Salary.sg Forums

Salary.sg Forums (https://forums.salary.sg/)
-   Income and Jobs (https://forums.salary.sg/income-jobs/)
-   -   Compare civil service salary (https://forums.salary.sg/income-jobs/885-compare-civil-service-salary.html)

Unregistered 08-06-2020 10:35 AM

Hi, it really depends on you and the jobscopes, which are not described here. So it is hard for others to comment based only on the infor u provided. I think ultimately it is up to u. MX 10 with 10 years of experience in a Ministry here.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 137230)
Hey guys, how impt is the starting salary for one's first job? Female fch from nus. HR is offering around 3.3k mnthly basic pay for a mx-track position in a ministry. I really like the job; the only caveat is the relatively low starting pay.

Have also received other offers paying significantly better in the high 4k range at other ministries, but i think i might excel better in the former position. Is it worth it to sacrifice a 1k difference in starting pay for better career advancement prospects?

Unregistered 08-06-2020 11:09 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 137254)
Hi, it really depends on you and the jobscopes, which are not described here. So it is hard for others to comment based only on the infor u provided. I think ultimately it is up to u. MX 10 with 10 years of experience in a Ministry here.

1k a month for 12 months is 12k a year you're losing out on, even more if you count in bonuses and what not.

Renovations for a HDB is approx 30k.
Wedding related, approx 60k.
monthly mortgage? approx 1k, assuming hdb (500 if you're splitting with a partner)

12K can get you approx 6 budget trips to nearby destinations. 2 luxury ones to faraway destinations.

12K is 8k short of one year of a masters degree. It is enough for a technical diploma or certification.

I'd say go for the money. Doing what you enjoy is a luxury for those who have enough money not to have to worry about things like housing, family, or lifestyle. your decision will come back to haunt you if you do not fall within that category of people.

Trust me.

There will be many MANY opportunities to do what you enjoy later on when life is more stable. Secure financial independence first, all else will follow.

Unregistered 08-06-2020 11:26 AM

Quote:

Hey guys, how impt is the starting salary for one's first job? Female fch from nus. HR is offering around 3.3k mnthly basic pay for a mx-track position in a ministry. I really like the job; the only caveat is the relatively low starting pay.

Have also received other offers paying significantly better in the high 4k range at other ministries, but i think i might excel better in the former position. Is it worth it to sacrifice a 1k difference in starting pay for better career advancement prospects?

the wide disparity is surprising.

i would suggest you take one of the 4k+ offers.
~1.5k/month is a lot of ground to make up in the public sector. do bear in mind that this 1.5k has to be multiplied by your total no. of months of wages factoring in all bonuses.
don't waste your FCH.

besides, you cant be certain that the 3.3k job will be better in all aspects.
there are other factors of importance like quality of management, politics etc.

Unregistered 08-06-2020 11:46 AM

Just to share, i was in your shoes a year ago. I took the higher paying job but kind of am questioning myself alot. They pay you more for a reason. The hours will be insane, the way people treat you isnt going to be very nice.

Given a choice again, i’d have gone for the job i liked more.

Unregistered 08-06-2020 12:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 137254)

Hi, thanks for the reply. I suppose my primary concern is whether the incomes eventually even out between a high performer who starts off with a lower pay (on mx track) and an average/ below-average performer who starts off with a higher pay (on say, the fso track). Or whether the latter will always have a salary advantage, regardless of his relative performance to his colleagues?

Unregistered 08-06-2020 12:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 137263)
Hi, thanks for the reply. I suppose my primary concern is whether the incomes eventually even out between a high performer who starts off with a lower pay (on mx track) and an average/ below-average performer who starts off with a higher pay (on say, the fso track). Or whether the latter will always have a salary advantage, regardless of his relative performance to his colleagues?

fso roles are very siong

tread with caution

Unregistered 08-06-2020 03:23 PM

Quote:

the 1k+ extra every month is guaranteed. career advancement is not. i would go for the higher pay.

plus, they are both ministries, the environment is more or less the same (less varied than private sector)

Unregistered 08-06-2020 08:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 137190)
Hi all, was announced that public servant's salaries are under review and news to be released in june. Any news of pay cut yet?

s://.channelnewsasia.com/news/business/wage-council-covid-19-salaries-basic-12589242

Should be pay increment instead.

Unregistered 08-06-2020 08:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 137323)
Should be pay increment instead.

haha.. joking?

Unregistered 08-06-2020 09:05 PM

It's true. I got a pay rise. My colleagues from other Ministries and agencies too. Don't bother about what the jokers here say.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 137333)
haha.. joking?