Go Back   Salary.sg Forums > The Salary.sg Discussion Forums: > Income and Jobs

Income and Jobs Discuss jobs, career options and of course salaries

Compare civil service salary

Old 16-04-2019, 11:27 AM
Unregistered

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unregistered View Post
just wondering..

for fellow fresh grads, if you get an offer already, do you still go for other interviews? how do you tell the current offer ministry/SB that you are awaiting for something else? :s11:
I no fresh grad, but I believe your qn is faced by many people before.

In any case, the most important qn is to ask yourself which job you really want. If the one you are still going for interviews (not yet offered) is the one you want badly, but do not want to lose the opportunity for the first offered one, can try:

1) see if it is possible to ask for a timeline for you to consider and make a decision as you are considering other opportunities as well.

2) communicate to the one that you really want but still going on interviews, and ask for status update and perhaps let them know that you have been offered somewhere but still really keen to pursue this role (if the organisation finds that you are the perfect fit, they may move the interview process forward so as not to 'lose' you)

And since you are asking this qn in this thread, believe that both roles are in the CS. So guess you better be as honest as possible.

Old 16-04-2019, 11:54 AM
Unregistered

Quote:
I no fresh grad, but I believe your qn is faced by many people before.

In any case, the most important qn is to ask yourself which job you really want. If the one you are still going for interviews (not yet offered) is the one you want badly, but do not want to lose the opportunity for the first offered one, can try:

1) see if it is possible to ask for a timeline for you to consider and make a decision as you are considering other opportunities as well.

2) communicate to the one that you really want but still going on interviews, and ask for status update and perhaps let them know that you have been offered somewhere but still really keen to pursue this role (if the organisation finds that you are the perfect fit, they may move the interview process forward so as not to 'lose' you)

And since you are asking this qn in this thread, believe that both roles are in the CS. So guess you better be as honest as possible.

Did what the poster said 8 years ago. And got the offer from the organisation I had wanted to go. Looking back, not sure if it was the right choice...

Old 16-04-2019, 12:20 PM
Unregistered

Quote:
Did what the poster said 8 years ago. And got the offer from the organisation I had wanted to go. Looking back, not sure if it was the right choice...
Like what you said.. It is 8 years ago. Things changed, management changed, organisation changed, economy changed, I bet even your colleagues also changed. I'm sure when you accepted the offer 8 years ago, it was the best among the rest of the applied organisations after your careful consideration.

But you would not be able to anticipate any changes there after which may no longer make it the best organisation now. So don't look back. None of us know what is ahead, the best we can do is to ensure we have done the best we can now.

Old 16-04-2019, 01:14 PM
Unregistered

Anyone knows of the salary at SLA as an exec and senior exec?
Old 16-04-2019, 01:45 PM
Unregistered

Quote:
U sound like my mom who only remember the payscale of her time, 10 years ago when she was given golden handshake coz she's too expensive to keep.

Believe it or not I asked a ministry HR how much FCH NTU Gross now... 3.5k maximum at the best paid dept. no leeway upwards.
I asked because my cousins believe FCH no less than 4.. And they are waiting it out gaming at home. I asked them where their numbers come from, they said recruiter at their career fair... These salesmen say anything to get youngsters to fill forms for their KPI..

3-5 years ago was when cryptocurrency was rising, many industries booming, no such thing as adapt n grow, career future... Now everybody no jobs, so many involuntary part time... You are lucky to jump at the right time. I'm not saying u r lying... Many ministries have beautiful cars inside not shocking if their base indeed is 8k. Now these fellas everyday bootlick their boss n pray until retirement.

There are many youngsters here who lack context, don't make them misunderstand and peg themselves too high until zero calls.
Not true...I have FCH from NTU (with NS) and I've been presently offered upwards of 4.2-4.4k in several Ministries.
Old 16-04-2019, 05:09 PM
Unregistered

Quote:
Not true...I have FCH from NTU (with NS) and I've been presently offered upwards of 4.2-4.4k in several Ministries.
nice. congrates. i am a 2nd class upper w NS. joined SB earlier this year, drawing slightly less than 4

Old 16-04-2019, 05:10 PM
Unregistered

Ministry of Social and Family development or Singapore Prison Service for
Social work /Counselling job?
Old 16-04-2019, 05:51 PM
Unregistered

Quote:
just wondering..

for fellow fresh grads, if you get an offer already, do you still go for other interviews? how do you tell the current offer ministry/SB that you are awaiting for something else? :s11:
Fellow fresh grad here, in a somewhat similar situation.

I assume the "other interviews" is your first-choice? I suggest you call (if you have HR's number) or email them and ask about what the rest of the process is like and approx how long it will take. Some only have 1 round of interviews while others got like 3 rounds which will take damn long. And you should also mention that you have received other offers but you are still interested in joining them. If they really want you, they will speed up the process but if they are in not much hurry, then I guess no point bah.

But honestly, if you have not went down for at least the first interview with your first-choice, it will be too hard to stall the other offers.
Old 16-04-2019, 06:38 PM
Unregistered

Quote:
Fellow fresh grad here, in a somewhat similar situation.

I assume the "other interviews" is your first-choice? I suggest you call (if you have HR's number) or email them and ask about what the rest of the process is like and approx how long it will take. Some only have 1 round of interviews while others got like 3 rounds which will take damn long. And you should also mention that you have received other offers but you are still interested in joining them. If they really want you, they will speed up the process but if they are in not much hurry, then I guess no point bah.

But honestly, if you have not went down for at least the first interview with your first-choice, it will be too hard to stall the other offers.
There are some that are still ‘processing’ the application. So i guess those are no hopes, sigh. I just dont hope that after accepting one and then the other i want comes to me. This are times when i hope the company offering takes their own sweet time. Haha.

Or be in a state when i reject and then become jobless. Haha
Old 16-04-2019, 07:37 PM
Unregistered

On the topic of offers, do yall feel bad for rejecting an offer? I feel so guilty that i wasted the interviewer’s time.