Compare civil service salary - Page 127 - Salary.sg Forums
Salary.sg Forums  

Go Back   Salary.sg Forums > The Salary.sg Discussion Forums: > Income and Jobs

Income and Jobs Discuss jobs, career options and of course salaries

Compare civil service salary

Old 27-01-2012, 11:21 AM
Unregistered

A few people who made the jump from private to public are those who yearn for a better work-life balance (and of course to get married and have kids). I cannot say for all but it seems those whom I know made the switch are much happier, although they took a pay cut.

The first thing is that you have to get adjusted to the work culture and have the "civil service" mindset. Usually in your first 1 or 2 years you will get all sorts of activities and tasks which are not really part of your day-to-day job, just to test you and boost your portfolio.

But depending on which stat board you join, some do really value your experience and knowledge gleaned from the "outside world".

Old 27-01-2012, 11:26 AM

Bean is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by INTJ View Post
Hello everyone, i would like to seek the advice of the more experienced civil servants here.

some background

qualification: NUS Bach of Arts (normal) in 2000
Working exp: 10 years since 2001, currently Asst. Manager & Sales Team Leader in MNC (7 years in the company)

I have decided to take a more relaxed route in life especially after the birth of my child. Working more than 10 hours a day including the weekend is just not viable any more even if i am earning on average of $5000 / month.

Hence, i had applied for a job at a stat board and was offered the position of a Senior Executive recently. The salary offered was $3500 and that is smack right in the middle of the MX 12 range, right?

Based on the experience of the forumers here, is this a fair deal? Should i ask for more? I am replied to the HR that i am likely to accept but should i bargain for a little more?

I do not hope that i sound too materialistic, it is just that with a child in the family and the primary bread winner, i just want to have the best for my child and feel that i am valued by the stat board as well.
i think your 'sales' experience is not relevant to the position you applied for!!!
Anyway I think they still offer too low for you, should be at least 4.5k...

i got 3.5 years engineering exp in private sector b4 getting an offer from a ministry in an administrative position..

2nd lower eng NTU
engineer pay = 3.4k (annual = 55k)
offer ministry(that need project management exp from my engineering sector job) pay = 3.7k (annual almost same = 55k)

i never took up the job as I put 4k in the application form......

Old 27-01-2012, 11:38 AM
fritzzz

Quote:
Originally Posted by miwashi View Post
does this mean they already determine a CEP for us immediately upon the first interview? They can see how far we can possibly go by just talking to us for 20 minutes?
No and Yes

No as in of course they haven’t got an exact CEP score and career map plotted out when they offer him the job.

Yes as in civil service and stat board pay follow a fix matrix which takes into account your experience and perceived performance potential. INTJ has 11 yrs exp as a team lead, give and take some discount that his applied job does not match his experience exactly still should not end up at mid MX11.

The likely variable left is that he has been marked down in terms of expected performance and leadership potential which likely means that they have already formed a very low opinion of his career within the organization. Of course theoretically he can still flip around if he outperform brilliantly, but chances are he’s gone career wise the moment he join, a bit like your case sad to say.

Old 27-01-2012, 11:40 AM
Unregistered

Quote:
Hello everyone, i would like to seek the advice of the more experienced civil servants here.

some background

qualification: NUS Bach of Arts (normal) in 2000
Working exp: 10 years since 2001, currently Asst. Manager & Sales Team Leader in MNC (7 years in the company)

I have decided to take a more relaxed route in life especially after the birth of my child. Working more than 10 hours a day including the weekend is just not viable any more even if i am earning on average of $5000 / month.

Hence, i had applied for a job at a stat board and was offered the position of a Senior Executive recently. The salary offered was $3500 and that is smack right in the middle of the MX 12 range, right?

Based on the experience of the forumers here, is this a fair deal? Should i ask for more? I am replied to the HR that i am likely to accept but should i bargain for a little more?

I do not hope that i sound too materialistic, it is just that with a child in the family and the primary bread winner, i just want to have the best for my child and feel that i am valued by the stat board as well.
Ok lar, I also started out with the civil service. Here's my experience.

