Income and Jobs Discuss jobs, career options and of course salaries

Compare civil service salary

Old 26-02-2013, 11:35 PM

jobhunter1234 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by wern View Post
Pass (merit).
My grades were 0.1 away from 2nd lower.

1. Treasury Building Ministry - this one was rotten from the start. Went into the room, got blasted by the DD and Head. No surprise abt the result after 2 weeks. at least they (or rather the HR lady) had the courtesy to make a rejection phonecall.

2. Environment Building - This was the one where I got to the final stage.
3. WDA - got to 2nd round, rejected
4. Ministry X (just finished their case study assignment now waiting for interview so I can't tell you which one).

For No.2 I also cannot believe. Freaking wasted my time chasing them for 2 whole weeks for an answer, as I was mentally preparing to tender my resignation from my contract job at that time. Seems quite bizarre to me that they need "superior's approval" to reject someone. My only guess is that it was a very close call between me and the other guy.
Hi wern, I think you are already doing quite well though. But I'm just curious that why did you apply for public sector since your degree is a pass merit (no offence). I believe you do know that the salary scheme pars to an individual's qualification, thus I suppose you won't really benefit in terms of starting salary and future prospect. Rather, I think you will stand a better chance if you apply to private sector instead. However, you can just ignore what I have said if you have genuine interest to serve in the public sector, or rather, you wanted a much more stable job.

All the best hopefully Ministry X will you the job.

Old 26-02-2013, 11:59 PM

wern is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by jobhunter1234 View Post
Hi wern, I think you are already doing quite well though. But I'm just curious that why did you apply for public sector since your degree is a pass merit (no offence). I believe you do know that the salary scheme pars to an individual's qualification, thus I suppose you won't really benefit in terms of starting salary and future prospect. Rather, I think you will stand a better chance if you apply to private sector instead. However, you can just ignore what I have said if you have genuine interest to serve in the public sector, or rather, you wanted a much more stable job.

The blasting session i had with the DD and Head is pte and I prefer not to say.
All I can tell you is that HR probably made a mistake, misread my CV.
The JD was so vague yet they came expecting me to know Java, C++ from a non-IT guy like me. I def won't apply to a IT position if I knew it was one.

My current contract position is in PTE sector and I generally know (after working there for a while ) that I'm a civil service kind of person la. Some people like the prospect of boundless limitations to pursue money and goals but I'm a kind of person who doesn't like my KPI being tied to how many clients, how much accounts I can bring in per quarter. The money aspect just doesnt appeal to me. Work life balance is higher priority that I place on myself.

I can accept the glass ceiling because I have other income streams. Parents have been managing a small stock portfolio for me and I will be taking it over and contributing a % of my pay to it once I get a proper FT job. Both my parents were civil servants and they know the biscuit tin+ bluechip stock secret to growing your wealth (of course at a slower rate compared to pte sector highfliers lah). Single guy here anyway.. not much committments per month. My handphone plan is the cheapest one available and I don't intend to get a car. Actually making some longterm planning for a house in the future already. But theres extremely far away from now. Anw aren't you a scholarship holder?

Old 27-02-2013, 12:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wern View Post
The blasting session i had with the DD and Head is pte and I prefer not to say.
All I can tell you is that HR probably made a mistake, misread my CV.
The JD was so vague yet they came expecting me to know Java, C++ from a non-IT guy like me. I def won't apply to a IT position if I knew it was one.

My current contract position is in PTE sector and I generally know (after working there for a while ) that I'm a civil service kind of person la. Some people like the prospect of boundless limitations to pursue money and goals but I'm a kind of person who doesn't like my KPI being tied to how many clients, how much accounts I can bring in per quarter. The money aspect just doesnt appeal to me. Work life balance is higher priority that I place on myself.

I can accept the glass ceiling because I have other income streams. Parents have been managing a small stock portfolio for me and I will be taking it over and contributing a % of my pay to it once I get a proper FT job. Both my parents were civil servants and they know the biscuit tin+ bluechip stock secret to growing your wealth (of course at a slower rate compared to pte sector highfliers lah). Single guy here anyway.. not much committments per month. My handphone plan is the cheapest one available and I don't intend to get a car. Actually making some longterm planning for a house in the future already. But theres extremely far away from now. Anw aren't you a scholarship holder?
Oh geez...the HR misread your CV? That's definitely time wasted. I couldn't imagine how the interview was conducted with them thinking that they had probably picked the wrong person by mistake. Anw, just treat it as an experience and move forward.

