Compare civil service salary

Old 11-05-2014, 11:21 AM
Verified Member

name_less_user is on a distinguished road

Updated my NS status.

Quote:
Originally Posted by name_less_user View Post
Hi Esteemed Forumers,

I'm in the midst of considering a mid-career switch to the public service.

Having experienced the vicissitudes of my career progression in the private sector, where I've been short changed, thrown into the deep end of the pool and left to my own devices in an extremely stagnant environment, the stability and security of a public service career too appeals to me.

My background:
- Diploma with Merit in Mechanical Engineering (Top student, received LKY Award).

- Overseas scholarship awarded by a statutory board in collaboration with an industry partner.

- 1st Class BEng (Hons) in Mechanical Engineering UMIST, UK. (Top student, top university project).

- MSc Mechanical Engineering, NUS.

- Original arrangement was for me to serve my 6 year bond with the said industry partner. However, they decided to cease their operations in Singapore before my graduation. At that juncture, the statutory board immediately intervened and I made a conscious decision to have my bond transferred to a semiconductor company for industrial exposure and practice instead of taking up the offer to join the statutory board.

- Spent 6 years engaging in semiconductor technology development and systems strategy and design.

- Current annual package is a very modest $55000 (includes AWS + less than 2 months bonus).

- Now exploring public service opportunities in policy formulation, organisational development or research and analysis.

- Completed 2.5 years NS.

Queries
1) Would my background and experience be deemed unattractive or irrelevant to public agencies?

2) Also, I would like to hear everyone's comments on whether my current unattractive package would undermine the terms of any offer that I might receive from the public service agencies.

3) What would be the likely job grade and pay package that I should expect?

Cheers & Thanks!

Primary School English Grammar and Vocabulary Drills
Primary School English Grammar and Vocabulary Drills

SG Bus Timing App
SG Bus Timing App - the best bus app - available on iOS and Android

Bursa Stocks Android App - check share prices
Bursa Stocks [Android] App - check latest share prices on the go

SGX Stocks Android App - check share prices
SGX Stocks [Android] App - check latest share prices on the go

SGX Stocks for iPad - check latest Singapore share prices
SGX Stocks [iPad] app
| SGX Stocks [iPhone] app
Old 11-05-2014, 12:00 PM
Verified Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unregistered View Post
Wah 55k total? That's like 4k a month? N u got a master?? Ur coy really exploiting u to the max... Plz move on quickly
Thank you for affirming my assessment of the situation. I don't mean to air my grievances here but my predicament did not end with the unfair salary.

I experienced my first pay cut before my first increment, had my wages frozen due to market conditions, had bosses and HR not recognise my background and aptitude, had an ill managed career path, had multiple bosses who deserted the team at the first hint of unfavourable conditions and was subjected to a corporate culture that does not reward for performance and potential. The company was making losses and failed to provide a clear outlook on the future of the organisation.

I held on for one thing and one thing only - I honour my scholarship liabilities and feel a deep sense of accountability to the taxpayers and statutory board who had faith in my abilities.

Now that I've dutifully completed my bond, you're right - it is indeed time to move on.

Cheers!

Old 11-05-2014, 12:14 PM
Unregistered

Glad to hear that you are moving on. Which UK university did you study in?

Quote:
Thank you for affirming my assessment of the situation. I don't mean to air my grievances here but my predicament did not end with the unfair salary.

I experienced my first pay cut before my first increment, had my wages frozen due to market conditions, had bosses and HR not recognise my background and aptitude, had an ill managed career path, had multiple bosses who deserted the team at the first hint of unfavourable conditions and was subjected to a corporate culture that does not reward for performance and potential. The company was making losses and failed to provide a clear outlook on the future of the organisation.

I held on for one thing and one thing only - I honour my scholarship liabilities and feel a deep sense of accountability to the taxpayers and statutory board who had faith in my abilities.

Now that I've dutifully completed my bond, you're right - it is indeed time to move on.

Cheers!

Old 11-05-2014, 12:31 PM
Verified Member

Quote:
Glad to hear that you are moving on. Which UK university did you study in?
I obtained my first degree at the University of Manchester Institute of Science & Technology (UMIST) in the UK. It is now known as the University of Manchester following a merger exercise sometime in 2005/2006.

Turned down offers from more prestigious universities such as Imperial College as what UMIST had to offer complemented my learning aspirations better. Thankful that it was fully supported by my sponsors as it was ranked one of the top few universities in the UK in my chosen area of studies.
Old 11-05-2014, 03:06 PM
Unregistered

dunno wat pay u can expect as a mid-career entrant... but even a fresh grad with first class in engineering related position can easily get a low 4k per month + AWS + bonus.

with ur masters n years of experience... any offer they give will definitely be much higher than wat ur current coy is paying.
Old 11-05-2014, 05:06 PM
Unregistered

Quote:
Hi Esteemed Forumers,

I'm in the midst of considering a mid-career switch to the public service.

