Compare civil service salary - Page 257 - Salary.sg Forums
Salary.sg Forums  

Go Back   Salary.sg Forums > The Salary.sg Discussion Forums: > Income and Jobs

Income and Jobs Discuss jobs, career options and of course salaries

Compare civil service salary

Old 04-03-2013, 08:25 PM
Unregistered

No, future performance is not the only determinant for career advancement. CEP or Career Expected Potential plays an instrumental role in how fast and how far one can go. This is in turn dependent on your degree and other credentials/experience if they do consider it. In my opinion, the degree is still the single most important criterion. If one has a 2nd class upper from NUS/NTU and is below the age of 30, he or she can expect to hit at least MX9 in time to come. There are of course, many other external factors along the way and there are isolated cases too, but I shan't not elaborate here.

UOTE=jobhunter1234;33747]Oh. Meaning local degree might get an initial higher starting salary while the rest depends on future performance. Hmm..then it won't be a bad idea to actually study 2 years private uni than 4 years local uni in that sense. But I think progression will still somehow depends on which uni you are from since govt sector favours local and some other ivy league overseas uni from what has been told by some of my friends. Another poster also stated that graduates from local uni have better chances for future recommendations to take up the role of AM.[/QUOTE]

Old 04-03-2013, 08:43 PM

cslee is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unregistered View Post
No, future performance is not the only determinant for career advancement. CEP or Career Expected Potential plays an instrumental role in how fast and how far one can go. This is in turn dependent on your degree and other credentials/experience if they do consider it. In my opinion, the degree is still the single most important criterion. If one has a 2nd class upper from NUS/NTU and is below the age of 30, he or she can expect to hit at least MX9 in time to come. There are of course, many other external factors along the way and there are isolated cases too, but I shan't not elaborate here.

UOTE=jobhunter1234;33747]Oh. Meaning local degree might get an initial higher starting salary while the rest depends on future performance. Hmm..then it won't be a bad idea to actually study 2 years private uni than 4 years local uni in that sense. But I think progression will still somehow depends on which uni you are from since govt sector favours local and some other ivy league overseas uni from what has been told by some of my friends. Another poster also stated that graduates from local uni have better chances for future recommendations to take up the role of AM.
[/QUOTE]

Judging on the acronym for CEP , hmmm - a dubious post.

Old 05-03-2013, 05:34 PM
Verified Member

dupdupdup is on a distinguished road

Hi all! Anybody know how is the pay like in CSIT? Can you be promoted if your performance is good? Is it based on stat board? Will someone from SIM instead of local unis lose out? thanks!

Old 05-03-2013, 07:17 PM
Unregistered

Hi everyone!!

I'm about to graduate this May and I'm interested in joining the civil service. So far, I've sent out my application to various positions. But as I was applying, I noticed that are some positions listed as 'Asst Director/Manager'...

My question(s) are:

1. As a a fresh grad, is it true that I'm more likely to enter the service as manager than Asst Director?

2. If I'm asked about my pay expectations, how much should I say? For instance, if I request for 3.5K for the aforementioned position is that alright?

3. Let's say, I get the job. Will they pay me in accordance to the pay I requested or would they pay me in accordance to the civil service pay grade?

Thanks in advance!!

p.s. For my honors, I'm set to get a 2nd upper.
Old 05-03-2013, 08:08 PM

jobhunter1234 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Hi everyone!!

I'm about to graduate this May and I'm interested in joining the civil service. So far, I've sent out my application to various positions. But as I was applying, I noticed that are some positions listed as 'Asst Director/Manager'...

My question(s) are:

1. As a a fresh grad, is it true that I'm more likely to enter the service as manager than Asst Director?

2. If I'm asked about my pay expectations, how much should I say? For instance, if I request for 3.5K for the aforementioned position is that alright?

3. Let's say, I get the job. Will they pay me in accordance to the pay I requested or would they pay me in accordance to the civil service pay grade?

Thanks in advance!!

just curious...major?
Old 05-03-2013, 08:59 PM
Unregistered

Hello!

I'm a Sociology major. :l

I don't think my major would influence the pay I receive right (?) I'm not sure.

Old 05-03-2013, 09:07 PM

jobhunter1234 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Hello!

I'm a Sociology major. :l

I don't think my major would influence the pay I receive right (?) I'm not sure.
Nope. You are qualified for all general positions as long as the criteria is stated as any discipline.
Old 05-03-2013, 09:50 PM
Unregistered

u will join as a Manager.

One exception will be govt scholars. They will return from their studies as AD.

Quote:
Hi everyone!!

My question(s) are:

Thanks in advance!!

Old 06-03-2013, 01:35 AM
Unregistered

Given the (sometimes rather generous) annual increments that even non-scholars in the civil service seem to enjoy, I was wondering, do these non-scholars ever reach a point where they no longer get an increment?

I seem to recall a few people saying that there are pay ranges for each position e.g. Asst Mgr, Mgr, Asst Dir, and so on. So what happens when a non-scholar reaches the high end of their pay range but isn't promoted? Do they then no longer get an increment? And if so, if they continue to be stuck at whatever position they have attained until retirement, does it mean they never get an increment, EVER?

It would be great if someone in the know could clarify, many thanks
Old 06-03-2013, 02:02 AM
Unregistered

Technically u are right. There are salary ranges tagged to each grade, e.g. MX11, MX10 and so on. (Appointments such as manager and AD are just appointments so it is more accurate use such grades as a reference)

However, the situation usually won't pan out in an 'awkward' manner which you have illustrated (can't find a better description than awkward...hee). What happens is that the annual increment will be very gradual and there will be promotions from time to time. Eventually, assuming the non-scholar's highest attainable grade is MX10, that will limit the salary to a ceiling of around 10-11K or thereabouts. Upon reaching this point, he/she wont get any further increments (which you are right). This may take place at the age of late 40s or early 50s.

But do note that many non-scholars do have a potential of MX9 and below, meaning that they will eventually reach super-scale. Think of that as the Principal or vice-Principal grade in a MOE school. This will enable them to breach the 11K salary threshold. I can't recall the upper limit but you can scour this forum for it.

In my opinion, although civil servants may not earn as much as doctors, lawyers and bankers, but they (or rather, we...hahaha) do get paid 'decently'. I am not as clever as these people so I am happy to be a civil servant. haha.

Quote:
Given the (sometimes rather generous) annual increments that even non-scholars in the civil service seem to enjoy, I was wondering, do these non-scholars ever reach a point where they no longer get an increment?

I seem to recall a few people saying that there are pay ranges for each position e.g. Asst Mgr, Mgr, Asst Dir, and so on. So what happens when a non-scholar reaches the high end of their pay range but isn't promoted? Do they then no longer get an increment? And if so, if they continue to be stuck at whatever position they have attained until retirement, does it mean they never get an increment, EVER?

It would be great if someone in the know could clarify, many thanks