Compare civil service salary - Page 754 - Salary.sg Forums
Salary.sg Forums  

Go Back   Salary.sg Forums > The Salary.sg Discussion Forums: > Income and Jobs

Income and Jobs Discuss jobs, career options and of course salaries

Compare civil service salary

Old 23-03-2019, 10:30 AM
Unregistered

Fresh grads should stop having the idea that CS pays accordingly to your honours class. There are so many honour grads these days, there isn't really a meaningful different between 1st or 2nd or upper/lower for that matter. Jobs across CS have different starting pays simply because the job scopes are different. Some more generalist, some more specialized requiring specific qualifications.

Old 23-03-2019, 04:52 PM
Unregistered

Anyone knows what's the merit increment for mx11 A grade ?

Old 23-03-2019, 08:30 PM
Unregistered

If I join mid career as MX 11, will there be increment after a 6 months probation?

Old 23-03-2019, 10:58 PM
Unregistered

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unregistered View Post
Anyone knows what's the merit increment for mx11 A grade ?
Depends on performance grade, cep, honours classification
Old 24-03-2019, 02:02 AM
Verified Member

rapdec87 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
If I join mid career as MX 11, will there be increment after a 6 months probation?
Probation is 1 full year in the civil service.

Just a general point - please, do not join the civil service if you are not a scholar. I know different people have different career interests, and some just want a stable job with decent income, so can focus on other interests outside of work.

But please think very carefully if this is the path you want to take. At least try more years in the pte sector first and discover your real interest. If you really have no interests out there and have some interest in public policy, then do join the cs.

In cs, the scholars rule. And the system/culture is as such that every 2 years, they rotate heads/DDs around for posting, and most do not have prior experience handing the work of the specific ministry. The result of this is that the heads/DD, who are usually career-minded, will push the sh!t work to the juniors, who would have to find solutions. For scholar juniors, it is a batism of fire and they know that they just have to work around 2 years, get A grade and move on and promote. The non-scholars have to content with Bs/Cs and nope, your progression will be very slow, despite the long hours (yes, in certain depts in CS, there may be longer hours than pte sector).

Please respect yourself. I seen quite a few with potential but due to the culture in the cs, they became content after a few years staying a relatively junior level in exchange for stability/decent pay, and couldnt move out to pte sector due to fear of change or just don't have the relevant skillsets.

If you are still young and not a scholar, try something out there and discover your interests, and mind less about the pay first.

Please don't believe the bs the govt is sprouting about focusing less on grades. This isn't so in the cs.

Just my quick thoughts on this early Sunday morning.
Old 24-03-2019, 02:10 AM
Verified Member

rapdec87 is on a distinguished road

Quote:

Just a general point - please, do not join the civil service if you are not a scholar. I know different people have different career interests, and some just want a stable job with decent income, so can focus on other interests outside of work.

But please think very carefully if this is the path you want to take. At least try more years in the pte sector first and discover your real interest. If you really have no interests out there and have some interest in public policy, then do join the cs.

In cs, the scholars rule. And the system/culture is as such that every 2 years, they rotate heads/DDs around for posting, and most do not have prior experience handing the work of the specific ministry. The result of this is that the heads/DD, who are usually career-minded, will push the sh!t work to the juniors, who would have to find solutions. For scholar juniors, it is a batism of fire and they know that they just have to work around 2 years, get A grade and move on and promote. The non-scholars have to content with Bs/Cs and nope, your progression will be very slow, despite the long hours (yes, in certain depts in CS, there may be longer hours than pte sector).

Please respect yourself. I seen quite a few non-scholars with much potential. But due to the culture in the cs, they became content after a few years staying at a relatively junior level in exchange for the stability/decent pay, and couldn't move out to pte sector due to fear of change or just don't have the relevant skillsets. Partly, this is due to the lack of exposure and they don't know whats out there, given that many joined straight out of university. Thus, they lack the worldview and are just bureaucrats.

