Salary.sg Forums  

Go Back   Salary.sg Forums > The Salary.sg Discussion Forums: > Income and Jobs

Income and Jobs Discuss jobs, career options and of course salaries

Compare civil service salary

Old 29-06-2014, 04:16 PM
Unregistered

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unregistered View Post
in which year do you have your promotion?
you stat board under which ministry?

from 2012 to 2013, 3680 to 4040 = + 360 = +8.9% annual increment? so much? does it include promotion??

Same for 2013 to 2014 = annual increment = +$360 so much?

what is advance increment?

Are you a average C performer or B performer?

360 annual increment is like my 2 years of annual increment in my GLC company.

me also 2nd lower + ns (2007 batch ntu)

Thank u
I am c performer.

It's advancement increment within same mx12 salary range.

I think my progression still below avg in cs but maybe still faster than in glc.

Old 29-06-2014, 05:26 PM
Unregistered

Default Any very knowledgeable people out there? welcome all useful and helpful comments

RE:The HUGE income rift within the civil service, what graduates would expect when joining the civil service, climbing the arduous corporate ladder and many other heart burning issues and general information which should be understood and made publicly available. A multitude of questions in general!

pretext:There are somethings I would like to clarify for the civil service in Singapore context,because primarily its the largest employer with the providence of an iron rice bowl, good job stability and although promotions are few and far in between, some private sector people do seriously consider crossing over to the public sector because of perks and privileges not present in their turf.It is worth understanding the system before committing our entire careers and making important decisions.

Questions section:
1.what is the difference between the SR9 grade and the MX10 superscale salary grade? I heard and read extensively that elite administrative service officers will get after bonuses and everything included-$370,000-400,000 BEFORE TAX salary right? and in sharp contrast the MX10 salary scale rungs which pays around $10,000-11,000 a month is relatively easy to get. Please correct me if wrong.
-Our assumptions must be male university graduate, take into account 2 years of sucking thumb in the military arena,graduating at age 25-26 for polytechnic and JC pathway, he immediately works in a statutory board or a ministry or any other government linked company. and He is a good performer.
-Lets also assume he is NOT a scholar, just a good university student,very ultra hardworking and got a good degree, good work performance and outshines his peers in whatever industry within the government sector-PUB,SAF, MINDEF, MICA, GIC, TOTALISER BOARD, MOH, MOE, MHA etc.

2.How do we know how much bonuses do civil servants generally receive, why are there performance benchmarks like grade A,B,C,D,E and promotions, bonuses and salary adjustments are awarded according to these factors of individual and economy wide performance?

3.I am very interested to know how long it takes for a good NON-scholar NUS,NTU,SMU graduate to reach MX11, 10, 9? Ok we all understand full well the harsh reality that not all university graduates are brainy and ultra intelligent policy makers and rulers, most just fulfilled their parents wishes and hope to get a stable job, rejecting the iron rice bowl mentality, fight very dauntlessly and ferociously to defeat their peers and reach their target income, although added responsibilities and job scope will follow suit. But I am very sure that for plenty of people say 80% of supposedly smart by products of the singaporean style of education , these entrants into civil service will seek to become directors and assistant directors,wrong or right? On this note of focusing on promotion timeframe and career development and other opportunities, the next question will undoubtedly focus on the remuneration and salary ranges.

4. In a continuation to question 2, there are several tiers of bonus rewards tied to the overall economic, department, individual performance throughout the whole year, appraisal will be done to gauge the level of determinable bonuses to each employee in the MX or management executive scheme. So my question is what will a generally good, 20-30% above average(75th percentile+) MX11,10,9 appointment holder employee get in terms of basic salary PLUS bonuses for the financial year end across the various ministeries and statutory boards? It is very important to know roughly how much this 3 grades salaries are computed so as to benchmark against the private sector and make it worthwhile to consider joining the government sector.

5.How does the civil service compensation scheme works in the SAF compared to their non-uniformed services peers. For instance if you are a SLTC in commandos or deputy commander of a brigade/formation/division/unit,supposedly thats already a very high ranker in the military. Don't tell me that the maximum BASIC salary is only $16,540 and it would virtually be impossible to break the glass ceiling? what about the generals, does it imply generals or senior high ranking military officers get 10 months bonus yearly? how fair and well structured and compensated are these people in accordance to the general guiding principles of the government service?

