Compare civil service salary - Page 328 - Salary.sg Forums
Salary.sg Forums  

Go Back   Salary.sg Forums > The Salary.sg Discussion Forums: > Income and Jobs

Income and Jobs Discuss jobs, career options and of course salaries

Compare civil service salary

Old 12-12-2013, 03:46 PM
Unregistered

Im not sure if i sld post in this thread... but since there are alot of civil servants who frequent here, i figure it might be a good place to ask for advice.

I just got a notification for an INTERNSHIP interview with CPF... does any bros here got any tips on what i sld expect from the interview?

Sorry if the question seems very noob... but i have very limited interview experience and im very keen in the project topic... so i wish to be as well prepared as i can.

Old 12-12-2013, 05:12 PM
Unregistered

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unregistered View Post
I found the non-parent ministry myself. Secondment is offered by the ministry not by the SB HR. My original intention was to resign from SB then join the ministry like you but din expect the ministry to offer me secondment instead. I guess this trick is still uncommon since most people I surveyed resigned from their SB job b4 joining the ministry instead of taking the secondment path.
Perhaps you can ask them why secondment instead of hiring? It could be that they are experiencing headcount freeze, and the only way they can take you in is through secondment. That being the case, I see no reason why not to take it up if it will help you in your career advancement.

Old 14-12-2013, 04:13 PM
Unregistered

I am thinking of doing an overseas postgraduate degree and getting my organisation to sponsor it. Would it be possible?

Old 16-12-2013, 12:09 PM
Unregistered

Quote:
I am thinking of doing an overseas postgraduate degree and getting my organisation to sponsor it. Would it be possible?
Sorry to say this, but shouldn't you ask your own organisation for this?? Usually most agencies will have some sort of scholarships for post-graduate studies, for officers whom they think are high potentials. If you've never heard of it in your organisation, it could mean that your organisation don't give a hoot about talent development, or you're simply not cut out to receive scholarships.

Best way to do is to ask your supervisor, then ask HR.
Old 16-12-2013, 12:13 PM
Unregistered

Quote:
Im not sure if i sld post in this thread... but since there are alot of civil servants who frequent here, i figure it might be a good place to ask for advice.

I just got a notification for an INTERNSHIP interview with CPF... does any bros here got any tips on what i sld expect from the interview?

Sorry if the question seems very noob... but i have very limited interview experience and im very keen in the project topic... so i wish to be as well prepared as i can.
Sorry if I sound harsh, but telling you the interview questions defeats the purpose of having interviews isn't it? If you're good, you're good and will ace through interviews. Granted there are some who are just not good at interviews (despite being good at other stuff), it only shows that you may not be cut out for this job. Being in public sector means loads of writing and presentation, to both junior and very senior stakeholders.

How will you hold your own fort then? No wonder the quality of public servants ain't as high as they used to be anymore.
Old 16-12-2013, 12:36 PM
Unregistered

Quote:
Sorry if I sound harsh, but telling you the interview questions defeats the purpose of having interviews isn't it? If you're good, you're good and will ace through interviews. Granted there are some who are just not good at interviews (despite being good at other stuff), it only shows that you may not be cut out for this job. Being in public sector means loads of writing and presentation, to both junior and very senior stakeholders.

How will you hold your own fort then? No wonder the quality of public servants ain't as high as they used to be anymore.
he is spending effort to prepare for an interview and that is a considered as a low quality worker? nice logic.

Old 16-12-2013, 02:02 PM
Unregistered

this poster should have just shut up if he/she has nothing better to say.

Quote:

Old 16-12-2013, 03:57 PM
Unregistered

Quote:
he is spending effort to prepare for an interview and that is a considered as a low quality worker? nice logic.
To be honest that's akin to playing cheat. Try asking your teacher for questions to the exams and see if you'll get it?
Old 16-12-2013, 04:00 PM
Unregistered

Quote:
this poster should have just shut up if he/she has nothing better to say.
I think the poster has said something worth thinking. Getting your way by cheating only shows how "good" you are. There is nothing wrong with asking generic tips for interview, but by asking what questions and what to expect for a specific interview is nothing short of cheating. It's like telling the world "Damn I want it badly but I'm afraid I'm not good enough to score, so those who know please tell me".

Really just shows how much caliber the person has isn't it?
Old 16-12-2013, 05:43 PM
Unregistered

How did asking to know what interviewers would ask (even specific ones) become cheating? Did the interviewers tell the interviewees not to divulge the questions to others? Did the interviewees sign any NDA (non disclosure agreement) with the interviewers? If none of the above occurs, then there is nothing wrong for prospective interviewees to ask and nothing wrong for past interviewees to share.

The line is drawn however if the prospective interviewee also asked how to answer the questions. Then they are not using their own thought process and knowledge in tackling the questions.

For my company, our questions to the interviewee (after the usual generic ones) are very technical in nature. They have to know their stuff otherwise their ignorance will be exposed easily. So in this case, if they did their homework and asked what questions will be asked, they would still need to do reading up, polishing up their knowledge and fundamentals.

Quote:
I think the poster has said something worth thinking. Getting your way by cheating only shows how "good" you are. There is nothing wrong with asking generic tips for interview, but by asking what questions and what to expect for a specific interview is nothing short of cheating. It's like telling the world "Damn I want it badly but I'm afraid I'm not good enough to score, so those who know please tell me".

Really just shows how much caliber the person has isn't it?