If you are still young and not a scholar, try something out there and discover your interests, and mind less about the pay first.

Please don't believe the bs the govt is sprouting about focusing less on grades. This isn't so in the cs - the culture is elitist and the way things are going, it will always be so.

But don't get me wrong - some scholars are indeed very good and serve with passion; however for some, they got to their position due solely to their scholarship status - the second order effects this brings is the confidence and motivation to push hard by virtue of that status. Mostly, I don't see any special ability/intellect beyond the academic credentials get them that scholarship earlier in their lives.

Just my quick thoughts on this early Sunday morning. These are just my own opinions, formed with my own experiences.

Old 25-03-2019, 12:58 PM
Ambition

Quote:
Originally Posted by rapdec87 View Post

Great statement. However I would still encourage people who were wired properly (fch) to just work for gahmen and enjoy the red carpet. No other country in this world is so fixated and bias towards paper qualification, why not bleed the system if you are qualified to do so. There's no fairness at work anyway, just exploit the loopholes.

As gahmen is fixated on qualification, these heads are parachute in and given expensive courses to prepare them for the difficult work in the next couple of years. As long they don't screw up, they know they are just there to play a while. Encountered so many of these jokes who just think of impractical (visible) and untimely events then arrow people below them. Their boss always approve as they are afraid to offend 'their boss in 10 years time'. However as an opportunity, it is very easy to get B, or A grade if you execute these visible projects well. There's no equality in the workplace. We only get paid well for helping our boss.

Please respect yourself. I seen quite a few non-scholars with much potential. But due to the culture in the cs, they became content after a few years staying at a relatively junior level in exchange for the stability/decent pay, and couldn't move out to pte sector due to fear of change or just don't have the relevant skillsets. Partly, this is due to the lack of exposure and they don't know whats out there, given that many joined straight out of university. Thus, they lack the worldview and are just bureaucrats.
sadly true. Everyday complain money not enough yet when have the opportunity they shy away

Please don't believe the bs the govt is sprouting about focusing less on grades. This isn't so in the cs - the culture is elitist and the way things are going, it will always be so.
Agree. Many people I know only got called for interview when they completed their higher degree. Based on their private degree the system doesn't shortlist em. However in some SB diploma and degree have merged. The glass ceiling is removed, and those who are willing to put in the effort are happy. Nobody said it's going to be fast like private, its still crawling.

But don't get me wrong - some scholars are indeed very good and serve with passion; however, for some, they got to their position due solely to their scholarship status - the second order effects this brings is the confidence and motivation to push hard by virtue of that status. Mostly, I don't see any special ability/intellect beyond the academic credentials get them that scholarship earlier in their lives.
Agree. It's the people below them slogging to fight fire. Some people are great thinkers but just terrible at exams. Sadly our gahmen is afraid to change the assessment criteria as the risk of being demoted is too high. Think of a certain courageous army general who screwed up education recently.

Just my quick thoughts on this early Sunday morning. These are just my own opinions, formed with my own experiences.
My thoughts resonate with yours buddy
Old 25-03-2019, 01:08 PM
Unregistered

Quote:
Originally Posted by rapdec87 View Post

But don't get me wrong - some scholars are indeed very good and serve with passion; however for some, they got to their position due solely to their scholarship status - the second order effects this brings is the confidence and motivation to push hard by virtue of that status. Mostly, I don't see any special ability/intellect beyond the academic credentials get them that scholarship earlier in their lives.

Agree to a certain extent. The CS culture is not dynamic enough for people to be versatile.

Applying to jobs at mid career still requires us to fill in O / A level results and university grades.

Many people do not mind as it offers more stability.
Old 25-03-2019, 08:26 PM
Unregistered

Smile

30 year old with NS

Joined SB in 2014 @ $4k

Confirmed in 2015
Promoted in 2017
Promoted in 2018

Current salary $6.2k+
Old 25-03-2019, 08:34 PM
Unregistered

Quote: