Salary.sg Forums

Salary.sg Forums (https://forums.salary.sg/)
-   Income and Jobs (https://forums.salary.sg/income-jobs/)
-   -   Deputy Director or Director - Civil Service earns? (https://forums.salary.sg/income-jobs/911-deputy-director-director-civil-service-earns.html)

babymango 20-05-2010 02:56 PM

Deputy Director or Director - Civil Service earns?

Can anyone help me please?

How much would a typical Deputy/Assistant Director or Director earn in the various government ministries under the PR/Marcom/Marketing division?

Maybe with 10-12 years experience?

Thanks so much!

babymango 20-05-2010 02:57 PM

It would also help if someone can tell me what a general marcom exec in the ministry would start off with, and what the levels of promotion/designation might be, thanks again!

Unregistered 20-05-2010 11:39 PM

hard to say. these days the titles of assistant director, senior assistant director and dy director are so abused by some ministries that they don't carry much weight any more. I know a senior assistant director in one ministry who earns less than a 'manager' in a stat board.
It would help we knew which ministry you were looking at.

babymango 21-05-2010 12:04 AM

oh...

MTA - min of transport.

But do you mind telling me how much your friend who's a senior deputy director earns? Which ministry is he/she from? Thanks!

Unregistered 22-05-2010 04:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by babymango (Post 5997)
MTA - min of transport.

But do you mind telling me how much your friend who's a senior deputy director earns? Which ministry is he/she from? Thanks!

Its a Snr AD. I'm not sure if there's a Snr DD post yet...

Taking back about 6100, so I heard. Been in the job for about 9-10 years.

His ministry is one of those that abuses the 'AD/ Snr AD' posititon a lot. most of the mid-managers there are Snr ADs, which don't mean much unfortunately.

I know that MOE and Mindef are two ministries that take the AD/Snr AD/ DD post very seriously. I've heard of a colonel of a infantry brigade kenna posted to MOE and retired there as a AD, so theirs counts for something.

DOn't know anything about MOT, sorry.

babymango 22-05-2010 04:53 PM

thanks for the info!

Asst Dir and Deputy Dir are the same thing, as far as i know - some ministries call them assistants, and some deputy, it means junior or second in command director basically and are the same thing i was told.

i think you are very right about this abusing of the title theory - i know someone who became assistant deputy director at 32 years old, and she had been working since age 26 years old at ministries - i never could understand how someone can be a deputy anything with just 6 years of experience!??! You're right! That's mid management at most!

How old is your friend btw when he became Senior AD? The one who whom you spoke about.... probably early - mid 30's?

Unregistered 22-05-2010 05:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by babymango (Post 6002)
thanks for the info!

Asst Dir and Deputy Dir are the same thing, as far as i know - some ministries call them assistants, and some deputy, it means junior or second in command director basically and are the same thing i was told.

i think you are very right about this abusing of the title theory - i know someone who became assistant deputy director at 32 years old, and she had been working since age 26 years old at ministries - i never could understand how someone can be a deputy anything with just 6 years of experience!??! You're right! That's mid management at most!

How old is your friend btw when he became Senior AD? The one who whom you spoke about.... probably early - mid 30's?

Hi there, I am not sure about Ministries though.

How about semi government companies - SMRT etc? Holding designations of VP?

Paladin18 01-06-2010 09:06 PM

I'm a Deputy Director in a Stat Board heading a policy unit, with concurrent duties in marcoms and corporate comms. Been at this position for a little over 2 years. Monthly income $8,400 excluding Jul/Dec Bonus, 13th month and PB. Annual income last year including bonuses came to about $145,000.

I don't consider myself a high flyer so I think is more or less the a normal salary for Deputy Directors with my sort of background. Prior to that, spent 10 years in a Ministry, including a couple overseas postings. 2nd Class Upper Honours from NUS, non-scholar. Did not go for Masters and I come from a non-technical background.

The terms Assistant Director, Senior Assistant Director and Deputy Directors are used very loosely in the Singapore government setup. This has largely to do with the latitude and autonomy accorded to each Ministry and government agency since the 1990s. Consequently, there is a wide variance in the scope of responsibilities amongst government agencies for officers who hold the abovementioned ranks.

In some Ministries, Assistant Directors are entry-level positions. The situation is complicated by the introduction of appointments like Manager, which is not a rank in the typical Civil Service. Hope this helps.

babymango 01-06-2010 11:58 PM

Thank you Paladin, yes your reply was really insightful and helped me a lot! Thanks again!

I am guessing that you're in your early 30's? I think 145 000 is pretty remarkable indeed for someone that young, well done!

babymango 02-06-2010 12:00 AM

btw, what is PB?