Salary.sg Forums

Salary.sg Forums (https://forums.salary.sg/)
-   Income and Jobs (https://forums.salary.sg/income-jobs/)
-   -   Advice for a current Treasury Exec - should I take on a new job offer? (https://forums.salary.sg/income-jobs/9139-advice-current-treasury-exec-should-i-take-new-job-offer.html)

inapickle 21-06-2017 07:14 PM

Advice for a current Treasury Exec - should I take on a new job offer?

I'm currently a junior Treasury Executive in a small, private metals commodities trading firm of about 50 headcount. I've been offered a Treasury Officer position at a large MNC commodities trading firm.

I was offered a 5% increment from my current salary, with the standard annual salary review, and the company pays out good bonus (0-3.5months). The exposure and job responsibilities are definitely much wider. I'm keen on the better exposure, but I feel the 5% increase is not is not reflective of the heavier job responsibilities (I asked for 10% increase).

I recently took my Level 3 CFA examinations, so I'm also looking out for analyst roles. Analyst roles definitely interest me more than Treasury, but I dont have any job experience in that area.

Would you advise that I take on the job? Any advice is appreciated!

Unregistered 22-06-2017 01:01 AM

That's too little. Ask for 20%

Unregistered 22-06-2017 01:03 AM

What are u doing as a treasury executive & what type of analyst role do u want to do?

Unregistered 22-06-2017 07:30 AM

May I know how long have you been in your current role? I would think 5% is too low. The reason you are offered means they are willing to let you take on the role. Just that I am not sure why is it just 5%. Personally I won't accept this offer even if the exposure is bettter or responsibilities are wider. You won't know until you start the new role.

You are better offer staying in your current role while looking other opportunities.

Unregistered 22-06-2017 08:15 AM

While 5% may sound low, your initial asking was 10%. It is common for companies to negotiate the pay, and meet in the middle. If you had wanted 10% increment, you should have asked for a 20% increment.

Separately, it is not clear how long have you been with the existing company. This could be one of the reasons for a 5% increment. In a smaller company, you have to do everything, but the standards are looser. There are also more limited growth in a smaller company. In a larger entity, your scope is more limited and you would have more structure. If you want to grow further, I would recommend the larger entity. Even if you are not happy with the 5% increment, there is not much you can do, since you had a very low asking, to start with. Look at the larger entity as a stepping stone to a bigger role or better increment.

If you think it is easy to find another job in another similar large setup, you can always reject this offer and try again. This time, remember to ask for a higher increment, to start.

Unregistered 04-05-2020 01:11 PM

Treasury Analyst @ Nestle
s://jobdetails.nestle.com/job/Singapore-Treasury-Analyst/600383001/