Please Advise: First Time Job Seeking in Career Switch - Salary.sg Forums
Salary.sg Forums  

Go Back   Salary.sg Forums > The Salary.sg Discussion Forums: > Income and Jobs

Income and Jobs Discuss jobs, career options and of course salaries

Please Advise: First Time Job Seeking in Career Switch

Old 18-06-2017, 12:24 PM

Audris is on a distinguished road
Default Please Advise: First Time Job Seeking in Career Switch

Hi everyone, would like to get some opinion as it's my first time searching for a job on my own. I've been under MOE for 5 years and have tendered hoping for a career switch to accounting. Currently taking private degree (DL) and expecting to grad by this year Nov/Dec. Able to commit for a new career from mid July onwards.

Willing to start from the bottom and commit long hours but how bottom should I set the limit?

1) What should be the salary I'm asking for during job hunt considering I have zero corporate accounting experience and yet to attain my private degree? Have only been exposed to very basic accounting duties during my career in MOE such as putting up budget and dealing with invoices on monthly basis. (Yes teachers do these on our own within the dept) Say last drawn was 2.7k, should I ask for 2.5k, 2.7k or even lower?

2) My private degree is a 1 year course which doesn't sound very convincing for employers for someone who has no relevant prior qualification. The previous interview I went, the hiring manager seemed abit surprised at a degree course for only 1 year. Truth is, this degree would have taken 1.5 year which is the norm for private degrees but I was exempted credits due to previous 2.5 years studies of accounting degree at UniSIM. Switched uni due to time and uni culture factors. I did not mention UniSIM studies in my CV nor interview as advised by many. I'm relatively familiar with accounting studies considering having studied for 3 years and I think there are some useful modules I cleared in UniSIM such as Singapore Tax which isn't offered in my current programme. So in my case, would it still be unfavorable or should I just be truthful and explain the reason of switch?

3) My goal in an accounting career would be specializing in either AP/AR, Audit or Forensic accounting eventually. Hoping to have a grasp of different kinds of accounting specialization first so it'd be great if I can find an opportunity to do Full Sets. Apparently Audit, Forensic and many Full Sets require experience so would starting up as accounts assistant lead to these eventually?

4) Apart from Accounting, HR is another path which I'm interested to explore should accounting not work out. How is HR career life and progression as compared to Accounting? Any personal experience and opinions?

Pardon for the long post. TIA!

Old 19-06-2017, 07:04 PM
Unregistered

Jialat, you made quite a number of mistakes.

1) You tendered before securing a job.

2) You change schools after a very long 2.5 years instead of changing earlier or enduring to completion.

3) It really sounds like you chose degrees based on shortest length.

4) Have you considered the Chartered Accountant requirements at all? ://.singaporecaqualification.com

I think 2.4k or 2.5k would be a good start. But to be honest, you should disclose everything about your situation and grab the first job offer you get.

Old 19-06-2017, 07:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unregistered View Post
Jialat, you made quite a number of mistakes.

1) You tendered before securing a job.

2) You change schools after a very long 2.5 years instead of changing earlier or enduring to completion.

3) It really sounds like you chose degrees based on shortest length.

4) Have you considered the Chartered Accountant requirements at all? ://.singaporecaqualification.com

I think 2.4k or 2.5k would be a good start. But to be honest, you should disclose everything about your situation and grab the first job offer you get.
1) Haha yes everyone was telling me first one was a mistake and dangerous but I was determined because I have personal committment in July which isn't school holiday.

2) Yup agreed I regretted not making the choice earlier but to stay on requires another 2.5 years at least.

4) Read and found out some info about it before I took the studies. But this will only be in far future plan after I've tried some accounting jobs.

Thanks for giving an estimate! I'll be going for some interviews this week and hopefully to hear some good news.

Old 19-06-2017, 09:02 PM
Unregistered

Generally speaking DL accounting degrees are not worth much in the market. In fact an accounting/finance related diploma from a proper poly has better marketability. All the major employers like MNC, larger local firms or public sector will not hire you on a degree executive level.

