Go Back   Salary.sg Forums > The Salary.sg Discussion Forums: > Income and Jobs

Income and Jobs Discuss jobs, career options and of course salaries

Compare civil service salary

Old 12-04-2019, 10:56 AM
Unregistered

[QUOTE=Unregistered;116867]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Unregistered View Post
U sound like my mom who only remember the payscale of her time, 10 years ago when she was given golden handshake coz she's too expensive to keep.

Believe it or not I asked a ministry HR how much FCH NTU Gross now... 3.5k maximum at the best paid dept. no leeway upwards.
I asked because my cousins believe FCH no less than 4.. And they are waiting it out gaming at home. I asked them where their numbers come from, they said recruiter at their career fair... These salesmen say anything to get youngsters to fill forms for their KPI..

3-5 years ago was when cryptocurrency was rising, many industries booming, no such thing as adapt n grow, career future... Now everybody no jobs, so many involuntary part time... You are lucky to jump at the right time. I'm not saying u r lying... Many ministries have beautiful cars inside not shocking if their base indeed is 8k. Now these fellas everyday bootlick their boss n pray until retirement.

There are many youngsters here who lack context, don't make them misunderstand and peg themselves too high until zero calls.1/QUOTE]

Self entitlement mentality which is hard to avoid these days. Some companies do pay 4k and above but how many can get in?

My company does not pay fresh grad 4k but is still highly sought after due to the good culture.

I know of fresh grads who have been working 12 to 14 hrs but taking 9k onwards.
Not sure about all CS but mine do show the salary ranges for each grade and we know generally non scholar average degree folks will max out at around 11k (and this is due to further adjustments this year). It just depends they take how long to hit this number and usually coming in from private sector do help command a higher base than peers. There are of course better performers that progress higher than the average ceiling. I think fresh grad pay not very transparent.. my place it starts at 3+k and after the confirmation (usually 1 year) they get increment and FY year end another boost. By 2nd year should be 4+k liao. Never heard of a lot places start with 4k excdpt those elite ones or engineering related...

Old 12-04-2019, 11:32 AM
Unregistered

Red face Feeling philosophical this morning...

Quote:

Self entitlement mentality which is hard to avoid these days. Some companies do pay 4k and above but how many can get in?

My company does not pay fresh grad 4k but is still highly sought after due to the good culture.

I think that it is OK to desire a good package, and to be hopeful to be the 20% in the 80/20 rule, but it just breaks my heart to see my family frustrated over this. Youngsters are sold the dreams that their value is 4k while knowing nuts.... Then the senior citizens live in the Era of industrial revolution and baby boomers they are stuck in the Era that managers must take home 8-10k, and they hear their children position is manager after 2 years why so grossly underpaid... (4-5k) Then they scold their children for being stupid and shortchanged which fuels the self entitled problem.

One particular elderly family member must drop the Mike on others, even take it one step further saying her son a salesman with 2 years of experience relaxes at home and earns 120k annual. While it may be possible, gossip always sounds sweeter than the truth. So as a result the other elders claim they don't believe it but start to pressure their children, why after 5 years they cannot afford a condo n big car.

The difficulty and pains one must go through to take home that salary... We cannot see but we envy. millionaires work 20 hours a day to produce content and many have slipped into depression, we only see the money don't see the sweat and tears.

Youngsters who are being pressured, focus on reinvesting your money. Don't obsess over getting the high paid job and chase the big condo and big car. Money only grows when reinvested, not when it's is enjoyed in a car or house. That's just worthless face value (面子)Yes it is possible to invest in property at a young age but many youngsters also fall into financial embarrassment this way. Singapore has grossly inflated cost of car and house, and somehow it became status symbol... No, the real riches is cash rich and retirement rich.

I feel for the young and impressionable youngsters in my family so im just ranting. I'm sure I'm not the only idiotic family that loves to speculate and give fictitious income numbers so, hang in there fellas.

Primary School English Grammar and Vocabulary Drills
Primary School English Grammar and Vocabulary Drills

SG Bus Timing App
SG Bus Timing App - the best bus app - available on iOS and Android

Bursa Stocks Android App - check share prices
Bursa Stocks [Android] App - check latest share prices on the go

SGX Stocks Android App - check share prices
SGX Stocks [Android] App - check latest share prices on the go

SGX Stocks for iPad - check latest Singapore share prices
SGX Stocks [iPad] app
| SGX Stocks [iPhone] app
Old 12-04-2019, 11:37 AM
Unregistered

Quote:
I think that it is OK to desire a good package, and to be hopeful to be the 20% in the 80/20 rule, but it just breaks my heart to see my family frustrated over this. Youngsters are sold the dreams that their value is 4k while knowing nuts.... Then the senior citizens live in the Era of industrial revolution and baby boomers they are stuck in the Era that managers must take home 8-10k, and they hear their children position is manager after 2 years why so grossly underpaid... (4-5k) Then they scold their children for being stupid and shortchanged which fuels the self entitled problem.