It is great that you understand what you want in life and it is even better that your parents have been doing financial planning for you and definitely you are gonna benefit from what they have done and with yourself continue to invest for a better future. It is good to live prudently

Yea. I'm a scholarship holder but not PSC though. I have gotten my scholarship from a private coy. As for me, I'm certain that public sector is not for me in the long run and I never have the intention of applying to any ministries/stat board. So far I have been in the mid of an interview for a graduate programme. The interviewer told me that there will be another round of interview around Feb but it has since been a month and there isn't reply from their side and I'm kind of worried that they rejected me

Recently, my mum couldn't stand me lazing around at home doing nothing and told me to apply to any jobs available. I have since applied to one of the stat boards and hopefully they call me up for interview.

Old 27-02-2013, 02:29 AM
Unregistered

In all likelihood, there wont be a problem. It is quite pointless for the first ministry to pursue the matter with the second ministry....especially when all are government services.

In all the situations which I have encountered, the most difficult part is getting the first party (e.g. HR) to initiate a request to hire you.....(can't find a better phrase to describe this process but u know what i mean) But once that is done, the rest will just quote this approval and everything should fall into place.

Usually, no one will contend against it. It is not as if you are a world class footballer where everyone is vying for your expertise. There are many others waiting in the queue.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Incognito View Post
Thanks for the quick answer! Well the thing is, what if you sign a LOA with one ministry, then later on another ministry comes along and makes a better offer, then you break the LOA with the first ministry, then how? Will there be a problem?
Old 27-02-2013, 08:12 AM
Incognito

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unregistered View Post
In all likelihood, there wont be a problem. It is quite pointless for the first ministry to pursue the matter with the second ministry....especially when all are government services.

In all the situations which I have encountered, the most difficult part is getting the first party (e.g. HR) to initiate a request to hire you.....(can't find a better phrase to describe this process but u know what i mean) But once that is done, the rest will just quote this approval and everything should fall into place.

Usually, no one will contend against it. It is not as if you are a world class footballer where everyone is vying for your expertise. There are many others waiting in the queue.
Thanks for your input!
Old 27-02-2013, 08:16 AM
Incognito

Quote:

Frankly speaking, unless you intend to work in banking/finance/sales/business development type of roles where it is profit centre rather than cost centre, then I'm not sure that the private sector is better than the public service. From what I can tell, it is only a minority of people who can make it big in the private sector, while the rest continue to slave away like peons and be paid below what they would have been paid if they were public servants.

Old 27-02-2013, 10:29 AM
Verified Member

annabella is on a distinguished road

any one know the culture of People's Association HQ? I am looking at the position of assistant manager for a certain department. Was thinking if is there a need to constantly go for meetings or the kind of job role that i will be assigned to
Old 27-02-2013, 12:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Incognito View Post
Frankly speaking, unless you intend to work in banking/finance/sales/business development type of roles where it is profit centre rather than cost centre, then I'm not sure that the private sector is better than the public service. From what I can tell, it is only a minority of people who can make it big in the private sector, while the rest continue to slave away like peons and be paid below what they would have been paid if they were public servants.
Hi Incognito. Thanks for the input. Btw, I'm always curious to know is it so lucrative to work for the banks? I have friends working for Cxtxbank as front desk staff (I dunno if they call that as ops). Wondering how much are they being paid.
Old 27-02-2013, 02:26 PM
Unregistered

Quote:
Originally Posted by annabella View Post
any one know the culture of People's Association HQ? I am looking at the position of assistant manager for a certain department. Was thinking if is there a need to constantly go for meetings or the kind of job role that i will be assigned to
Are you NITEC/diploma only? All deg fresh grads join as Manager or Assistant Director.
Old 27-02-2013, 04:03 PM
Incognito

Quote:
Hi Incognito. Thanks for the input. Btw, I'm always curious to know is it so lucrative to work for the banks? I have friends working for Cxtxbank as front desk staff (I dunno if they call that as ops). Wondering how much are they being paid.
I'm no expert but from what I have heard, generally speaking, yes, on average the payscales are higher across the board, although you will of course find exceptions here and there e.g. customer service officers in a bank call centre won't earn very much more. Of course, whenever recession hits, banks won't hesitate to let go of their staff, so job security is not very high.