how much money is needed to live comfortably in singapore? - Page 3 - Salary.sg Forums
Salary.sg Forums  

Go Back   Salary.sg Forums > The Salary.sg Discussion Forums: > Income and Jobs

Income and Jobs Discuss jobs, career options and of course salaries




how much money is needed to live comfortably in singapore?

Reply
 
Thread Tools
  #21 (permalink)  
Old 27-06-2011, 12:35 AM
Unregistered
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cesar View Post
Hi, My fiancee and I are planning on moving to Singapore. If you could help us to sort this out we would appreciate. As of today I don't have a job offer so I think I can only get EPEC to be able to search for a job within a year and then do all the paperwork for EP. I am on the IT field which is on the skills on demand list so the question is. Would S$17700 be enough to move to Singapore, rent a HDB or whatever for we both, we are not looking for anything fancy, just average, we rather use public transportation and at the beginning will not eat out or a couple of times a month while I get a job there? Thanks
you would be living quite miserably.. food is enough to set you back by 500-1k a month. if you eat out, assume breakfast,lunch and dinner is 4$ each, that would be 12$ per person. 12x2x30 = $720. thats assuming 4$, i doubt you will 'survive' on just a 4$ meal.

just taking into account the food expenses, you will be spending assuming 850x12 = 10k in a year.

public transport = roughly 2-3$ a day IF you only go to and fro from your intended destination.

3x2x30 = 180
180 x 12 = round off 1.5k

1.5 + 10 = you get the rough idea

unless you get your job fast, fast in the sense of few months, you will be having a hard time surviving if it drags on

Reply With Quote
  #22 (permalink)  
Old 29-06-2011, 02:59 AM
Unregistered
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unregistered View Post
you would be living quite miserably.. food is enough to set you back by 500-1k a month. if you eat out, assume breakfast,lunch and dinner is 4$ each, that would be 12$ per person. 12x2x30 = $720. thats assuming 4$, i doubt you will 'survive' on just a 4$ meal.

just taking into account the food expenses, you will be spending assuming 850x12 = 10k in a year.

public transport = roughly 2-3$ a day IF you only go to and fro from your intended destination.

3x2x30 = 180
180 x 12 = round off 1.5k

1.5 + 10 = you get the rough idea

unless you get your job fast, fast in the sense of few months, you will be having a hard time surviving if it drags on
Thanks for replying, I have been searching for jobs at this sg.dbjobs.com whatever website and it seems to be plenty of jobs in the IT field so I better get a job within the 3 first months so we will be ok until my fiancee gets one as well.

From what I have found on the internet this is what I have so far for what our monthly expenses would look like, am I close to reality?

Acommodation $1300 (something average not shared, at the beginning it can be something cheaper, first 3 - 6 months)
Transportation $100 (Home - Work for me + home - english school for her)
Food $300 (hawker centres, cook, etc)
Intensive English classes for her $400
Insurance have no idea
total $2100
I am aiming for a $2500-$3500 job otherwise we will have to look for some cheaper accomodation

Reply With Quote
  #23 (permalink)  
Old 29-06-2011, 02:02 PM
Unregistered
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Red face

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unregistered View Post
i think $5k/mth income shd be comfortable in spore, with a kid and wife and still able to own a small car. Anything less will be "stressful".....something got to let go to adjust the correct lifestyle.....sad.
Enjoy living and dying in poverty, $5/k a month for the above? Be jobless for one month you could be sleeping on the streets the next. Pathetic

Reply With Quote
  #24 (permalink)  
Old 29-06-2011, 06:14 PM
Unregistered
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unregistered View Post
Enjoy living and dying in poverty, $5/k a month for the above? Be jobless for one month you could be sleeping on the streets the next. Pathetic
Many people are living comfortably on less than 5k a month. Not everyone is a minister.
Reply With Quote
  #25 (permalink)  
Old 03-08-2011, 01:44 AM
shorcehek
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default Boys and girls over here

Hello! Happy to be here, this really is my personal very first post, wish in the future times to obtain upon well.
Reply With Quote
  #26 (permalink)  
Old 03-08-2011, 12:38 PM
Super Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Posts: 115
undiscern is on a distinguished road
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unregistered View Post
Many people are living comfortably on less than 5k a month. Not everyone is a minister.
Agree totally!
Reply With Quote

  #27 (permalink)  
Old 07-08-2011, 12:54 AM
Unregistered
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default

Sure. Many people are also living comfortably with 3k in the 80s.
Reply With Quote
  #28 (permalink)  
Old 27-09-2011, 11:21 PM
Postdoc_genetics
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default Single father of 4-year old boy

Dear Singaporeans,

I have a question regarding salary to add to the thread, any responses will be much appreciated.

I am a single father with a 4-year old boy. There is a high potential I will be offered a postdoc position at the National University of Singapore (NUS).

If possible, I would like to live close to NUS so that I can minimize transit time to and from campus. Hence, I will utilize the transit system, I will not use a car.