Starting pay - 2.5k per month, 2nd upper honors. 1st class I think will get 2.8k. Yearly increment is about $200-300 dollars. It is not guaranteed in the contract but it seems like there will almost always be an increment every year. During recession years it is less, but still got increment to keep pace with inflation. After five years and one promotion, my salary is about 4k.

Bonus can expect about 2 months for an average performer, which basically means you show up to work and do not cause trouble. Most people will get this.

I think with a normal degree (no honors), the starting pay is 2k. Assuming $200 increment per year, you should have gotten $2k more after 10 years = $4k. Of course, this is a very simplistic straight line assumption. But imho, I think maybe you can try to bargain for $3.8k. Now civil service follow a rigid pay structure so I am not sure if it is open for negotiation, but no harm trying.

But pay issues aside, I must say after entering private sector, civil service life is more relaxed and you have free time after work and on weekends to pursue your passion. I earned less money in the civil service but was happier. Now I am making more money but also less happy.

Other points of civil service

Pros:
1. Good work life balance. Weekends no need to worry about work at all. And government is pro-family, so you get all sorts of family and child care leave in the civil service.
2. Friendly and laid back colleagues. Not as competitive as private sector, very little politics at the junior and middle management levels.
3. Job security. Your bonus will be lower during recessions but you will keep your job with no pay cut

Cons:
1. Bureaucracy. You will have very little autonomous decision making, and most things will need to go through one or more levels of approval. Some people do not like this, others who are risk adverse love the checks and balances. It's a personality thing, your mileage might vary.
2. Predictable. It can get pretty routine after a while. Sure, there might be incremental changes, but the function of a stat board pretty much stays the same. Compared to private sector where there is a premium on innovation.
Old 27-01-2012, 01:46 PM

INTJ is on a distinguished road

Thank you, everyone for all your feedback. It was very enlightening.

In summary, if i do join the civil service,

1) i will be stuck in a dead-end situation with precious little room for advancement and increment

2) the 3.5k offered is too low and there is no room for negotiation

3) i will have better work-life balance
Old 27-01-2012, 01:52 PM

INTJ is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by fritzzz View Post
Yet another guy who does not bother to read up the forum. As has been said countless times by many many forumers, there is NO SUCH THING AS BARGAINING for pay with the civil service.

Take it or leave it, they don't operate pasar malam style where you can go and try to talk c0ck your way out for another $200 a month.

Btw, the fact they offer you mid MX12 when you already have 11 yrs exp means your CEP is very low, most likely your career ceiling at MX 11, but then its iron rice bowl so you make your choice bah.
With all due respect, fritzzz, for a thread which is over 100 pages long; it may be unrealistic for a newbie to pore through them all. It is not so much that i am lazy but that i was hoping for constructive feedback fast because i have to make a final decision by today. I just happened upon this forum which doing a search. Time is of the essence.

I also cannot understand your hostility towards an honest-to-God question. Moreover everyone's situation is different. Despite the perceived hostility and abrasive tone, i did find your feedback informative.

Thank you.

Old 27-01-2012, 03:33 PM
fritzzz

Quote:
With all due respect, fritzzz, for a thread which is over 100 pages long; it may be unrealistic for a newbie to pore through them all. It is not so much that i am lazy but that i was hoping for constructive feedback fast because i have to make a final decision by today. I just happened upon this forum which doing a search. Time is of the essence.

I also cannot understand your hostility towards an honest-to-God question. Moreover everyone's situation is different. Despite the perceived hostility and abrasive tone, i did find your feedback informative.

Thank you.
So in the end did you accept offer?
Old 27-01-2012, 11:01 PM
Unregistered

I have 12 years engineering experiences and now a Technical manager with a 3rd class NUS degree.

How much work poly pay for this experience?
Old 27-01-2012, 11:02 PM
Unregistered

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unregistered View Post
I have 12 years engineering experiences and now a Technical manager with a 3rd class NUS degree.

How much work poly pay for this experience?
about $12. 3rd class is no class