Go Back   Salary.sg Forums > The Salary.sg Discussion Forums: > Income and Jobs

Income and Jobs Discuss jobs, career options and of course salaries

Compare civil service salary

Old 13-12-2016, 03:47 PM
Takeitwithapinchofsalt

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unregistered View Post
1) Mid to upper 3K.
2) Annual bonus is public info. PB is a different thing. The 3 stat boards u applying to are big stat boards, thousands of staff. So competition for PB is stiffer. If u perform well relative to others, ard 2 mths most likely.

3) Unless you have a related Engr deg, doing a Engr job for HDB, or finance/infotech Engr for any of the 3, VERY unlikely. From upper 3K to 6K in 5 years, you are asking for 10% average yearly increment. In this kind of of climate and the outlook for the next few years? You got to be dreaming, either pte or pub.
Nothing you read here is true because you havent give enough background to the job you are applying for. Different job clusters pays differently. Example: Engineering tends to pay better than Administrative sector for equivalent positions (in terms of what they require the job incumbent to perform)

It is possible to move from 3k to 6k in 5 years. I started 3 years ago at mid-3k (Pass with Merit Degree, NUS), I am about to hit 6k. (I am talking about gross salary - have not deduct CPF & other contributions). So it is possible.

Salary does not increase from Merit Increment (MI) only. If you were to refer to [email protected], they detailed down some components of salary, (e.g. MI, AVC, Promotion Increment, Salary Revision/Benchmarking etc.)

Also, do not focus your career on starting and projected future salary. If you want to join Civil/Public Service, your focus should be 1) how you can contribute in your job's capacity to the betterment of public service for Singapore and 2) skills and competencies you can learn and further enhanced to give yourself a fruitful career.

Nonetheless, I've provided myself as a case study for your reference. I hope you make an informed decision before joining us for our cause in the Civil/Public Service.

Good luck!

Old 14-12-2016, 02:27 AM
Unregistered

Quote:
Originally Posted by Takeitwithapinchofsalt View Post

It is possible to move from 3k to 6k in 5 years. I started 3 years ago at mid-3k (Pass with Merit Degree, NUS), I am about to hit 6k. (I am talking about gross salary - have not deduct CPF & other contributions). So it is possible.

Salary does not increase from Merit Increment (MI) only. If you were to refer to [email protected], they detailed down some components of salary, (e.g. MI, AVC, Promotion Increment, Salary Revision/Benchmarking etc.)
wow that's really impressive! did you include bonuses when calculating the gross salary and care to share which scheme you're on? cheers

Old 14-12-2016, 08:27 AM
Unregistered

Default Takeitwithapinchofsalt

Quote:
wow that's really impressive! did you include bonuses when calculating the gross salary and care to share which scheme you're on? cheers
Nope, bonuses (i.e. Performance Bonus, Mid & Year End) not included.

Anyway, I found an article that readers may be interested in:

s://sg.finance.yahoo.com/news/salaries-expected-4-7-2017-063040074.html

Old 14-12-2016, 10:23 AM
Unregistered

Quote:
Nothing you read here is true because you havent give enough background to the job you are applying for. Different job clusters pays differently. Example: Engineering tends to pay better than Administrative sector for equivalent positions (in terms of what they require the job incumbent to perform)

Also, do not focus your career on starting and projected future salary. If you want to join Civil/Public Service, your focus should be 1) how you can contribute in your job's capacity to the betterment of public service for Singapore and 2) skills and competencies you can learn and further enhanced to give yourself a fruitful career.

Nonetheless, I've provided myself as a case study for your reference. I hope you make an informed decision before joining us for our cause in the Civil/Public Service.

Good luck!
You were most likely one of those who benefit from the public sector wide salary review back in either 2014 or 2015. Those of MX11a and below have their salary increased. There was also another round of salary revision back in 2011. So those who worked then would have had their salary revised twice. That is why they can reach 6k within 5 years or less.

If its normal economy with no salary revision, it is almost impossible to hit 6k within 5 years, not without promoting twice at least. Realistically, if you start off with mid 3k, you can reach 5k within 5 years. That is more realistic and achievable.
Old 14-12-2016, 12:01 PM
Unregistered

Quote:
You were most likely one of those who benefit from the public sector wide salary review back in either 2014 or 2015. Those of MX11a and below have their salary increased. There was also another round of salary revision back in 2011. So those who worked then would have had their salary revised twice. That is why they can reach 6k within 5 years or less.

If its normal economy with no salary revision, it is almost impossible to hit 6k within 5 years, not without promoting twice at least. Realistically, if you start off with mid 3k, you can reach 5k within 5 years. That is more realistic and achievable.
Growth in recent years has been slow and yet there were 2 salary revisions in the last 5 years. It seems safe to assume that there would be salary revisions every few years unless the economy goes into recession.

Am I right to say that annual increments for graduates just starting out in the civil service are in the range of $200-$300?
Old 14-12-2016, 12:13 PM
Unregistered

That's really impressive!

But I hate to burst the bubble for potential applicants, this case is really atypical. Mid 3.5K to near 6K in 5 years is not impossible but very rare (even more rare in 3 years). Within each pay grade, your annual pay increment (MI) is more or less fixed with a small percentage band (go check it out if you don't believe). When you get a promotion, the increment is roughly double that (for lower pay grade). Without significant pay revision or Benchmarking, it is near impossible to have such big jumps in pay. And the thing is, most benchmarking to industry exercise has already been done recently. And going forward, given the dim outlook, not likely to have any more for the next few years at least.

Quote:

Good luck!

Old 14-12-2016, 12:21 PM
Unregistered

Just to add on, though salary is an important consideration for young people just entering the workforce, if you are to join the service, you must believe in what you do is serving the nation. Despite the negative comments in this forum or elsewhere, you are doing a job no one else can do or at least not willing to do. If not, you will be very miserable in your time here and wouldn't last very long.
Old 14-12-2016, 01:54 PM
Takeitwithapinchofsalt

Quote:
That's really impressive!

But I hate to burst the bubble for potential applicants, this case is really atypical. Mid 3.5K to near 6K in 5 years is not impossible but very rare (even more rare in 3 years). Within each pay grade, your annual pay increment (MI) is more or less fixed with a small percentage band (go check it out if you don't believe). When you get a promotion, the increment is roughly double that (for lower pay grade). Without significant pay revision or Benchmarking, it is near impossible to have such big jumps in pay. And the thing is, most benchmarking to industry exercise has already been done recently. And going forward, given the dim outlook, not likely to have any more for the next few years at least.
Okay, I must agree my case is atypical. Nevertheless, I was pointing out that it is possible to make the jump. Please take my comments with a pinch of salt (Hence, my forum nick).

To paint a clearer picture, the increment from Mid 3k to near 6k was largely contributed to MIs and promotion increment. With promotion to a different band, I was able to command better MI in subsequent years. Also, I have received consistent "B" grading. I think that motivated better annual MI.

To reinforce the point made earlier, it is better to focus on the purpose of entering public service and the drive to excel in your job. Promotion & better MI will come naturally with that.
Old 22-12-2016, 11:40 AM
Unregistered

Default what is MX12B

Hi all, i am being offered a MX 12B position in stat board.
what is the difference between MX 12 & 12B?
Thanks!
Old 22-12-2016, 12:04 PM
Unregistered

I have worked in banking for 8 years with DL degree in Finance. Anyone advise is it hard for me to get into CS?