Your most realistic action is to either take up finance/accounting executive jobs in small companies or finance officer levels in larger companies. These will usually pay closer to non-technical diploma starting pay as you have no relevant exp. I would say anywhere 2 to 2.4k max if you are lucky.

The difficulty is that you are competing with the hoards of diploma fresh grads as a mid-career, that is going to be a hard sell. My advice would be to grab whatever offer that comes first, I don't think its going to be that easy for you to get an offer.

Let this be a hard lesson for you in the future - in Singapore do not quit a cushy job without getting anything first, especially when your CV is very weak.

Primary School English Grammar and Vocabulary Drills
Primary School English Grammar and Vocabulary Drills

SG Bus Timing App
SG Bus Timing App - the best bus app - available on iOS and Android

Bursa Stocks Android App - check share prices
Bursa Stocks [Android] App - check latest share prices on the go

SGX Stocks Android App - check share prices
SGX Stocks [Android] App - check latest share prices on the go

SGX Stocks for iPad - check latest Singapore share prices
SGX Stocks [iPad] app
| SGX Stocks [iPhone] app
Old 20-06-2017, 12:16 AM
Unregistered

2.5k difficult lah. If no direct exp even with ACCA/CPA cert not easy to hit 3k, maybe 2.7/2.8k, I dun think your dl deg can go so high to 2.5k. Also dun forget even those from the local uni grads join Big4 starting only 2.8k now.
Old 03-09-2017, 07:12 PM
Unregistered

Hi,

What are the job nature and prospects of being a RM in a local bank? Is it a place for long term career growth or do you get burned out after 3-5yrs in sales? get replaced when you get older or couldn't get clients?
Thanks.

Old 04-09-2017, 10:33 PM
Unregistered

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unregistered View Post
Hi,

What are the job nature and prospects of being a RM in a local bank? Is it a place for long term career growth or do you get burned out after 3-5yrs in sales? get replaced when you get older or couldn't get clients?
Thanks.
Anyone in the RM space can advise?
Old 04-09-2017, 11:03 PM
Unregistered

how can you be a teacher without a degree? u have a poly dip/a levels or something?

as you mentioned urself, a 1 year degree is due to you have covered the subjects before, (at unisim), so u get exemptions. you should understand that sg's HR are generally retarded. 1 year, i guess is trimester system w/o holidays? that way you can actually squeeze in almost half a basic degree into 1 year but it will be intensive. like i say, HR morons in sg wont understand these things.

you need to understand the world (especially in SG) is not so nice, and most HR and people on this forum are out to snipe you and insult you for personal pleasure or just to feel good about themselves. many on this forum are uni kids.

accounting is one of those timeless degrees always in demand and you should be okay in the long run. upgrade to acca etc KIV.

dont worry so much, u will be fine.
Old 22-10-2018, 10:18 AM
JobHunter45

Hi Audris,

Could you share your career switch experience with us please? Did you manage to switch to an accounting job? Like you, I'm a public servant also looking to switch to an accountancy career. I'm 30 years old and I've been in public service for 7 years doing general admin work and now I'm self studying for singapore CA qualifications. I've been looking for entry level accounts job but cannot even get any interviews...even though I'm willing to start at entry level salary. It's been quite demoralising and i really wonder if it is possible to do career switch at all.
Old 22-10-2018, 04:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JobHunter45 View Post
Hi Audris,

Could you share your career switch experience with us please? Did you manage to switch to an accounting job? Like you, I'm a public servant also looking to switch to an accountancy career. I'm 30 years old and I've been in public service for 7 years doing general admin work and now I'm self studying for singapore CA qualifications. I've been looking for entry level accounts job but cannot even get any interviews...even though I'm willing to start at entry level salary. It's been quite demoralising and i really wonder if it is possible to do career switch at all.
Hi yes, I managed to get four offers last year with just 100-200 pay cut while I was still studying for the degree. It's possible to do a career switch and most importantly is to perform well for your interviews and get your resume vetted by a certified HR personnel.