Salary.sg Forums  

Go Back   Salary.sg Forums > The Salary.sg Discussion Forums: > Income and Jobs

Income and Jobs Discuss jobs, career options and of course salaries

Compare civil service salary

Old 23-12-2016, 03:08 PM
Unregistered

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unregistered View Post
I have worked in banking for 8 years with DL degree in Finance. Anyone advise is it hard for me to get into CS?
There's a ceiling for typical civil servants.
Wiser to stay in banking and bank hop every three years, the sky's the limit

Old 27-12-2016, 04:11 PM
Unregistered

Default Salary of executive in Sport Singapore?

Would anyone know the starting salary of a Executive?

From SIM average grades, 1 year of experience of work in relevant field, NS with outstanding performance and conduct (if that even matters)

Old 28-12-2016, 08:47 PM
Unregistered

Quote:
Would anyone know the starting salary of a Executive?

From SIM average grades, 1 year of experience of work in relevant field, NS with outstanding performance and conduct (if that even matters)
I'm from SIM with 2 years of relevant work experience while I was schooling; did part time studies. After graduation last year I got offered a 1 year contract position in a stat board that paid me 3.5k per month, fixed, no bonuses, with only 7 days of annual leave.

Ever since, I've moved on to private sector recently after learning that my contract wasn't going to be renewed due to government-wide ministries/stat boards on a headcount freeze.

Pretty bummed out because I was hoping for a conversion to permanent staff but nonetheless I made a good impression with my immediate supervisors and got a stellar letter of commendation. As of now, I got a pay bump to 4.2k after moving into a FMCG company. Btw I'm in the finance field.

The stat board I was in was fantastic, work-life balance was brilliant. Compared to where I am now, it's a huge change but I can cope because the 2 years working before I got my BSc was in a MNC too.

Primary School English Grammar and Vocabulary Drills

SG Bus Timing App
SG Bus Timing App - the best bus app - available on iOS and Android

Bursa Stocks Android App - check share prices
Bursa Stocks [Android] App - check latest share prices on the go

SGX Stocks Android App - check share prices
SGX Stocks [Android] App - check latest share prices on the go

SGX Stocks for iPad - check latest Singapore share prices
SGX Stocks [iPad] app
| SGX Stocks [iPhone] app
Old 29-12-2016, 08:46 AM
Unregistered

Quote:
I'm from SIM with 2 years of relevant work experience while I was schooling; did part time studies. After graduation last year I got offered a 1 year contract position in a stat board that paid me 3.5k per month, fixed, no bonuses, with only 7 days of annual leave.

Ever since, I've moved on to private sector recently after learning that my contract wasn't going to be renewed due to government-wide ministries/stat boards on a headcount freeze.

Pretty bummed out because I was hoping for a conversion to permanent staff but nonetheless I made a good impression with my immediate supervisors and got a stellar letter of commendation. As of now, I got a pay bump to 4.2k after moving into a FMCG company. Btw I'm in the finance field.

The stat board I was in was fantastic, work-life balance was brilliant. Compared to where I am now, it's a huge change but I can cope because the 2 years working before I got my BSc was in a MNC too.

Annual bonus on average how is it?
Old 30-12-2016, 02:06 PM
Unregistered

Hi guys, I will be graduating from NUS in around a year time and so would like to check what starting salary I should be expecting when I graduate. Can all the lao jiaos shed some light on what is the likely starting salary (rough estimate would do) I will be likely to draw in the following sectors:

1. SPF SPO
2. Investigative agencies like CPIB/ CAD
3. Intelligence (SID)
4. Economist Service
5. Other sectors running on the MX scheme

I will be graduating as an NUS econs grad with high fch (~4.9), non-scholar (excluding bondless scholarships by NUS). If I join SPF, will I start of as an INSP or as an ASP? MHA site says INSP but I heard ppl with good honours start of as an ASP?

