Lost As an engineering grad - Salary.sg Forums
Salary.sg Forums  

Go Back   Salary.sg Forums > The Salary.sg Discussion Forums: > Income and Jobs

Income and Jobs Discuss jobs, career options and of course salaries




Lost As an engineering grad

Reply
 
Thread Tools
  #1 (permalink)  
Old 12-05-2010, 03:29 PM
Verified Member
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: Singapore
Posts: 18
rampa001 is on a distinguished road
Question Lost As an engineering grad

Hi ! I'm a Poly grad with 3yrs experience working as an Assistant Engineer in the semiconductor field. I have recently completed a part time degree in electrical Engineering form a Australian University. Although I have not yet declared my new degree qualification I'm able to reach a gross pay of about 3.5K consistently. My problem is I don't see a future in making this salary grow , because in the engineering field salaries are low (compared to banking & finance). I'm currently in a dilemma ,weather to do a MBA or an MSC to help me grow up the ladder and to increase my pay.....My real passion is for engineering but Singapore doesn't seem to have any prospects so I'm thinking of career change also ......can some one plz advice me. Thx in advance

Reply With Quote
  #2 (permalink)  
Old 12-05-2010, 04:38 PM
Unregistered
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by rampa001 View Post
Hi ! I'm a Poly grad with 3yrs experience working as an Assistant Engineer in the semiconductor field. I have recently completed a part time degree in electrical Engineering form a Australian University. Although I have not yet declared my new degree qualification I'm able to reach a gross pay of about 3.5K consistently. My problem is I don't see a future in making this salary grow , because in the engineering field salaries are low (compared to banking & finance). I'm currently in a dilemma ,weather to do a MBA or an MSC to help me grow up the ladder and to increase my pay.....My real passion is for engineering but Singapore doesn't seem to have any prospects so I'm thinking of career change also ......can some one plz advice me. Thx in advance
One thing I think we all know is that you need a DEGREE. Without a basic degree, you will find it hard to enter banks. After degree, you need to change job every 2-3 years to get the pay up. The chances are 99% (1% being promotion) that staying too long in the same company, you will be UNDERPAID.

Of course, a lot of housing agents, insurance agents who are very successful have no basic degree, but I feel since you are young, you should get one before going for MBA or MSc.

If I am an employer, I wont employ someone with poly + Masters without the basic degree.

Reply With Quote
  #3 (permalink)  
Old 13-05-2010, 09:01 AM
Verified Member
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: Singapore
Posts: 18
rampa001 is on a distinguished road
Default

Hi ! first of all thank you for taking time to reply. I think you didn't fully get my point. I have a part time degree at present ,since I've just completed it i haven't declared it to my present employer. my main concerns are,

1. should i immediately start an MBA in order to make a career switch ?
2. Will an MBA help me in the first place to reach my higher goals ??

Reply With Quote
  #4 (permalink)  
Old 13-05-2010, 10:17 AM
Unregistered
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by rampa001 View Post
Hi ! first of all thank you for taking time to reply. I think you didn't fully get my point. I have a part time degree at present ,since I've just completed it i haven't declared it to my present employer. my main concerns are,

1. should i immediately start an MBA in order to make a career switch ?
2. Will an MBA help me in the first place to reach my higher goals ??
you should've done a part-time degree in business and start in operations in a bank and progress from there. what you can do now is to try to get into a good MBA school - and what i mean is insead and chicago booth types. if you go for SMU, NUS, NTU or any of those lesser foreign programmes, my concern is that your prospective employers may think you are "over qualified" for ops & support positions and yet under qualified for BA positions, and you'll be stuck. alternatively, you can do CFA part-time and enter the fund management industry, or just do sales (which can be very very lucrative).
Reply With Quote
  #5 (permalink)  
Old 14-05-2010, 09:57 AM
Verified Member
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: Singapore
Posts: 18
rampa001 is on a distinguished road
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unregistered View Post
you should've done a part-time degree in business and start in operations in a bank and progress from there. what you can do now is to try to get into a good MBA school - and what i mean is insead and chicago booth types. if you go for SMU, NUS, NTU or any of those lesser foreign programmes, my concern is that your prospective employers may think you are "over qualified" for ops & support positions and yet under qualified for BA positions, and you'll be stuck. alternatively, you can do CFA part-time and enter the fund management industry, or just do sales (which can be very very lucrative).

Thanks again for the time & the effort taken to reply, Guess I need to do some research on the CFA program...... I too was a bit skeptical in thinking of doing a MBA straight off since I have no experience in Finance ,i'm a bit afraid weather i would be able to deliver as expected by my future employer..... Do you think that the CFA program will lay a solid foundation for me ?? and most of all be a practically applicable than a MBA. The main reason I ask this is that I have not done any modules/courses in Finance and gonna be totally new to the field .........
Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks

Tags
career, degree, education, engineering, experience

« Previous Thread | Next Thread »
Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Advise Needed for Bioengineering grad Gan_Do Income and Jobs 33 19-06-2017 06:28 PM
Fresh Grad with Masters starting salary in banking Novice Income and Jobs 18 09-02-2016 08:57 PM
I'm so lost.. cupnoodles Income and Jobs 5 11-10-2013 03:00 PM
Eye Surgeon Lost 15k USD in Options Trading Salary.sg Investments and Net Worth 9 20-02-2012 01:18 PM
Aerospace Engineering vs Computer Engineering vs EE engineering john Education and Personal Growth 30 14-07-2010 03:11 AM

» 30 Recent Threads
Q: Big4 - Yearly salary increment ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
2,590 Replies, 1,266,481 Views
MINDEF DXO (All FAQ on it) ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
4,058 Replies, 2,515,815 Views
GovTech Tech Associate Program... ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
63 Replies, 34,353 Views
Lawyer Salary ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
13,629 Replies, 4,579,284 Views
HDB (under MND) ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
456 Replies, 368,843 Views
Compare civil service salary ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
12,547 Replies, 7,327,263 Views
How is life as a doctor in... ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
2,728 Replies, 1,403,655 Views
How much are you earning per annum? ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
12,657 Replies, 4,343,599 Views
AML/Compliance/KYC professionals... ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
1,514 Replies, 728,610 Views
GIC (Government of Singapore... ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
327 Replies, 451,754 Views
Career as Teacher ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
3,997 Replies, 2,490,068 Views
Civil Svc/ Statboard - Typical... ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
3,909 Replies, 1,740,146 Views
IMDA (under MCI) ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
112 Replies, 56,570 Views
MAS for Mid Career Professionals ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
470 Replies, 270,503 Views
Banks' Pay and Bonuses ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
350 Replies, 150,902 Views
Comp Science Frsh Grad Salary ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
615 Replies, 95,489 Views
Exxon Mobil Equipment tech or... ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
1,844 Replies, 605,637 Views
ST Electronics ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
2,330 Replies, 568,381 Views
Breaking the Letter Of Commitment... ( 1 2 3)
27 Replies, 25,871 Views
DBS tech seed programme ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
865 Replies, 218,172 Views
DSTA (under Mindef) ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
1,020 Replies, 736,188 Views
High Finance Thread ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
298 Replies, 99,014 Views
Perm to contract, increase > 2k... ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
30 Replies, 3,850 Views
Queries about Cpib application ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
1,266 Replies, 639,398 Views
Unilever UFLP 2018 ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
81 Replies, 23,728 Views
How rich/poor am I compared to... ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
81 Replies, 69,732 Views
Anyone jobless for a long time... ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
3,093 Replies, 1,309,537 Views
Starting Pay for CS/Ministries... ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
229 Replies, 106,614 Views
Band 4 and Band 5 in Standard... ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
31 Replies, 32,971 Views
UOB Management Associate Program ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
434 Replies, 272,055 Views
Powered by vBadvanced CMPS v3.2.2



All times are GMT +8. The time now is 09:35 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.5
Copyright ©2000 - 2021, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.3.2