Asset Management Salary and Lifestyle - Salary.sg Forums
Salary.sg Forums  

Go Back   Salary.sg Forums > The Salary.sg Discussion Forums: > Income and Jobs

Income and Jobs Discuss jobs, career options and of course salaries




Asset Management Salary and Lifestyle

Reply
 
Thread Tools
  #1 (permalink)  
Old 19-08-2017, 10:50 PM
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2017
Posts: 5
JoeClark is on a distinguished road
Default Asset Management Salary and Lifestyle

Hello,

I am soon to finish up my undergrad studies and am trying to choose a profession for myself. My interests tend to shift over time but currently I am strongly considering a career in Asset Management and had some questions about that field.
I am looking for an occupation with a decent work-life balance. I don't need to work 9-5 but I want to have time during evenings and weekends to enjoy life (family, movies, sports, exercise...) and don't only want to focus on my profession (although I am willing to work very very hard for the first 5-10 years). Is this possible in asset management? Can one become a portfolio manager in a mutual fund (I understand that HF's tend to have longer hours), for example, and work regular and normal hours? Are their any other asset management roles that you think would be a good fit for me? I went through many resourses Asset Management Video for help but,did not find any help.
Please help me out.

Any help will be appreciated.
Thank you .

Reply With Quote
  #2 (permalink)  
Old 20-08-2017, 11:08 AM
Unregistered
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeClark View Post
Hello,

I am soon to finish up my undergrad studies and am trying to choose a profession for myself. My interests tend to shift over time but currently I am strongly considering a career in Asset Management and had some questions about that field.
I am looking for an occupation with a decent work-life balance. I don't need to work 9-5 but I want to have time during evenings and weekends to enjoy life (family, movies, sports, exercise...) and don't only want to focus on my profession (although I am willing to work very very hard for the first 5-10 years). Is this possible in asset management? Can one become a portfolio manager in a mutual fund (I understand that HF's tend to have longer hours), for example, and work regular and normal hours? Are their any other asset management roles that you think would be a good fit for me? I went through many resourses [URL="://blog.advids.co/20-video-examples-from-it-asset-management-software-solution-and-services/"]Asset Management Video[/ for help but,did not find any help.
Please help me out.

Any help will be appreciated.
Thank you .
With your laid back / uncompetitive attitude, chances are you won't even go beyond 1st interview, so there's no delima actually.

Reply With Quote
  #3 (permalink)  
Old 20-08-2017, 12:44 PM
Unregistered
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unregistered View Post
With your laid back / uncompetitive attitude, chances are you won't even go beyond 1st interview, so there's no delima actually.
Agree. Asset management has a lot of networking to do, this includes "Personal time"

Reply With Quote
  #4 (permalink)  
Old 20-08-2017, 09:04 PM
Unregistered
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default

There seems to be a lot of undergrads with mediocre academics and internships who have almost 0% chance of getting into high finance who think as if they are the one "choosing" whether the company/job is suitable for them.

I ever interview a NTU 2:2 grad with a few normal internships who keeps telling me he wants to join top global management consultancies but is "prepared to keep his options open" to consider our Finance Exec opening. Reality is we were not even impressed enough to advance him beyond a simple phone call.
Reply With Quote
  #5 (permalink)  
Old 21-08-2017, 12:00 AM
Unregistered
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unregistered View Post
There seems to be a lot of undergrads with mediocre academics and internships who have almost 0% chance of getting into high finance who think as if they are the one "choosing" whether the company/job is suitable for them.

I ever interview a NTU 2:2 grad with a few normal internships who keeps telling me he wants to join top global management consultancies but is "prepared to keep his options open" to consider our Finance Exec opening. Reality is we were not even impressed enough to advance him beyond a simple phone call.
Thanks to teachers and parents who keep telling them that their future is bright as long as they get into a good university. They left out the fact that university is just the beginning.
Reply With Quote
  #6 (permalink)  
Old 21-08-2017, 12:31 AM
Unregistered
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default

much constructive feedback from the 3 retards as above

circle jerking at best
Reply With Quote

  #7 (permalink)  
Old 21-08-2017, 12:31 AM
Unregistered
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unregistered View Post
Thanks to teachers and parents who keep telling them that their future is bright as long as they get into a good university. They left out the fact that university is just the beginning.
Ths is a sense of self entitlement from the graduates. Many think that they are entitled to high paying jobs after graduation. It takes alot more. In fact, you do not always need to be in the top firms in order to be successful. Some may start off lower but still do well in their careers.
Reply With Quote
  #8 (permalink)  
Old 21-08-2017, 11:03 AM
Unregistered
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default

