decided to start a large scale operations here.

No one complains about MNCs but only about Foreigners. I guess Singapore(ans) needs to rethink its(their) priorities; does it want to be a cosmopolitan attracting investment, capital and talent or a kampong living to itself.

If Singapore doesnt want MNCs there are a number of other places in Asia where they could setup shops and move their personnel (Hong Kong, Sydney, Shanghai ... ).

Unregistered 26-07-2010 03:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 6623)
I am a PR working for a MNC. I came to Singapore when my company decided to start a large scale operations here.

No one complains about MNCs but only about Foreigners. I guess Singapore(ans) needs to rethink its(their) priorities; does it want to be a cosmopolitan attracting investment, capital and talent or a kampong living to itself.

If Singapore doesnt want MNCs there are a number of other places in Asia where they could setup shops and move their personnel (Hong Kong, Sydney, Shanghai ... ).

You got a point there in your last sentence. Maybe Singapore should really slow down letting MNCs into its land, so as to make more space for canals.

And maybe so for MNs too. To make space in MRTs during peak hours.

Unregistered 27-07-2010 02:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 6643)
You got a point there in your last sentence. Maybe Singapore should really slow down letting MNCs into its land, so as to make more space for canals.

And maybe so for MNs too. To make space in MRTs during peak hours.

MNCs think Singaporeans are unqualified. That's why you see majority of their employees are foreigners- Indians, Caucasians, Filipinos, Mainland Chinese, malaysians. Singaporeans are just the minority, in some cases less than 10% of the staff! Whoever said our education system is top notched is smoking stuff.

Or we can go with what some countries adopted- a policy to hire locals first. That is, the onus is on the MNC to prove that no local can meet the requirements of a job opening, they can proceed to hire a foreigner. Singapore govt can implement such policies really well- after passing into law, the regulators will quickly find some bad apples, fine them heavily, and publicize it widely.

But the only problem is that our govt is unwilling to adopt such a policy for one reason or another.