Salary.sg Forums  

Go Back   Salary.sg Forums > The Salary.sg Discussion Forums: > Income and Jobs

Income and Jobs Discuss jobs, career options and of course salaries

Compare civil service salary

Old 18-02-2013, 11:14 AM
Unregistered

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alex View Post
Hey, sorry to sidetrack, but I need advice regarding employment at the Civil Service.

I am a final year student from SIM-UoL taking Bsc Economics. Secured 2nd Upper Honors, but expect to graduate with 1st Class (not trying to troll or boast, but I really studied hard and love the subject).

I am interested to work in finance, economics, trade and business-related ministries and statutory boards: EDB, MAS, Spring Singapore, IE Singapore, Ministry of Finance/Foreign Affairs/Defence.

Three Questions:

1. Do they hire SIM students (your existing colleagues) for Research, Policy, Planning or Finance-related roles?

2. Are there be certain departments that are "off limits" (be it official or unofficial) to private degree graduates?

3. Is it possible to become a scholar after joining the civil service?
1. No

2. Yes

3. Yes, but definitely not with SIM degree. Mid careers AOs are usually for people who futher their studies in top global universities.

In short if your goal is to be some high flier in CS, I would say forget it. With just a SIM cert, you will be lucky to even reach DD by 52 years old.

Old 18-02-2013, 01:35 PM

cslee is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alex View Post
Hey, sorry to sidetrack, but I need advice regarding employment at the Civil Service.

I am a final year student from SIM-UoL taking Bsc Economics. Secured 2nd Upper Honors, but expect to graduate with 1st Class (not trying to troll or boast, but I really studied hard and love the subject).

I am interested to work in finance, economics, trade and business-related ministries and statutory boards: EDB, MAS, Spring Singapore, IE Singapore, Ministry of Finance/Foreign Affairs/Defence.

Three Questions:

1. Do they hire SIM students (your existing colleagues) for Research, Policy, Planning or Finance-related roles?

2. Are there be certain departments that are "off limits" (be it official or unofficial) to private degree graduates?

3. Is it possible to become a scholar after joining the civil service?
The areas that you're interested at is highly competitive. But if you were legal, accounting, engineering or IT trained, you may stand a chance in certain professional schemes (even higher chance with 2-3 years exp).

Old 18-02-2013, 01:53 PM
Unregistered

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unregistered View Post
i have not seen that happened in MNCs. I got a shock when I heard such a thing exist in CS for the first time
u are either not working yet or haven't worked in MNC b4.

Old 18-02-2013, 02:01 PM
Unregistered

Quote:
Originally Posted by cslee View Post
The areas that you're interested at is highly competitive. But if you were legal, accounting, engineering or IT trained, you may stand a chance in certain professional schemes (even higher chance with 2-3 years exp).
does degree with UniSim helps to get in? for div 1 officers?
Old 18-02-2013, 03:38 PM
Unregistered

Quote:
u are either not working yet or haven't worked in MNC b4.
getting lowest grade in one's appraisal would mean no bonus in CS. I think that might be the diff btw CS and pte
Old 18-02-2013, 07:12 PM
Unregistered

Hi forumers,

I have been digging around for salary information for civil service but have often been given diplomatic answers like "unable to give a range as all interviewees are different".

I am currently 34yrs old male with Bachelors degree in Business Admin from Uni Canberra, Australia and a Masters of Intl Business from Monash University, Australia. I have 5 years as a civil servant and 6 years of experience in FMCG with reputable companies................

Wow! great to see so many different views.... as a former civil servant I also understand CEP. CEP is really dependent on bosses and may differ year to year...anyway the reason why I am considering MTI is becoz I feel that I would have an advantage as I intend to do my Phd at NTU(RSIS) ...probably will do research in political economics. Being in MTI would help me in my thesis and data collection.

or continue in the private sector and give up on the Phd... what you guys think?

BTW any chance of getting a scholarship from MTI or any government dept ( draw normal salary plus study fulltime) with bond of course.. my family not too well to do. Advice needed here.

Old 18-02-2013, 08:45 PM

Quote:
does degree with UniSim helps to get in? for div 1 officers?
I think selective degrees. For example, MOE is looking for English degree holders from SIM (where the greatest shortage of teachers is).
Old 18-02-2013, 09:00 PM

Quote:
Hi forumers,

I have been digging around for salary information for civil service but have often been given diplomatic answers like "unable to give a range as all interviewees are different".

I am currently 34yrs old male with Bachelors degree in Business Admin from Uni Canberra, Australia and a Masters of Intl Business from Monash University, Australia. I have 5 years as a civil servant and 6 years of experience in FMCG with reputable companies................

Wow! great to see so many different views.... as a former civil servant I also understand CEP. CEP is really dependent on bosses and may differ year to year...anyway the reason why I am considering MTI is becoz I feel that I would have an advantage as I intend to do my Phd at NTU(RSIS) ...probably will do research in political economics. Being in MTI would help me in my thesis and data collection.

or continue in the private sector and give up on the Phd... what you guys think?

BTW any chance of getting a scholarship from MTI or any government dept ( draw normal salary plus study fulltime) with bond of course.. my family not too well to do. Advice needed here.
Why did you leave CS in the first place? Would be easier had you remain at your previous ministry. Postgrad sponsorship usually requires at least 5 years of good performance (MOE started this scheme). Some of my colleagues went for full-time MSc sponsorship (must be relevant to specific jobs) in both local and overseas uni. On average, they've been ~10 years of service. So far, never heard of 3-5 years of PhD sponsorship yet.
Old 18-02-2013, 09:31 PM
Unregistered

Exclamation

Quote:
1. No

2. Yes

3. Yes, but definitely not with SIM degree. Mid careers AOs are usually for people who futher their studies in top global universities.

In short if your goal is to be some high flier in CS, I would say forget it. With just a SIM cert, you will be lucky to even reach DD by 52 years old.
Bro I think your pointer 1 is wrong. I am a rmit grad and I am in research. The only place that are off limit to private degree is policy. And even if you are local degree also hard to get in because usually policy is reserved for scholar. 52 years old or not to reach what level I think it boils down to your boss like you or not.

In general, please do not join cs if you dun have the passion and pride to serve the public and have genuine interest to make Singapore a better place. If you are joining to earn big bucks and climb the cs ladder. I think you are better off in the private sector. Otherwise after u join 5 years and can't get any promotion u will end up a kpk person and drag your feet to work everyday thinking no one give u an opportunity . And it will be too late for you to join back the pte sector.

Please choose your career wisly and ask yourself what you want put of it.
Old 18-02-2013, 09:32 PM
Unregistered

Quote:
Originally Posted by cslee View Post
I think selective degrees. For example, MOE is looking for English degree holders from SIM (where the greatest shortage of teachers is).
oic thanks for the info