Yet another "I am interested in investment" grad who knows nothing about the industry but more interested in "work life balance"...
Reply With Quote
  #9 (permalink)  
Old 21-08-2017, 12:26 PM
Unregistered
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default

You want work life balance? Go join govt sector. Fund management don't suit you TS.
Reply With Quote
  #10 (permalink)  
Old 21-08-2017, 04:37 PM
Unregistered
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeClark View Post
Hello,

I am soon to finish up my undergrad studies and am trying to choose a profession for myself. My interests tend to shift over time but currently I am strongly considering a career in Asset Management and had some questions about that field.
I am looking for an occupation with a decent work-life balance. I don't need to work 9-5 but I want to have time during evenings and weekends to enjoy life (family, movies, sports, exercise...) and don't only want to focus on my profession (although I am willing to work very very hard for the first 5-10 years). Is this possible in asset management? Can one become a portfolio manager in a mutual fund (I understand that HF's tend to have longer hours), for example, and work regular and normal hours? Are their any other asset management roles that you think would be a good fit for me? I went through many resourses [URL="://blog.advids.co/20-video-examples-from-it-asset-management-software-solution-and-services/"]Asset Management Video[/ for help but,did not find any help.
Please help me out.

Any help will be appreciated.
Thank you .
You seem to be operating under the misconception that portfolio management is a job that anyone can apply and enter easily. A PM is a very, senior and high-ranking position, and if your priorities are work-life balance, then you haven't done your due diligence and you probably don't deserve it anyway.
Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks

« Previous Thread | Next Thread »

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
career switch to Asset management job danieldaniel Income and Jobs 13 11-07-2017 11:14 AM
best asset management service... Jimmy1978 Investments and Net Worth 2 28-03-2014 11:54 PM
Hotel Asset/Performance Management tcyeric Income and Jobs 2 13-02-2014 06:19 AM
Asset management positions wintermelon Income and Jobs 0 11-08-2012 05:25 PM
Asset Management Ops role: Blackrock vs GIC savio27 Income and Jobs 5 16-04-2012 09:50 PM

» 30 Recent Threads
MINDEF DXO (All FAQ on it) ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
2,125 Replies, 1,379,029 Views
Compare civil service salary ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
7,533 Replies, 4,381,140 Views
Citibank Singapore ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
38 Replies, 15,842 Views
Civil Service Performance Bonus ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
1,142 Replies, 841,405 Views
ITE Polytechnic Scheme ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
70 Replies, 43,682 Views
DBS Management Associate Program... ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
436 Replies, 87,842 Views
Queries about Cpib application ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
977 Replies, 385,582 Views
Need some opinion
9 Replies, 548 Views
Civil Svc/ Statboard - Typical... ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
1,174 Replies, 584,791 Views
Lawyer Salary ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
4,147 Replies, 1,440,895 Views
Anyone jobless for a long time... ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
1,942 Replies, 742,354 Views
How much are you earning per annum? ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
11,634 Replies, 3,308,007 Views
Credit Suisse - Compliance... ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
96 Replies, 49,856 Views
All about Home Affairs Senior... ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
154 Replies, 140,930 Views
How is life as a doctor in... ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
535 Replies, 617,436 Views
Being an Expat in China ( 1 2)
10 Replies, 1,494 Views
Hiring: Personal Assistant
0 Replies, 92 Views
Career as Teacher ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
1,393 Replies, 1,013,857 Views
Exxonmobil Commercial Track ( 1 2)
12 Replies, 1,349 Views
Dsta ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
727 Replies, 414,220 Views
Accountancy undergrad need advice
9 Replies, 1,250 Views
Q: Big4 - Yearly salary increment ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
784 Replies, 568,509 Views
ST Electronics ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
249 Replies, 103,382 Views
UOB Management Associate Program ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
215 Replies, 111,547 Views
Whats your net worth ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
2,635 Replies, 683,751 Views
OCBC Graduate Talent Programme... ( 1 2 3)
25 Replies, 7,035 Views
MAS : Mid Career Professionals ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
79 Replies, 54,730 Views
SVPs in banks ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
32 Replies, 10,023 Views
Associate in DBS ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
147 Replies, 191,875 Views
AML/Compliance/KYC professionals... ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
1,273 Replies, 442,093 Views
Powered by vBadvanced CMPS v3.2.2



All times are GMT +8. The time now is 02:46 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.5
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.3.2