Old 11-04-2013, 12:17 AM
Unregistered

Default content has to be read carefully, with a fully discerning mind

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unregistered View Post
ok im the dude that posted the above

read thru the rest of the thread n saw a few posters bashing me

let me assure that im not a dua kang

my role gives me visibility to senior management......it's not a daily thing but i sometimes attend meetings wif directors from other depts when my bosses r busy

my PG (2011) was C
PG (2012) - B
PG (2013) - B and promoted to MX11

my direct superiors gave me an 'A' in both years but i was moderated down to a 'B'.
The poster said that his salary scheme is based on the MX scheme, and now says it is not based on MX scheme. This is the reason that why the discussed content has to be read carefully, with a fully discerning mind.

He also mentioned that he was involved in many stints that allowed him to increase his visibility among the senior management. For your information, many Civil/ Public servants went through the same phase and are not promoted as quickly as the poster did. They also attended meetings on behalf of their directors when they are not free. This is very common in Civil/ Public service. Nothing new. Nothing amazing. Nothing out of this world. No signs of over-achievements. He was just performing his duty.

There are many Civil/ Public servants who work relentlessly over the weekends (some at home while others go back to office to work) in order to provide content support to the ministries, especially during important periods such as speeches and so on. Nothing new. This is expected of them and does not hint any signs of over-achievement.

As what I mentioned earlier, the public service has a structured compensation system that takes into consideration several factors before offering the job or giving the increment. No surprises. You can use excel sheet to calculate the trajectory.

Old 11-04-2013, 01:10 AM
Unregistered

Quote:
I do not know of any scholars who did not get an honours degree.
I don't mean the scholar did so badly he/she couldn't qualify for an hons classification. Some courses and many universities have non-compulsory hons year for their courses. An example is the biz ad programme in NUS. Some people can more than qualify for a good hons but decided the extra year and hons classification doesn't add much value to their already stellar GPA.

Old 11-04-2013, 02:15 AM
Unregistered

i have not encountered such scholars before in the 2 ministries that I have worked in.

For courses with the option of a 4th year with honours (e.g. Computing, FASS), scholars will definitely proceed with it.

For courses without the possibility of honours (just hypothesising for this post but i dont know of any such courses), I dont think any scholars in the right frame of mind will sign up for it.

u seem to be trying very hard to substantiate your case but i do not think there are such instances.

Quote:
I don't mean the scholar did so badly he/she couldn't qualify for an hons classification. Some courses and many universities have non-compulsory hons year for their courses. An example is the biz ad programme in NUS. Some people can more than qualify for a good hons but decided the extra year and hons classification doesn't add much value to their already stellar GPA.
Old 11-04-2013, 09:55 AM

kindaichi is on a distinguished road

Quote:
i have not encountered such scholars before in the 2 ministries that I have worked in.

For courses with the option of a 4th year with honours (e.g. Computing, FASS), scholars will definitely proceed with it.

For courses without the possibility of honours (just hypothesising for this post but i dont know of any such courses), I dont think any scholars in the right frame of mind will sign up for it.

u seem to be trying very hard to substantiate your case but i do not think there are such instances.
many of the unis in UK offers 3 yrs course but all scholars NEED to maintain a GOOD GPA.... whether their uni offers the so called hons degree or not...

n us unis don't offer the hons system...
Old 11-04-2013, 10:03 AM
Missy Merangue

Agreed. GPA has an extensive weightage and as for those embarking on overseas correspondence programs, a.k.a part-time degrees, please work hard and achieve exemplary grades possible. Its not an easy feat working and studying at the same time, but if you ace it, it does reflect your potential and capabilities.

Old 11-04-2013, 10:29 AM
Unregistered

I did my undergraduate degree in Pharmacy in UK under the MOH scholarship. It is a 4 year program and there is an unwritten rule that we ought to get 1st class honours. Likewise, my counterparts from A*Star are also obligated to graduate with good honours.

In the US, they have the "cum laude" classification system which is the equivalent of honours.

Generally speaking...Yes, there is a need for scholars to graduate with good honours. No doubt about it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kindaichi View Post
many of the unis in UK offers 3 yrs course but all scholars NEED to maintain a GOOD GPA.... whether their uni offers the so called hons degree or not...

n us unis don't offer the hons system...
Old 11-04-2013, 11:26 AM
Grace Lim

I'm not sure what those "PULL PULL" and all those previous related postings meant. But if you guys are talking about recommendations, it's risky business. Your CREDIBILITY is at stake. If you're bringing in ex-colleagues just to build your own cliche or "soul groups" or "buddy links", BE CAREFUL. You don't wanna bring in duds who can't perform. It deprives other potential candidates a chance. You look silly in the end.
Old 12-04-2013, 01:00 AM
Unregistered

Quote:
Originally Posted by kindaichi View Post
yah, that is for civil servants in most ministries (maybe MFA pays slightly better becoz of their additional allowance) though...

for people in MINDEF/MHA (uniformed officers only!!!) or high profile stat boards like EDB/MAS/DSTA, it is quite possible for a non-scholar, ave performer to get that kind of salary after 6 yrs of work...

if not, dun even smell tt kind of MI jump
I am turning 28 this year. I grad in 2009 from NUS FASS with a pass with merit. I'm in a stat board and we dun have the MX scheme but something similar. Our entry level is grade 12. I started out with $3k and got an advancement within grade after 2 years. On my third year I got promoted to grade 11 and now earning $5.1k after recent MI.

Now coming to the end of 4th year of service. I do get quite a bit of exposure with some big projects. Am I considered above average? Though I'm not HiPo or scholar.
Old 12-04-2013, 01:02 AM
Unregistered

For a FASS graduate with just a Merit, i think you are above average.

Quote:
I am turning 28 this year. I grad in 2009 from NUS FASS with a pass with merit. I'm in a stat board and we dun have the MX scheme but something similar. Our entry level is grade 12. I started out with $3k and got an advancement within grade after 2 years. On my third year I got promoted to grade 11 and now earning $5.1k after recent MI.

Now coming to the end of 4th year of service. I do get quite a bit of exposure with some big projects. Am I considered above average? Though I'm not HiPo or scholar.