Having experienced the vicissitudes of my career progression in the private sector, where I've been short changed, thrown into the deep end of the pool and left to my own devices in an extremely stagnant environment, the stability and security of a public service career too appeals to me.

My background:
- Diploma with Merit in Mechanical Engineering (Top student, received LKY Award).

- Overseas scholarship awarded by a statutory board in collaboration with an industry partner.

- 1st Class BEng (Hons) in Mechanical Engineering UMIST, UK. (Top student, top university project).

- MSc Mechanical Engineering, NUS.

- Original arrangement was for me to serve my 6 year bond with the said industry partner. However, they decided to cease their operations in Singapore before my graduation. At that juncture, the statutory board immediately intervened and I made a conscious decision to have my bond transferred to a semiconductor company for industrial exposure and practice instead of taking up the offer to join the statutory board.

- Spent 6 years engaging in semiconductor technology development and systems strategy and design.

- Current annual package is a very modest $55000 (includes AWS + less than 2 months bonus).

- Now exploring public service opportunities in policy formulation, organisational development or research and analysis.

Queries
1) Would my background and experience be deemed unattractive or irrelevant to public agencies?

2) Also, I would like to hear everyone's comments on whether my current unattractive package would undermine the terms of any offer that I might receive from the public service agencies.

Cheers & Thanks!
You could really get a much better package in public service. However, would recommend you to go for jobs which is relevant to your experience (engineering) instead of something new like policy formulation, OD (your past experience would be worthless). Examples of Govt Agencies which requires engineering background include DSTA, DSO, ASTAR, LTA etc.

Old 11-05-2014, 05:33 PM
Unregistered

Actually a lot of you here are wrong.

Because UK engineering degrees are only 3 years, graduates from UK universities must take 1-year masters degree before being recognised by the engineering board here in singapore. Technically, on an engineering standpoint, an engineering masters from the UK is actually equivalent to an honours engineering degree here in SG. Well, this is true as of now, not sure what it was like 6-7 years ago.

Even if your bachelors was from UCL or ICL, the PEB here will still not recognise you as an accredited engineer, because they feel that the short 3-year curriculum is not substantial enough to call yourself an engineer. The 4 year degrees here by NUS/NTU actually cover more and hence, is equivalent to a masters in UK. The masters degree that is undertaken in the UK is also merely coursework. So its quite like a 4th year here under NUS/NTU.
Old 11-05-2014, 06:53 PM
towers

Quote:
I wanted to practise what I've learned from my years of engineering training, which explained why I did not take up the statutory board offer at that instance.

Looking back, the whole episode made me a more resilient and composed individual. I've enjoyed the joys of working in a cohesive team and participated in stimulating technology development projects.

But I unreservedly agree with you that I suffered a financial penalty for my decision. Nonetheless, I've to ultimately put food on the table and a tenure beyond my bond with the company is unsustainable.

Wonder if anyone can shed some light on my queries?

1) Civil service is generalistic. Your background/experience shouldn't matter, especially if you're going into policy/strategy side. I had zero relevant experience, and I still got the job.

2) civil service is also pretty fair with pay. They will not undercut you just because you are on a much lower package now. It will be comensurate with your qualifications and experience.

3) I was an overseas scholar too, top student from a top London uni. I left in between to join the private sector, then rejoined the service with about 7 years working experience. I was offered slightly more than 6.5k base. Average annual bonuses at my board are 4-5 months. I got about 7 months in my first year. I reckon you should get offered around 5.5-6k. Hence your annual should easily hit at least 80k.

In fact, I think you would be looked on favorably for having chosen to serve out your bond. Shows that you are not a job hopper.
Old 11-05-2014, 07:02 PM
towers

Quote:
I applied for so many positions for the past few months and didn't get called up for interview at all. The status got a few "unsuccessful/kept for future reference" and the rest are still "submitted".

What did I do wrong here?

I am applying for those assistant director/deputy director/director and asking 8k.

Reasonable?
You are probably pricing yourself out of the market. How many years of exp do you have / what is your current base?
Old 11-05-2014, 07:46 PM
Unregistered

Quote:
Actually a lot of you here are wrong.

Because UK engineering degrees are only 3 years, graduates from UK universities must take 1-year masters degree before being recognised by the engineering board here in singapore. Technically, on an engineering standpoint, an engineering masters from the UK is actually equivalent to an honours engineering degree here in SG. Well, this is true as of now, not sure what it was like 6-7 years ago.

Even if your bachelors was from UCL or ICL, the PEB here will still not recognise you as an accredited engineer, because they feel that the short 3-year curriculum is not substantial enough to call yourself an engineer. The 4 year degrees here by NUS/NTU actually cover more and hence, is equivalent to a masters in UK. The masters degree that is undertaken in the UK is also merely coursework. So its quite like a 4th year here under NUS/NTU.
his master is from nus tho.