Old 29-06-2014, 11:15 PM
Unregistered

Quote:
RE:The HUGE income rift within the civil service, what graduates would expect when joining the civil service, climbing the arduous corporate ladder and many other heart burning issues and general information which should be understood and made publicly available. A multitude of questions in general!

pretext:There are somethings I would like to clarify for the civil service in Singapore context,because primarily its the largest employer with the providence of an iron rice bowl, good job stability and although promotions are few and far in between, some private sector people do seriously consider crossing over to the public sector because of perks and privileges not present in their turf.It is worth understanding the system before committing our entire careers and making important decisions.

Questions section:
1.what is the difference between the SR9 grade and the MX10 superscale salary grade? I heard and read extensively that elite administrative service officers will get after bonuses and everything included-$370,000-400,000 BEFORE TAX salary right? and in sharp contrast the MX10 salary scale rungs which pays around $10,000-11,000 a month is relatively easy to get. Please correct me if wrong.
-Our assumptions must be male university graduate, take into account 2 years of sucking thumb in the military arena,graduating at age 25-26 for polytechnic and JC pathway, he immediately works in a statutory board or a ministry or any other government linked company. and He is a good performer.
-Lets also assume he is NOT a scholar, just a good university student,very ultra hardworking and got a good degree, good work performance and outshines his peers in whatever industry within the government sector-PUB,SAF, MINDEF, MICA, GIC, TOTALISER BOARD, MOH, MOE, MHA etc.

2.How do we know how much bonuses do civil servants generally receive, why are there performance benchmarks like grade A,B,C,D,E and promotions, bonuses and salary adjustments are awarded according to these factors of individual and economy wide performance?

3.I am very interested to know how long it takes for a good NON-scholar NUS,NTU,SMU graduate to reach MX11, 10, 9? Ok we all understand full well the harsh reality that not all university graduates are brainy and ultra intelligent policy makers and rulers, most just fulfilled their parents wishes and hope to get a stable job, rejecting the iron rice bowl mentality, fight very dauntlessly and ferociously to defeat their peers and reach their target income, although added responsibilities and job scope will follow suit. But I am very sure that for plenty of people say 80% of supposedly smart by products of the singaporean style of education , these entrants into civil service will seek to become directors and assistant directors,wrong or right? On this note of focusing on promotion timeframe and career development and other opportunities, the next question will undoubtedly focus on the remuneration and salary ranges.

4. In a continuation to question 2, there are several tiers of bonus rewards tied to the overall economic, department, individual performance throughout the whole year, appraisal will be done to gauge the level of determinable bonuses to each employee in the MX or management executive scheme. So my question is what will a generally good, 20-30% above average(75th percentile+) MX11,10,9 appointment holder employee get in terms of basic salary PLUS bonuses for the financial year end across the various ministeries and statutory boards? It is very important to know roughly how much this 3 grades salaries are computed so as to benchmark against the private sector and make it worthwhile to consider joining the government sector.

5.How does the civil service compensation scheme works in the SAF compared to their non-uniformed services peers. For instance if you are a SLTC in commandos or deputy commander of a brigade/formation/division/unit,supposedly thats already a very high ranker in the military. Don't tell me that the maximum BASIC salary is only $16,540 and it would virtually be impossible to break the glass ceiling? what about the generals, does it imply generals or senior high ranking military officers get 10 months bonus yearly? how fair and well structured and compensated are these people in accordance to the general guiding principles of the government service?
jus go to the private sector... ur entire post is so focused on salary and promotion.
public service is not where u will be earning the top money (or maybe not even the top 30%)... unless u are a tier one scholar.

Old 30-06-2014, 09:45 AM
Unregistered

Sometimes it is not how much you earn but how much u save and how u invest yr savings that matter more.

Saved about 30k peryear fir the last few years and invested in a 1 bedder near mrt about to TOP soon. And took an equity loan as my terrace doubled in value the last 4 years, to buy a semi d in jb. After I rent out my 1 bedder for 2500 per mth, it can cover my equity loan and the 1 bedder mortgage and I can rent out my terrace to have passive income of at least 2k which converted to rm is 5000rm, higher than their average income. I can then retire or semiretire in jb....in a way achieving financial freedom...which is the ultimate aim in life...
Old 30-06-2014, 12:47 PM
Unregistered

Quote:
Sometimes it is not how much you earn but how much u save and how u invest yr savings that matter more.