Fees:
From my investigation of daycare fees close to NUS, prices range from $500 to $600 per month. Hence, per year prices will range from $6,000 to $7,200.

As for a modest rent for a single father and child living close to NUS, I am not sure. Can anyone make a suggestion as to the fees of housing accommodations close to NUS (nothing fancy, but something decent).

Therefore,

Salary = $7,200 + rent (apartments close to NUS) + utilities + food + transit + leisure

If anyone can add approximate values to the terms, or add additional terms so that I may estimate a salary that will accommodate my son and I, would be much appreciated.

Thank you in advance.
Reply With Quote
  #29 (permalink)  
Old 28-09-2011, 02:30 AM
Unregistered
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unregistered View Post
Sure. Many people are also living comfortably with 3k in the 80s.
How much do you need to be comfortable?
Reply With Quote
  #30 (permalink)  
Old 28-09-2011, 02:33 AM
Unregistered
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Postdoc_genetics View Post
Dear Singaporeans,

I have a question regarding salary to add to the thread, any responses will be much appreciated.

I am a single father with a 4-year old boy. There is a high potential I will be offered a postdoc position at the National University of Singapore (NUS).

If possible, I would like to live close to NUS so that I can minimize transit time to and from campus. Hence, I will utilize the transit system, I will not use a car.

Fees:
From my investigation of daycare fees close to NUS, prices range from $500 to $600 per month. Hence, per year prices will range from $6,000 to $7,200.

As for a modest rent for a single father and child living close to NUS, I am not sure. Can anyone make a suggestion as to the fees of housing accommodations close to NUS (nothing fancy, but something decent).

Therefore,

Salary = $7,200 + rent (apartments close to NUS) + utilities + food + transit + leisure

If anyone can add approximate values to the terms, or add additional terms so that I may estimate a salary that will accommodate my son and I, would be much appreciated.

Thank you in advance.
Your postdoc allowance should be sufficient. If you need extra income, there are various ways, eg give private tuition (hot industry in Singapore), work as teaching assistant, or do homework for lazy students hahha.
Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks

« Previous Thread | Next Thread »
Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Advise Needed for Bioengineering grad Gan_Do Income and Jobs 33 19-06-2017 06:28 PM
Advice needed for Ivy-L Grad down on his luck. Flyinghome Income and Jobs 31 16-03-2011 11:33 PM
Advice needed boliao123 Income and Jobs 1 18-06-2010 05:41 PM
Who will Inherit Your Money? Salary.sg Investments and Net Worth 1 02-03-2009 07:13 PM
Men, Divorcees Owe More Money Salary.sg Investments and Net Worth 0 14-06-2008 11:21 AM

» 30 Recent Threads
Micron starting pay ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
561 Replies, 214,728 Views
Q: Big4 - Yearly salary increment ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
9,172 Replies, 2,884,719 Views
Career as Teacher ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
6,211 Replies, 3,933,922 Views
ST Electronics ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
3,140 Replies, 955,166 Views
Civil Svc/ Statboard - Typical... ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
4,472 Replies, 2,531,407 Views
Shopee fresh grad pay ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
728 Replies, 204,793 Views
Enterprise Singapore hiriing... ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
146 Replies, 143,129 Views
Job Application with MOE... ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
393 Replies, 432,433 Views
Roles in accenture singapore ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
5,390 Replies, 1,167,744 Views
High Finance Thread ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
1,389 Replies, 330,978 Views
Civil Service Performance Bonus ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
4,156 Replies, 3,148,263 Views
Compare civil service salary ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
14,842 Replies, 9,606,649 Views
Hospital (Private or Public)... ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
340 Replies, 110,155 Views
GovTech Tech Associate Program... ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
350 Replies, 142,937 Views
Credit Suisse ( 1 2)
13 Replies, 5,599 Views
How much do you earn and save? ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
384 Replies, 181,550 Views
IMDA (under MCI) ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
353 Replies, 180,698 Views
IMDA AIM Graduate Development... ( 1 2)
11 Replies, 4,664 Views
Lawyer Salary ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
18,040 Replies, 7,126,596 Views
Electrical Engineering Jobs in...
1 Replies, 286 Views
Engineer Pay ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
522 Replies, 284,870 Views
ST engineering starting pay ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
111 Replies, 68,322 Views
Ex-MOE Teachers ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
331 Replies, 290,541 Views
DBS tech seed programme ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
2,493 Replies, 724,521 Views
HSBC Graduate Programme 2021 ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
112 Replies, 56,412 Views
Compilation of MAs/Analysts Gross... ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
1,136 Replies, 439,108 Views
How to make money online as a...
2 Replies, 1,435 Views
Bnp paribas graduate ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
193 Replies, 113,841 Views
CSA (Cyber Security Agency) ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
559 Replies, 232,647 Views
How is life as a doctor in... ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
4,278 Replies, 2,112,556 Views
Powered by vBadvanced CMPS v3.2.2



All times are GMT +8. The time now is 04:28 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.5
Copyright ©2000 - 2022, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.3.2