Salary.sg Forums

Salary.sg Forums (https://forums.salary.sg/)
-   Income and Jobs (https://forums.salary.sg/income-jobs/)
-   -   how much money is needed to live comfortably in singapore? (https://forums.salary.sg/income-jobs/944-how-much-money-needed-live-comfortably-singapore.html)

Unregistered 27-06-2011 12:35 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Cesar (Post 13623)
Hi, My fiancee and I are planning on moving to Singapore. If you could help us to sort this out we would appreciate. As of today I don't have a job offer so I think I can only get EPEC to be able to search for a job within a year and then do all the paperwork for EP. I am on the IT field which is on the skills on demand list so the question is. Would S$17700 be enough to move to Singapore, rent a HDB or whatever for we both, we are not looking for anything fancy, just average, we rather use public transportation and at the beginning will not eat out or a couple of times a month while I get a job there? Thanks

you would be living quite miserably.. food is enough to set you back by 500-1k a month. if you eat out, assume breakfast,lunch and dinner is 4$ each, that would be 12$ per person. 12x2x30 = $720. thats assuming 4$, i doubt you will 'survive' on just a 4$ meal.

just taking into account the food expenses, you will be spending assuming 850x12 = 10k in a year.

public transport = roughly 2-3$ a day IF you only go to and fro from your intended destination.

3x2x30 = 180
180 x 12 = round off 1.5k

1.5 + 10 = you get the rough idea

unless you get your job fast, fast in the sense of few months, you will be having a hard time surviving if it drags on

Unregistered 29-06-2011 02:59 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 13626)
you would be living quite miserably.. food is enough to set you back by 500-1k a month. if you eat out, assume breakfast,lunch and dinner is 4$ each, that would be 12$ per person. 12x2x30 = $720. thats assuming 4$, i doubt you will 'survive' on just a 4$ meal.

just taking into account the food expenses, you will be spending assuming 850x12 = 10k in a year.

public transport = roughly 2-3$ a day IF you only go to and fro from your intended destination.

3x2x30 = 180
180 x 12 = round off 1.5k

1.5 + 10 = you get the rough idea

unless you get your job fast, fast in the sense of few months, you will be having a hard time surviving if it drags on

Thanks for replying, I have been searching for jobs at this sg.dbjobs.com whatever website and it seems to be plenty of jobs in the IT field so I better get a job within the 3 first months so we will be ok until my fiancee gets one as well.

From what I have found on the internet this is what I have so far for what our monthly expenses would look like, am I close to reality?

Acommodation $1300 (something average not shared, at the beginning it can be something cheaper, first 3 - 6 months)
Transportation $100 (Home - Work for me + home - english school for her)
Food $300 (hawker centres, cook, etc)
Intensive English classes for her $400
Insurance have no idea
total $2100
I am aiming for a $2500-$3500 job otherwise we will have to look for some cheaper accomodation

Unregistered 29-06-2011 02:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 7700)
i think $5k/mth income shd be comfortable in spore, with a kid and wife and still able to own a small car. Anything less will be "stressful".....something got to let go to adjust the correct lifestyle.....sad.

Enjoy living and dying in poverty, $5/k a month for the above? Be jobless for one month you could be sleeping on the streets the next. Pathetic

Unregistered 29-06-2011 06:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 13735)
Enjoy living and dying in poverty, $5/k a month for the above? Be jobless for one month you could be sleeping on the streets the next. Pathetic

Many people are living comfortably on less than 5k a month. Not everyone is a minister.

shorcehek 03-08-2011 01:44 AM

Boys and girls over here

Hello! Happy to be here, this really is my personal very first post, wish in the future times to obtain upon well.

undiscern 03-08-2011 12:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 13741)
Many people are living comfortably on less than 5k a month. Not everyone is a minister.

Agree totally!

Unregistered 07-08-2011 12:54 AM

Sure. Many people are also living comfortably with 3k in the 80s.

Postdoc_genetics 27-09-2011 11:21 PM

Single father of 4-year old boy

Dear Singaporeans,

I have a question regarding salary to add to the thread, any responses will be much appreciated.

I am a single father with a 4-year old boy. There is a high potential I will be offered a postdoc position at the National University of Singapore (NUS).

If possible, I would like to live close to NUS so that I can minimize transit time to and from campus. Hence, I will utilize the transit system, I will not use a car.

Fees:
From my investigation of daycare fees close to NUS, prices range from $500 to $600 per month. Hence, per year prices will range from $6,000 to $7,200.

As for a modest rent for a single father and child living close to NUS, I am not sure. Can anyone make a suggestion as to the fees of housing accommodations close to NUS (nothing fancy, but something decent).

Therefore,

Salary = $7,200 + rent (apartments close to NUS) + utilities + food + transit + leisure

If anyone can add approximate values to the terms, or add additional terms so that I may estimate a salary that will accommodate my son and I, would be much appreciated.

Thank you in advance.

Unregistered 28-09-2011 02:30 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 15125)
Sure. Many people are also living comfortably with 3k in the 80s.

How much do you need to be comfortable?

Unregistered 28-09-2011 02:33 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Postdoc_genetics (Post 16663)
Dear Singaporeans,

I have a question regarding salary to add to the thread, any responses will be much appreciated.

I am a single father with a 4-year old boy. There is a high potential I will be offered a postdoc position at the National University of Singapore (NUS).

If possible, I would like to live close to NUS so that I can minimize transit time to and from campus. Hence, I will utilize the transit system, I will not use a car.

Fees:
From my investigation of daycare fees close to NUS, prices range from $500 to $600 per month. Hence, per year prices will range from $6,000 to $7,200.

As for a modest rent for a single father and child living close to NUS, I am not sure. Can anyone make a suggestion as to the fees of housing accommodations close to NUS (nothing fancy, but something decent).

Therefore,

Salary = $7,200 + rent (apartments close to NUS) + utilities + food + transit + leisure

If anyone can add approximate values to the terms, or add additional terms so that I may estimate a salary that will accommodate my son and I, would be much appreciated.

Thank you in advance.

Your postdoc allowance should be sufficient. If you need extra income, there are various ways, eg give private tuition (hot industry in Singapore), work as teaching assistant, or do homework for lazy students hahha.