Salary.sg Forums

Salary.sg Forums (https://forums.salary.sg/)
-   Income and Jobs (https://forums.salary.sg/income-jobs/)
-   -   Advice needed!! SPF Senior police officer vs. Private Sector (https://forums.salary.sg/income-jobs/939-advice-needed-singapore-police-force-senior-police-officer-vs-private-sector.html)

Unregistered 07-07-2010 10:51 AM

a few comments:

1) not all public service jobs are the same. There are some interesting ones which have market value after working there for a couple of years. MAS comes to mind. maybe some statutory boards where it allows you to interact with various business sectors etc. Police and Army, however, counts as nothing in terms of relevant experience in the real world.

2) you cannot compare hours and starting pay for private versus public sector. Public sector will always offer better starting pay and offer better hours in the first few years. However, you trade initial lower pay for better opportunities in the future in terms of work experience and increasing your market value. There will be people who prefer stability, in that case, stick to public sector. If you take the bell curve distribution, your pay will always fall under the mean or median. It will never be possible to move up the curve if you don't take any risks at all.

3) think longer term and also think outside of singapore as well. Singapore is not the only place in the world with great jobs. Start thinking where you will like to be in a few years time and use your first job as a base to launch you forward.

Unregistered 07-07-2010 11:17 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 6433)
a few comments:

1) not all public service jobs are the same. There are some interesting ones which have market value after working there for a couple of years. MAS comes to mind. maybe some statutory boards where it allows you to interact with various business sectors etc. Police and Army, however, counts as nothing in terms of relevant experience in the real world.

The experience in the police force does count for something after you leave. You can join security-related firms such as Certis Cisco, or start your own security consulting company or be a private investigator.

NTU grad no. 3! 21-07-2010 06:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by NTU Fresh Grad too! (Post 6432)
Hello!

By the way, I simply have a Pass degree. Yet, I was offered a 45K annual package, which is incredible considering my GPA/CAP, working in a foreign MNC. I was very happy that the company recognised my effort spent in participating in CCAs and part-time jobs, and offered me a great package based on my potential and capabilities, rather than grades alone.
?

Dude... ure pay is really good man. My annual pay with aws is only 44.5K. Give me some hint where you working at leh? or at least which industry?

Unregistered 22-11-2011 09:33 AM

PI?
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 6434)
The experience in the police force does count for something after you leave. You can join security-related firms such as Certis Cisco, or start your own security consulting company or be a private investigator.

haha private investigator?

Unregistered 22-11-2011 11:33 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 18294)
haha private investigator?

why do you laugh? PIs can make a lot of money too.

Unregistered 23-11-2011 04:48 PM

wo6
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 6434)
The experience in the police force does count for something after you leave. You can join security-related firms such as Certis Cisco, or start your own security consulting company or be a private investigator.

Apart from those that you mentioned, there is a market for security/investigation related positions as well in the financial industry e.g fraud investigator, security manager (Regional or local), emergency preparedness, anti-money laundering, counter terrorist fundings, so on and so forth. These positions are highly sought after in financial institutions and most of them are highly paid...

Unregistered 25-11-2011 09:54 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 18348)
Apart from those that you mentioned, there is a market for security/investigation related positions as well in the financial industry e.g fraud investigator, security manager (Regional or local), emergency preparedness, anti-money laundering, counter terrorist fundings, so on and so forth. These positions are highly sought after in financial institutions and most of them are highly paid...

MBS hired a lot of ex-police. When you said "highly paid", it's at most 5k right?

Hermit 26-11-2011 11:49 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 6418)
i would ask you to take the MNC job (I am suspecting it would be hitachi). The chemical industry is pretty stable and you can use that to move to something else later. Police officer, on the hand, regardless of the high starting pay, counts as nothing in the real world. I suspect that you are not a scholar, so there is a glass ceiling for you. If you are content with younger scholars as your boss in the future, that is fine. Upside is limited as a police officer.

Hi Liquid,

Either (1) take the MNC job or (2) scout around for more options.

In NO case do you take up the SPF job. Not without a scholarship. You will be at the lowest end of the food chain and at every turn you will be reminded that you are lesser than the lowest scholar. At each posting and pay adjustment, more and more scholars younger than you will overtake you and become your seniors, or become your supervisor and eventually become your commander.

If you have not dreamt of becoming a policeman all your life, then just forget it. The good starting pay is a trap. You get stuck in lots and lots of paper work and bureaucratic reporting. In any case, policing is no longer what it used to be. Do not be fooled by TV roles and Hollywood. You do not fight for justice and the well being of victims. Even if you do, you do not get the credit. But you do see a lot of ugly things and how the system fails people in need of help. You will be disillusioned and disappointed.

<Unregistered> who replied to your first is right. There is very little upside even if you persevere and try your very best for 10 to 15 years. So my personal advice is: DON'T.

Unregistered 27-11-2011 02:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Hermit (Post 18390)
Hi Liquid,

Either (1) take the MNC job or (2) scout around for more options.

In NO case do you take up the SPF job. Not without a scholarship. You will be at the lowest end of the food chain and at every turn you will be reminded that you are lesser than the lowest scholar. At each posting and pay adjustment, more and more scholars younger than you will overtake you and become your seniors, or become your supervisor and eventually become your commander.

If you have not dreamt of becoming a policeman all your life, then just forget it. The good starting pay is a trap. You get stuck in lots and lots of paper work and bureaucratic reporting. In any case, policing is no longer what it used to be. Do not be fooled by TV roles and Hollywood. You do not fight for justice and the well being of victims. Even if you do, you do not get the credit. But you do see a lot of ugly things and how the system fails people in need of help. You will be disillusioned and disappointed.

<Unregistered> who replied to your first is right. There is very little upside even if you persevere and try your very best for 10 to 15 years. So my personal advice is: DON'T.

Yup.. this guy knows what he's talking about..... I have struggled for 10 years... And there's no hope of ever becoming a somebody in the public service... They only look at your academic status to chart your prospect with the organisation... Better to join private.. becos even if you're not a scholar.. at least you still have a fighting chance...

Unregistered 27-11-2011 10:59 PM

Males should clarify about their NS obligations (reservist) before signing on the saf or some of the home team divisions. Don't blur blur sign on.


All times are GMT +8. The time now is 11:52 AM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.5
Copyright ©2000 - 2020, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.3.2