Also, I heard from many people that civil service is extremely biased towards scholars in terms of career progression. The thing is, I actually applied for PSC scholarship after JC and was dropped after the final interview. But subsequently I was actually offered several ministry scholarships including mha (spf). However, being 19 and not sure of what I want, I did not accept any of them. I did not bother with mid term scholarships as well as my tuition fees is already taken care off by NUS. After going through NS as an MP, and several internships in uni, I actually developed an interest in policing work and is planning to join spf. So if i join without a scholarship, would I lose out in terms of career progression as compared to the scholars? My brother who works in the civil service told me that my stellar grades would only get me a high starting pay, but it won't prevent me from getting stepped over like dirt by the scholars in terms of career progression. If that's the case, is there any other way for me to get myself placed on the same track as the scholars?

Tks for the help!
Old 30-12-2016, 05:25 PM
Unregistered

I am being offered 5k by a ministry. 4 years of experience in prvt. Is that ok? Times dont look so good in pvt and i decided to make the jump due to commitments.

Old 30-12-2016, 05:44 PM
Unregistered

Quote:
Hi guys, I will be graduating from NUS in around a year time

1. SPF SPO
2. Investigative agencies like CPIB/ CAD
3. Intelligence (SID)
4. Economist Service
5. Other sectors running on the MX scheme

I will be graduating as an NUS econs grad with high fch (~4.9), non-scholar (excluding bondless scholarships by NUS). If I join SPF, will I start of as an INSP or as an ASP? MHA site says INSP but I heard ppl with good honours start of as an ASP?
if money and salary are all u care about, i would say go for 1) and 4)...the rest not so well paid if u factor in the long working hours...

uniformed groups like SPF pay more due to IPPT, live firing shooting and shift duty.

not very sure about the salaries, but i think u can command at least low to mid 4k/mth in the civil service...
Old 30-12-2016, 05:44 PM
Unregistered

Quote:
I am being offered 5k by a ministry. 4 years of experience in prvt. Is that ok? Times dont look so good in pvt and i decided to make the jump due to commitments.
Thats almost a 1.4k increment in 4 years if you had started ur career at a ministry. Equivalent to an annual increment of 350.

It probably is equivalent to a B grader.

Of course in pvt you can go on to earn way more.
Old 03-01-2017, 08:38 AM
Unregistered

Default Odos rarb

Quote:
That's really impressive!

But I hate to burst the bubble for potential applicants, this case is really atypical. Mid 3.5K to near 6K in 5 years is not impossible but very rare (even more rare in 3 years). Within each pay grade, your annual pay increment (MI) is more or less fixed with a small percentage band (go check it out if you don't believe). When you get a promotion, the increment is roughly double that (for lower pay grade). Without significant pay revision or Benchmarking, it is near impossible to have such big jumps in pay. And the thing is, most benchmarking to industry exercise has already been done recently. And going forward, given the dim outlook, not likely to have any more for the next few years at least.
It's a CSB...

it is even rare for scholars not to say a merit degree only. a close to 1k increment in ministry every year?

people really working in stat board will know. unless you left the service and then come back with new skills, usually the increment would not be more than 10% per annual (even for A performer).

SG Bus Timing App
SG Bus Timing App - the best bus app - available on iOS and Android

Bursa Stocks Android App - check share prices
Bursa Stocks [Android] App - check latest share prices on the go

SGX Stocks Android App - check share prices
SGX Stocks [Android] App - check latest share prices on the go

SGX Stocks for iPad - check latest Singapore share prices
SGX Stocks [iPad] app
| SGX Stocks [iPhone] app
Old 03-01-2017, 10:49 AM
Takeitwithapinchofsalt

Quote:
if money and salary are all u care about, i would say go for 1) and 4)...the rest not so well paid if u factor in the long working hours...

uniformed groups like SPF pay more due to IPPT, live firing shooting and shift duty.

not very sure about the salaries, but i think u can command at least low to mid 4k/mth in the civil service...
Bro, not true. Alot of jobs have hidden allowances that can be quite substantial to the gross salary. But it is true that readers should factor in work hours when you decide if a job pays well. your $/hr would give you a better understanding of the value of your work to the hiring organization.