Go Back   Salary.sg Forums > The Salary.sg Discussion Forums: > Income and Jobs

Income and Jobs Discuss jobs, career options and of course salaries

Compare civil service salary

Citibank Cash Back Card - up to $350 cash back* - Click to Apply Now 

Old 10-05-2020, 04:10 PM
Unregistered

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unregistered View Post
From statistics point of view, i think the chances of you being a stats nus first class honours is very low.

Let me explain why.

Any science major, much less a stats first class honours, should be analytical enough to look at the nus ges.
At 75th percentile it is already 3700 or 3800. So for first class honours even higher. You should have known.

You have seniors who would have tell you the indicative benchmarks, civil service salary are also widely known

The fact that is that you didnt check.

Any first class honours would have done a comprehensive data collection, especially u are a stat major.

Given that my prior experience with stats major is that they believe in data, collect it extensively.

From bayesian stats:

P(first class stats honours|Didnt collect impt info)

=[P(Didnt collect impt info|First class honours)*P(first class honours)]/p(didnt collect impt info)

Since first class is rare, ie p(first class) is small and P(Didnt collect impt info|First class honours) is even rarer
The product is super small

Therefore From bayesian stats, the posterior likelihood of u being a stats first class honours From nus (given that u didnt check the income norm) is very low.
i'll be honest bruh this is cringe

Old 10-05-2020, 04:29 PM
Unregistered

wait why do people find it so hard to believe that there's a first class fresh grad getting 3.3k from a ministry in this climate? like nus is even offering perm jobs at 2.5k. Yall forgot about COVID-19 or just bad at basic economics lol

Old 10-05-2020, 04:40 PM
Unregistered

Quote:
Might be a double post, I forgot whether or not I submitted the reply last night.

Hi, I'm the NUS FCH fresh grad who recently got a job at MCI and has a salary from $3300. I can see you are adamant in not believing me with what you've been posting and saying about me. It's hard for me to prove since I'd just have to show you my contract and my transcript, and I'm not that invested to reveal those. But I just want you to know I'm not here to argue with you, so I hope you won't be so worked up. I'm mostly here just to get an idea as to whether I am an anomaly or this is the new norm due to COVID-19.

What I can say is yes, I do know what is the average for the 75th percentile. I cited the NUS graduate survey and asked for $3800 when negotiating with a private firm who offered $3200, they said no but offered to do a probation period of a few months.

I went to MCI, they offered $3300, people online and offline were advising me to take up the job since the economy was already going downhill and I didn't have the luxury of time to search for a job with a better salary. I was told negotiation is unlikely to do anything since the salaries are pretty standard. With my friends getting their job offers rescinded, I took the ministry job without negotiating.

For the others who aren't so sceptical, do you guys think it's because of COVID-19? I always assumed my salary was that low because of the current climate, but I'm seeing on the other forum pages that some are getting as low as $3.1K despite being second upper.
if that's is the salary they offer, you hardly can negotiate. As you explained, it could be due to Covid19, so be happy that you have a job right now - then jump elsewhere later.

Old 10-05-2020, 04:56 PM
Unregistered

Quote:
I don't think you guys realise how bad COVID-19 is, and that's why you guys have so much scepticism. Other fresh grads are also being lowballed, go to the MCI and IMDA page.

s://forums.salary.sg/income-jobs/11815-mci-imda-3.html
This is pretty depressing news, feel bad for fresh grads this year as they graduate into a recession. I read some articles saying those who grad into a recession tend to have permanent scarring..hopefully the civil service will readjust their pay when the pandemic is over.
Old 10-05-2020, 05:03 PM
Unregistered

Quote:
This is pretty depressing news, feel bad for fresh grads this year as they graduate into a recession. I read some articles saying those who grad into a recession tend to have permanent scarring..hopefully the civil service will readjust their pay when the pandemic is over.
but CS fresh grad pay is already budgeted for, i doubt they will reduce just cuz of covid.
Old 10-05-2020, 05:17 PM
Unregistered

Quote:
but CS fresh grad pay is already budgeted for, i doubt they will reduce just cuz of covid.
that's what I thought too, unless all the posts in the forum thread are by trolls haha 🤷*♂️

Old 10-05-2020, 11:01 PM
Unregistered

Quote:
From statistics point of view, i think the chances of you being a stats nus first class honours is very low.

Let me explain why.

Any science major, much less a stats first class honours, should be analytical enough to look at the nus ges.
At 75th percentile it is already 3700 or 3800. So for first class honours even higher. You should have known.

You have seniors who would have tell you the indicative benchmarks, civil service salary are also widely known

The fact that is that you didnt check.

Any first class honours would have done a comprehensive data collection, especially u are a stat major.

Given that my prior experience with stats major is that they believe in data, collect it extensively.

From bayesian stats:

P(first class stats honours|Didnt collect impt info)

=[P(Didnt collect impt info|First class honours)*P(first class honours)]/p(didnt collect impt info)

Since first class is rare, ie p(first class) is small and P(Didnt collect impt info|First class honours) is even rarer
The product is super small

Therefore From bayesian stats, the posterior likelihood of u being a stats first class honours From nus (given that u didnt check the income norm) is very low.
isn't this secondary school probability..... i'm very sure a stats major knows more than this.....
Old 11-05-2020, 12:39 AM
Unregistered

Quote:
isn't this secondary school probability..... i'm very sure a stats major knows more than this.....
Precisely and he didnt even collect data!
Actually not sec sch lah, uni year 1 module level.
Old 11-05-2020, 12:42 AM
Unregistered

Quote:
Do you realise our pay is made up of two component

1 is the fixed component 90%
Another is 10% variable component

If economy goes worse i think they might just say paycut 10% for all.
But will have implications if they do that to civil morale will be low, and reduce further aggregate demand.

Also historically govt can also reduce cpf contribution but the fear is foreclosure when ppl cant pay their bank loan
Old 11-05-2020, 01:13 AM
Unregistered

Quote:
I don't think you guys realise how bad COVID-19 is, and that's why you guys have so much scepticism. Other fresh grads are also being lowballed, go to the MCI and IMDA page.

s://forums.salary.sg/income-jobs/11815-mci-imda-3.html
lel i got an offer from another ministry paying 4.5k so maybe MCI is just bad? in fact this is a $150 increment from 2019 according to my seniors.