One particular elderly family member must drop the Mike on others, even take it one step further saying her son a salesman with 2 years of experience relaxes at home and earns 120k annual. While it may be possible, gossip always sounds sweeter than the truth. So as a result the other elders claim they don't believe it but start to pressure their children, why after 5 years they cannot afford a condo n big car.

The difficulty and pains one must go through to take home that salary... We cannot see but we envy. millionaires work 20 hours a day to produce content and many have slipped into depression, we only see the money don't see the sweat and tears.

Youngsters who are being pressured, focus on reinvesting your money. Don't obsess over getting the high paid job and chase the big condo and big car. Money only grows when reinvested, not when it's is enjoyed in a car or house. That's just worthless face value (面子)Yes it is possible to invest in property at a young age but many youngsters also fall into financial embarrassment this way. Singapore has grossly inflated cost of car and house, and somehow it became status symbol... No, the real riches is cash rich and retirement rich.

I feel for the young and impressionable youngsters in my family so im just ranting. I'm sure I'm not the only idiotic family that loves to speculate and give fictitious income numbers so, hang in there fellas.
Social media / millionaires

Old 12-04-2019, 05:32 PM
Unregistered

[QUOTE=Unregistered;116867]
Quote:
U sound like my mom who only remember the payscale of her time, 10 years ago when she was given golden handshake coz she's too expensive to keep.

Believe it or not I asked a ministry HR how much FCH NTU Gross now... 3.5k maximum at the best paid dept. no leeway upwards.
I asked because my cousins believe FCH no less than 4.. And they are waiting it out gaming at home. I asked them where their numbers come from, they said recruiter at their career fair... These salesmen say anything to get youngsters to fill forms for their KPI..

3-5 years ago was when cryptocurrency was rising, many industries booming, no such thing as adapt n grow, career future... Now everybody no jobs, so many involuntary part time... You are lucky to jump at the right time. I'm not saying u r lying... Many ministries have beautiful cars inside not shocking if their base indeed is 8k. Now these fellas everyday bootlick their boss n pray until retirement.

There are many youngsters here who lack context, don't make them misunderstand and peg themselves too high until zero calls.1/QUOTE]

i just join a Engineering SB (doing non engineering stuff) earlier this year, 2nd class upper local U non NS.. drawing 3.5k. so i think it is possible to hit 4k with FCH and NS.

there are also other SB that had merged AWS into their basic salary... fch probably can hit 4.5 over there..
Old 12-04-2019, 05:50 PM
Unregistered

Quote:

I understand the situation. I have younger cousins who are thinking the same way.
Old 12-04-2019, 06:11 PM
Unregistered

[QUOTE=Unregistered;116903]
Quote:

i just join a Engineering SB (doing non engineering stuff) earlier this year, 2nd class upper local U non NS.. drawing 3.5k. so i think it is possible to hit 4k with FCH and NS.

there are also other SB that had merged AWS into their basic salary... fch probably can hit 4.5 over there..
What I read is, government supposed to increase the overall salary of engineers... When it got pushed down, the directors found a loophole, they increased the Gross salary by offering the AWS in advance so it appears to increase engineers salary but actually.. No increment.

From my understanding nobody else has bonus added into their gross except public service engineering firms. My dad is one such 'victim' but he is actually happy.

Old 12-04-2019, 08:56 PM
Unregistered

[QUOTE=Unregistered;116905]
Quote:

What I read is, government supposed to increase the overall salary of engineers... When it got pushed down, the directors found a loophole, they increased the Gross salary by offering the AWS in advance so it appears to increase engineers salary but actually.. No increment.

From my understanding nobody else has bonus added into their gross except public service engineering firms. My dad is one such 'victim' but he is actually happy.
not sure about other SB.. but the one I am in, additional bonus (MAC) are given to engineering staff and we still have AWS..
Old 12-04-2019, 09:07 PM
Unregistered

[QUOTE=Unregistered;116905]
Quote:

This not true for my org and many others I know. All CS engineers I know now got additional allowance and bonus in addition to the usual AWS. Coupled with the extra few adjustments the last 2 years..

A few orgs are merging AWS and some usual bonuses to base to help attract private sector folks but the total comp never drop and still get annual increments.
Old 12-04-2019, 09:37 PM
Unregistered

Smile Interesting

[QUOTE=Unregistered;116915]
Quote:

This not true for my org and many others I know. All CS engineers I know now got additional allowance and bonus in addition to the usual AWS. Coupled with the extra few adjustments the last 2 years..

A few orgs are merging AWS and some usual bonuses to base to help attract private sector folks but the total comp never drop and still get annual increments.
Thank you for the clarification. Maybe I should get my father to see the package as overall from Jan to December. But he always say, salary so small add also not much... Then lazy to check. Haha anyway children all independent now, all the more he don't see the need to count. Afterall, give less also he work, give more also work.

Thanks for the replies.
Old 13-04-2019, 08:36 AM
Unregistered

MI last year was $228 and this year is $346. I'm near my ceiling, does that mean I will be promoted next year?