Go Back   Salary.sg Forums > The Salary.sg Discussion Forums: > Income and Jobs

Income and Jobs Discuss jobs, career options and of course salaries

Pharmacist

Old 05-04-2015, 09:04 PM

ryanmononoke is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by melissa View Post
Hi,
I'm a recent fresh graduate in Malaysia and studying Biomedical Science (Degree with Honours). May I know how much is the salary for pharmacy technician/ assistant particularly in hospital-based such as SGH, Tan Tock Seng Hospital etc. ? Is it worth for me as I need to pay room rental, food, transport etc.

Thanks.
I was a graduate with Biological Sciences in Singapore. Perhaps I can help on this matter.

With your degree, in my opinion, you can do better than being a pharmacy assistant. Those positions are usually for polytechnic diploma holders.

Let me know if you need more information.

Old 29-10-2015, 02:13 AM
Unregistered

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unregistered View Post
Hi everyone, I've seen some of the interesting comment comparing SG pharmacist with U.S pharmacist. Getting into a US pharmacy school school is not easy. One has to have a very good GPA record as well as PCAT (Pharmacy College Admission Test) score. The reason I chose to study pharm D in the U.S mostly due to the high salary U.S pay their pharmacist on average ( 100K/yr). Most state college do not accept Foreign students as easily as local U.S students. As a result, foreign students in the U.S tends to apply to a private University. Studies in a pharmacy school is tedious and stressful depending on the pharmacy college. Most pharmacy college in the U.S runs a 4 years curriculum; however, there are some that runs on 3. I am in a 3 years accelerated Pharm D program in the State of Arizona. I have to study day and night , more than 10 hours each day of self studying to prepare for weekly exams. Each week I covered about 12 lectures. On some other weeks , I can cover up t 15 lectures + patient medication counselling, and presentation in class. Overall, the pharm D cirriculum is "crazy" ,but at the end of the day, it is worth it. In no time, I am will be earning much higher salary than the Pharmacist in Singapore.
You are painting a very rosy picture and failed to mention the downsides of pursuing PharmD in USA
- Exorbitant school fees
- Plenty of new schools popping up as business ventures, which serve nothing more than to earn money, hence the poor quality of teachings and prepare students poorly for work life
- And stemming from that too, oversupply of pharmacists in USA
- Income is highly taxed in USA

Salary in USA in general is higher than in Singapore across all sectors because of differences in costs of livings (and the taxes we pay and they pay are drastically different). Costs of studying pharmacy is 10 times cheaper in Singapore too. It is very easy to secure a spot in USA (PCAT is not a difficult test and you do not need stellar PCAT scores to enter a pharmacy school in USA; besides the ultra-competitive state schools close their doors on foreigners, hence if you look at private schools only, they are relatively much easier to get in because there are a lot of seats, some schools are even struggling to fill up their seats). On the other hand, entry to pharmacy in Singapore is much more competitive, often requiring at least 3 As (out of the 4 H2s subjects) or near perfect poly GPA. The course itself is intensive and along with pre-registration training, prepares one well for the role as a pharmacist after graduation. Jobs in Singapore are abundant with more hospitals opening, and there is a thriving private sector too (community/industrial/regulatory). Most importantly, you do not end up with a huge study loan debt. In USA, although salary is high, it takes them years to pay off the huge debt incurred.

Pharmacy is still a worthy sector to look into, opportunities to do well are available as long as you work hard. It is not as bad as what some may perceive.

Old 29-10-2015, 12:18 PM
Verified Member

jjason is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unregistered View Post
In Malaysia, the average is MYR 66000 in private sector. But if you hv more than 7 yrs experience and is really good then you can earn about MYR 100K ++
I hospital setting, experienced pharmacist earned around MYR 96000.
If one want to make money then either open your own pharmacy or choose the right employer.
I earned around MYR 96000 to MYR 110K annually.
And I was promoted to a position with a promise income from MYR 100K to MYR 120K.
But I quit this year.
Because life is not all about money.
People called me crazy for leaving those to pursue my dream.
Yes. I am.
even 120k myr is only 50k sgd (currently only 40k sgd), which is not a lot of money really. and we all know how the quality of life is like in malaysia (corruption, poor healthcare, high crime, poor roads, poor education, racism issues, poor transport network, etc)

in the usa, jobs are scarce and taxes (state/federal) will take up 25-40% of your income, so your disposable income will probably be less than in sg. public transport is crappy and you will wait 30 minutes or 1 hour for a bus alone. you will probably need to buy a car depending on where you live and while a car is not expensive putting in oil will cost you a lot. many americans with graduate degrees can't find decent paying jobs these days, and they get taxed even when they work overseas. the public school education system in the us is also quite horrible in some places...not sure how you can put up with 'oh where is shanghai/tokyo is singapore?' or its variations almost daily.

it depends on your preferences. both malaysia and the us are still decent places to live depending on your preferences.

Last edited by jjason; 29-10-2015 at 12:22 PM.
Old 17-01-2016, 09:31 PM

laytonteo is on a distinguished road

Hi all,

I would require some help in certain decisions that I would like to make for my future. Currently, I am going to start my uni in Pharmacy soon and have been thinking whether or not I should pursue a scholarship with MoH (Health Merit Scholarship/Award) if they were to offer me this year? (i.e is the route of a MoH scholar difficult?) Or would I be better off working in the private sector, for companies such as Novartis and GSK?

I've heard that having a scholarship/job in MoH or any civil service will guarantee an iron-clad position if you are capable and hardworking whereas in the private sector you need to work your ass off and your job position is not guaranteed.

I just would not want to regret in future for taking the wrong path and hoping someone could advise me rgd my decision.

Hope there are any experienced pharmacists/health care professionals here who had been through either routes can advice me

Thank you
Old 28-01-2016, 01:21 PM

joe goh is on a distinguished road

Dear all,

I am looking for Singapore registered pharmacists who wishes to earn a lucrative side income apart from their day job and I wishes to engage them as my partner in my upcoming business. Anyone keen please contact me at [email protected] and I will usually respond within 1hrs if I am not travelling overseas. Thanks.

Nr Goh
Old 13-08-2016, 01:59 PM
harrsa

Default looking for locum pharmacist job in singapore

Hia,

im currently working in Malaysia, and plan to get transfer to Johor Bharu. will Singapore pharmacy accept Malaysian pharmacist do do locum there?

Old 05-09-2016, 10:08 AM
Unregistered

Default pharmacist job

Hi,
I am looking pharmacist job in Singapore, I have completed my graduation in India, so please help to me for search a job in Singapore.
Old 13-10-2016, 08:07 PM
Unregistered

Hi, I would like to know that if i am a registered pharmacy in Malaysia with the qualification form Monash University Malaysia (which is not being recognized by Singapore Pharmacy Council), can i still work as a pharmacy in Singapore??
Old 29-04-2022, 06:03 PM
Unregistered

Yes, you are right that people also deserve such a remedy. I once had a case when my dad had a painful shock due to the fact that he tripped over the curb. I saw how I suffered from pain, so I always have this one site s://westcoastsupply.cc because this remedy helps to reduce the feeling of pain and improve the condition before recovery. I think this cure will suit your relatives too.