Salary.sg Forums  

Go Back   Salary.sg Forums > The Salary.sg Discussion Forums: > Income and Jobs

Income and Jobs Discuss jobs, career options and of course salaries

Compare civil service salary

Old 28-09-2014, 10:06 PM
Unregistered

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unregistered View Post
Thanks. I had the impression that all fresh grads had to begin at MX13, but this shows otherwise. Are both the manager and executive manager positions MX13?
Assistant manager at AVA is mx13, executive manager is mx12, senior exec manager is mx11

Old 28-09-2014, 10:59 PM
Unregistered

Quote:
Will you be managing a team? You mentioned that you have 12 years experience. Is it directly relevant to this new role?

Ceiling for mx11 is 7119

nope. no team. what is the increment like for B grader? That means I am getting quite close to ceiling. Will they promote me within 1-2 years? If not I will hit ceiling...

Old 28-09-2014, 11:34 PM
Unregistered

Quote:
Assistant manager at AVA is mx13, executive manager is mx12, senior exec manager is mx11
Think they have dropped the designation of assistant manager few years back. Freshies all start at mx12 now.

Old 28-09-2014, 11:54 PM
Unregistered

Quote:
nope. no team. what is the increment like for B grader? That means I am getting quite close to ceiling. Will they promote me within 1-2 years? If not I will hit ceiling...
Are u taking pay cut for this new role?

How old are you?

It's possible to get promoted within two years, if you get two Bs.
Old 29-09-2014, 08:41 AM
Unregistered

Quote:
Policy divisions in CS/PS tend to have high visibility and decent exposure, and those in such roles tend to be more mobile across divisions in the same agency or CS/PS in general. Options are either to rise in rank in the same agency, or to move to other agencies to become more adept at policy formulation from a Whole of Government (WOG) perspective.

As many others may have already mentioned, Policy divisions in general have a good concentration of scholars and intelligent folks in general. AOs who are on rotation tend to be placed in such divisions. AOs and scholars aside, agencies do try their best to retain other competent individuals in such roles. Such roles require a good deal of brainpower (e.g. think far enough ahead), due diligence (e.g. consider a scenario from all perspectives), attitude (e.g. be prepared to stand corrected), writing skills (i.e. need to be able to articulate a position clearly and concisely) as well as decent presentation skills.
Thanks for the detailed explanation. From your reply, it does seem that policy formulation is not too bad if one intends to remain in PS/CS for a long period of time. As highlighted by other folks, it is relatively hard to get out of CS/PS after extended periods of time as the skills gained are not directly transferable to the pte sector. Being 32 yrs of age with 5 yrs of pte sector engrr exp, do u tink tat it is too early for me to join the public sector? Another q: Assuming an above average performance, (ie B grade in the context of PS), what is the expected time frame to progress thru the ranks within the same agency? Kindly advise. Thks.
Old 29-09-2014, 01:52 PM
Unregistered

Sharing my personal experience. Started out at the finance ministry in 2011 as a fresh grad with 2nd upper from local uni, not a scholar, MX13, 3.6k. Pay rise to 4k in my second year. For those with the thinking that CS/PS gives you work-life balance you might be misled. High profile ministries usually deal with alot of work on a daily basis, and fresh grad/new hires bear the blunt of it. I felt burnt out when i approached my second year and took a year off, quit the job to pursue my personal interests.

Came back this year to find a job, and I learnt that it's not easy to find a job in the private sector, given that work in the CS is usually general and niche (at least for what I did for my first job) Applied for 3 SB positions and landed myself in one dealing with the finance industry. Got a 5% increment from my last drawn, and my SB doesnt follow the MX grading. So far it's looking a lot better than my ex-ministry job, and there seems to be decent career prospects within the organisation.

My advice is that for those looking to join CS/PS, find out more about the job description and maybe from friends who are working in a similar position. Be prepared to work with the mindset that you will be here for the long run, it will pay you decently well, but probably less than your equivalent in the private sector. You will also need to bear in mind you might be passed on for promotions, given that competition is as tough. If not tougher than the private sector.

Old 29-09-2014, 02:32 PM
Unregistered

I agree with the post immediately above. Its really not a bed of roses in CS esp with increased public engagement and scrutiny. Have also seen officers getting shelled by senior
management at meetings, so you definitely are held accountable for
the work you do
Old 29-09-2014, 04:11 PM
Unregistered

Quote:
I agree with the post immediately above. Its really not a bed of roses in CS esp with increased public engagement and scrutiny. Have also seen officers getting shelled by senior
management at meetings, so you definitely are held accountable for
the work you do
That is a good thing for our country, no? Or should civil servants not be accountable?
Old 29-09-2014, 05:58 PM
Unregistered

Quote:
Sharing my personal experience. Started out at the finance ministry in 2011 as a fresh grad with 2nd upper from local uni, not a scholar, MX13, 3.6k. Pay rise to 4k in my second year. For those with the thinking that CS/PS gives you work-life balance you might be misled. High profile ministries usually deal with alot of work on a daily basis, and fresh grad/new hires bear the blunt of it. I felt burnt out when i approached my second year and took a year off, quit the job to pursue my personal interests.

Came back this year to find a job, and I learnt that it's not easy to find a job in the private sector, given that work in the CS is usually general and niche (at least for what I did for my first job) Applied for 3 SB positions and landed myself in one dealing with the finance industry. Got a 5% increment from my last drawn, and my SB doesnt follow the MX grading. So far it's looking a lot better than my ex-ministry job, and there seems to be decent career prospects within the organisation.

My advice is that for those looking to join CS/PS, find out more about the job description and maybe from friends who are working in a similar position. Be prepared to work with the mindset that you will be here for the long run, it will pay you decently well, but probably less than your equivalent in the private sector. You will also need to bear in mind you might be passed on for promotions, given that competition is as tough. If not tougher than the private sector.
I plan to apply to SBs and was wondering what's an appropriate expected salary to indicate. I'm currently in a ministry.

You mentioned that this SB gave you a 5% increment from your last drawn salary.
Did they meet your expected salary?
Old 29-09-2014, 06:11 PM
Unregistered

Quote:
I plan to apply to SBs and was wondering what's an appropriate expected salary to indicate. I'm currently in a ministry.

You mentioned that this SB gave you a 5% increment from your last drawn salary.
Did they meet your expected salary?
I landed the SB position having gone on a 1 year sabbatical so i was happy with starting back off at my last drawn pay which was 4k. They gave me 5% more on top of this so you can say it was above what I expected.

I noticed that the bonuses and benefits at the SB is also better than the package I got when i was at the ministry, so yep no complaints.