Salary.sg Forums

Salary.sg Forums (https://forums.salary.sg/)
-   Income and Jobs (https://forums.salary.sg/income-jobs/)
-   -   Compare civil service salary (https://forums.salary.sg/income-jobs/885-compare-civil-service-salary.html)

Unregistered 25-05-2020 01:59 PM

A GP earns around $15K, based on the reported median salary. Assuming a dentist also commands a similar pay range.

Can we say that a MX9 getting $15K is roughly 'of the same level'?

Unregistered 25-05-2020 03:29 PM

need some advice

Hey guys, I am a Singaporean that have been overseas for the last 10 years before this covid19 situation. I am in the midst of completing my mba from harvard(not flexing or anything) and after staying back in sg for a few months now , i feel like i actually prefer here over us as ppl here have generally better wlb and less taxes. As i have been overseas for the past 10yrs ever since i ord, i have no network or anything in sg(harvard networking only exists in us and europe) and not sure how much sg economy and companies has changed in the last 10 yrs ,i am wondering what kinds of job are available here that would suit me. My academic credentials should no issue, bachelors cs from cornell,
masters cs cmu and lastly mba from harvard. Work experience would be 1 year at FAANG, 3 years at a quant trading firm. From my research , I know these are all highly regarded in SG. Would working at civil or private be better? I am not looking for high salary, would be happy with just total comp of 200K+ as at this age , I want to settle down quickly and have work-life balance. Prefer working at the financial side if not i would just be wasting my mba degree lol but dont mind working at tech companies.Maybe i might prefer civil side since my goal now is to just a good-paying job till i retire.What companies here can allow me to achieve all those?

Unregistered 25-05-2020 03:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 135122)
A GP earns around $15K, based on the reported median salary. Assuming a dentist also commands a similar pay range.

Can we say that a MX9 getting $15K is roughly 'of the same level'?

GP is 15k * 12 mths while mx19 can be 15k * 17mths. so what do you think?

having say so, there are self employed GP who earn fw hundred K to million a year. I think you can't compare a GP, civil lawyer, sales line to a salaried employee

Unregistered 25-05-2020 04:29 PM

So i think it is roughly comparable to an average GP (give and take). I won't compare to those high-end GPs. They are in their own league.

There are a lot of professions which are raking in way more than a MX9. Definitely. Again, i am not in that league. So i will be contended looking forward to MX9.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 135133)
GP is 15k * 12 mths while mx19 can be 15k * 17mths. so what do you think?

having say so, there are self employed GP who earn fw hundred K to million a year. I think you can't compare a GP, civil lawyer, sales line to a salaried employee

Unregistered 25-05-2020 04:33 PM

I can help u to cross out Civil Service. CS is not going to give u a super-scale scheme (to match your 200K expectation) in spite of your heroics over the past decade. Just take it that CS doesn't pay that well to someone who is thinking of parachuting in.Try your luck else where. Good luck.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 135126)
Hey guys, I am a Singaporean that have been overseas for the last 10 years before this covid19 situation. I am in the midst of completing my mba from harvard(not flexing or anything) and after staying back in sg for a few months now , i feel like i actually prefer here over us as ppl here have generally better wlb and less taxes. As i have been overseas for the past 10yrs ever since i ord, i have no network or anything in sg(harvard networking only exists in us and europe) and not sure how much sg economy and companies has changed in the last 10 yrs ,i am wondering what kinds of job are available here that would suit me. My academic credentials should no issue, bachelors cs from cornell,
masters cs cmu and lastly mba from harvard. Work experience would be 1 year at FAANG, 3 years at a quant trading firm. From my research , I know these are all highly regarded in SG. Would working at civil or private be better? I am not looking for high salary, would be happy with just total comp of 200K+ as at this age , I want to settle down quickly and have work-life balance. Prefer working at the financial side if not i would just be wasting my mba degree lol but dont mind working at tech companies.Maybe i might prefer civil side since my goal now is to just a good-paying job till i retire.What companies here can allow me to achieve all those?

Unregistered 25-05-2020 04:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 135134)
So i think it is roughly comparable to an average GP (give and take). I won't compare to those high-end GPs. They are in their own league.

There are a lot of professions which are raking in way more than a MX9. Definitely. Again, i am not in that league. So i will be contended looking forward to MX9.

Ya you can say so. But MX9 is also not easy to achieve. Good luck man!

Unregistered 25-05-2020 04:47 PM

Quote:

unlikely to hit your target in CS or PS. you can try private sector.
a VP in a reputable bank can give you close to 200k

Unregistered 25-05-2020 05:21 PM

Quote:

With 5 years of experience, assuming its relevant to the functions of the hiring ministry or stat board, probably looking at senior manager appointment or scope. Would be very far off from director-level approx $200k. Probably would be a better option to explore private sector options or possibilities.

Unregistered 25-05-2020 05:42 PM

Quote:

I am not looking for high salary, would be happy with just total comp of 200K+ as at this age , I want to settle down quickly and have work-life balance.

Hmmm 200k+ in CS is HIGH.. very very very HIGH.. and in all likelihood only senior leadership or senior management will see those figures.. and the truth is that there is NO work-life balance for the

Unregistered 25-05-2020 05:44 PM

Quote:

I am not looking for high salary, would be happy with just total comp of 200K+ as at this age , I want to settle down quickly and have work-life balance.

Hmmm 200k+ in CS is HIGH.. very very very HIGH.. and in all likelihood only senior leadership or senior management will see those figures.. and the truth is that there is NO work-life balance for them