Saved about 30k peryear fir the last few years and invested in a 1 bedder near mrt about to TOP soon. And took an equity loan as my terrace doubled in value the last 4 years, to buy a semi d in jb. After I rent out my 1 bedder for 2500 per mth, it can cover my equity loan and the 1 bedder mortgage and I can rent out my terrace to have passive income of at least 2k which converted to rm is 5000rm, higher than their average income. I can then retire or semiretire in jb....in a way achieving financial freedom...which is the ultimate aim in life...
There are some things I would like to take time to clarify here:

But if you earn much more than your peers, in this case you mentioned that its not how much you earn but how much you save and invest your savings that matter more. there are some loopholes in that argument that having a high salary is not important.

1. A cleaner at a hawker centre in shenton way lau pa sat earning $1000 IS NOT GOING to outdo financially a UBS financial controller or a government based scholar working in GIC going for lunch at lau pa sat, with a monthly NET income minus taxes hovering at $25,000. Reason is pretty simple, no matter how much frugality and financial street-smartness that auntie has in financial products,she has daily necessities to meet how much can she save or invest to earn her right to financial freedom?

This may sound extreme but even in more realistic comparisons here with say an SAF army captain who earns around $6000 a month, after his personal expenses and family obligations is left with $2500/month and $30,000 per year savings. Of course at his disposal is plenty of investment choices through real estate, properties, stocks and commodities and other insurance backed investment alternatives. Sure, but if the government scholar or MX10 grader is able to get a lower percentage of spending, higher savings ratio and is more frugal than a lower income person, he reaches his goals much much much earlier, he will have the last laugh. time is money indeed.

Some mathematics involvement here-say for example the government scholar at 40 MX8 and below commands $360,000 NET salary, has a household size of 6 people, each spending personal expenses of $3500 a month is still going to cause a leftover financial backing of $108,000 per year or 3.6x as much, I am sure his options will be much wider.

For all these reasons of achieving financial freedom fast, for most young people in their early twenties and thirties this sis extremely important and cannot be overstated. I have therefore requested to know what is the NORMAL maximum rank in civil service departments/agencies which a university graduate can attain the best possible job prospects and book a spot on the financial freedom roadmap to success. But I am not sure people understand my intentions of asking the multitude of questions in my previous long post. They thought I was trying to glamorize and make unfair comparisons of the private sector and government sector, for which they have sorely missed the point.

Understandably the civil service comprises the largest workforce which employs plenty of university graduates of all degrees and honours levels, so it makes sense that we makes sense of the pay scales and ranges of the "management executive scheme" concept and stop avoiding the question of how much is the compensation because avoidance for such questions cannot help us understand the way our graduates are being paid.

I therefore think its good for us as general knowledge to know upfront how much does a civil servant in their various roles and responsibilities in the workforce, for ONLY university graduates in the Management executive scheme will be compensated as getting a degree is such a norm today, that basically evading this question or creating asocial stigma when it comes to transparency of pay issues is discussed.

I welcome anybody to direct me to previous postings or new information regarding such interesting eye opener pay issues,to cast light on this seemingly touchy topic, which shouldnt be the case, because knowledge is better than ignorance.
Old 30-06-2014, 06:03 PM
Unregistered

Quote:
I started work in Jun 11.

2011 - $3250 start pay then adjusted to $3360
2012 - $3560 (Increment $200 then adjusted to $3680)
2013 - $4040 (Annual increment $360)
2014 - $4600 (Annual increment $360 + advancement increment $200)

Still at mx12 equivalent now.
Sorry but what's an advancement increment? Are you sure you're not on any programme, and an average performer (C Grade)? Cause your annual increment is more than 10% (for year 2013). I would be very interested to know which agency is so generous.

Started work in 2010, now slightly above $5k. Non scholar, local grad with NS.

Old 01-07-2014, 11:40 AM
Unregistered

Is IDA GLC or CS ?
Anyone know how many month of bonus IDA give ? is the bonus for IDA same as CS i.e with AWS + Growth bonus +performance bonus ?
Old 01-07-2014, 07:12 PM
Unregistered

Default Im lost

Im so impressed by how all of you are earning over 100k per annum!? im just a diploma graduate and going for a degree in SIT, whats your thoughts and advices on it as some of you here are really experienced it seems and doing well

Help me out here,im scared and kinda in need of advices.What would you tell the kid whos about to get into the working industry? btw im 22 since i just did my NS
Old 03-07-2014, 12:19 AM

hollahilla is on a distinguished road

hello peeps! new to this forum just wanted to ask if you request to transfer across different ministry do you get to keep your mx rank or restart?
Old 03-07-2014, 11:06 AM
Unregistered

Quote:
Originally Posted by hollahilla View Post
hello peeps! new to this forum just wanted to ask if you request to transfer across different ministry do you get to keep your mx rank or restart?
You get to keep. There's a circular on this.